Have you found a new bible translation you like?

by New light for you 53 Replies latest jw friends

• New light for you
    New light for you

I know, it seems like half of everyone that leaves turns athiest...

But for those of us out there, who figure on still being christian, have you found a translation of the bible that you belive lives "up to par"? I'm really trying to research, but there's SO many, I wondered if you had any input!

Thanks!

• shamus100
    shamus100

I used to have the King James bible, but, unfortunately, the athiest got into me... you know the rest.

If you can get past the the's and thou's, it's allright.

Happy trails!

• seek2find
    seek2find

Hello, and welcome to JWD! I'am always happy to see someone who's left but still wanting to remain a Christian (or become one which ever way you want to look at it.) As far as Bible translations are concerned, I like the NIV, but I do a lot of comparasions with other translations. What I find interesting is that I haven't ran across any so far that have an appendix in the back that has to explain their way of wording certain verses, like the NWT does. This ought to raise a red flag to the thinking JW that something is not quite right about the translation. You might like to read the Paper version of Gods word, but if you don't mind reading on your computer, I recommend a program called E-Sword thats available for free via download. I use it every day along with the audio versions supplied by www.biblegateway.com. If you or anyone else needs help using e-sword please PM me and I'll try to help. There's even a way to get the NWT into it for comparasion purposes. It's a great tool. I'm thankful to Rick Meyers for developing the program and to God for his help in finding it. Take care, seek2find

• rocketman
    rocketman

I'm not necessarily "Christian" but I do like the NIV. It's much easier to read and more fluid than the balky NWT.

• tfjw
    tfjw

I do a lot of comparing of different versions instead of just sticking to only one.

I enjoy using the old American Standard Version (1901, uses "Jehovah"), New American Standard Version, World English Bible (a modern language update to the old ASV, uses "Yahweh" instead of "Jehovah"), Bible in Living English by Steven T. Byington (published by WT Soc., uses "Jehovah"), KJV occasionally, and Leeser's translation.

Those are the ones I use most. Sometimes for JW research I still use the 1953 and 1961 editions of the New World Translation.

• oompa
    oompa

I am torn right now between the Totally Just Flush It Translation......or the Wipe My A$$ Version..........oompa

• r.a.m.
    r.a.m.

I like NIV.

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

Hi New Light

My favorite I use as my study bible, is the New King James Version. But I read several for comparison... the NIV and ESV sometimes the Good News, and the New Jeruselam Bible.

If you value accuracy more than the easiness of the reading, I would go with one that tends to the literal translations instead of the paraphrase.

love

CL

• yknot
    yknot

When I asked this question Anne B suggested:

Another step would be to research and decide whether "bible" is synonymous with "scripture" (as in "all scripture is inspired...").

There are 21 Versions on www.BibleGateway.com (http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/)

The Jersalem Bible is online at http://www.catholic.org/bible/...... (I am currently reading)

New Revised Standard Version online http://www.godweb.org/nrsv.html

And I also find turning to a site that parallels the translations are helpful: http://onlineparallelbible.com/

There are quite of few of us who remain "Christians" we just aren't as vocal at times as our atheist/agnostic brethern whom we love so dear.

• changeling
    changeling

Atheist, but I would recommend the NIV as well.

changeling :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit