Have you found a new bible translation you like?

by New light for you 53 Replies latest jw friends

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

>>>>I hear that the ESV (English Standard Version) is a good second choice.

I read the NIV when I first got out of the WatchTower. It was actually a gift from a fellow ex-jw. But when I finally joined a church they were using the ESV (English Standard Version) and I fell in love with it. It sounds like the NWT (it's definitely NOT!) so it sounds familiar to me. It was the first Bible that I felt comfortable with. It is great to do studies on words but is still very readable. I'm surprised more of us Christian ex-jws don't use it.

• amicus
    amicus

I actually purchased quite a few translations prior to my WTBTS fade. I cross referenced and read in context, every scripture the Society used in their publications for months, it took hours a day. I found that most of the newer translations I got ahold of were very similar, the ones that varied from this norm were the NWT, KJV and the Douay. The one I found myself using most often was the NIV.

I agree with what most here are telling you. Do a little research. There are some excellent translations available. Find one that gets good reviews from the people who are capable of doing the scholarly translations. I think religious agenda dosen't really play much of a role in the NIV and others like it. Professors are too concerned with their reputations to skew translations.

• Terry
    Terry

THE MESSAGE version actually makes me want to READ the bible!

It communicates extraordinarily well.

The "meaning" comes flowing like mother's milk.

It is like having God sit next to you and read it aloud directly into your heart.

Amazing!

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Reneeisorym. The English Standard Version is actually a revision of the 1971 edition of the Revised Standard Version Bible. I agree that it is a good translation. Regarding the similarities between it and the NWT, the RSV New Testament was first published in the 1940s. The complete RSV Bible (New and Old Testaments came out in the mid 1950s. I think that Freddy Franz and his friends on the NWT translating committee used the RSV as a model when they put together the NWT. Of course Freddy doctered the NWT with JW terminology and slanted some of the verses to fit Watchtower doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit