by 1914BS 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Wish it was that cheap over here!

Paul

• Gill
    Gill

$7!!! That's an absolute bargain.

Our fuel is about the equivilant of between $10 and $11!

We don't use our car anymore as we both work very close to home. I have a five minute walk and my husband just a five minute cycle.

No way are we giving the government or any blood sucking oil company all of our hard earned cash!

The car will only come out when we go on holiday and if we have some very heavy shopping to do.......otherwise it stays where it is!!

It's time that everyone moved as close as possible to their employment if at all possible, and don't give your money away to people who don't need or deserve it

• Gill
    Gill

What is amazing is that the oil companies are being permitted to destroy the economy and inflation figures, and even lives of people all over the world.

They tell us that the Terrorists in this world are Muslim fanatics but I think that the oil magnates and the profiteering speculators are the real terrorists in this world and they will kill millions if they manage to bring unafordable food and starvation to the most deprived people on this planet.....but maybe that's their plan! Cut off the 'drift wood' and just keep the hard working middle classes!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Wish it was that cheap over here!

Paul

Wish we had universal health care and good public transportation and commuter trains over here. Gill, if most of us park our cars, we ill lose our jobs and be unable to make it to places like the grocery store safely. I just turned a job down that was full time because it would involve a 25 mile commute one way five days a week. Instead I took a part time job near my babysitter at minimum wage. Now I need to find another part time or full time job nearby. Michigan's economy is almost bust. It's the worst state economy.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    ) Europeans have been paying these prices for years (and choose to drive more fuel efficient vehicles because of it)
    b) People still pass me on the highway going well over the limit so must have money to burn

You don't need to change your car to drive a more fuel efficient vehicle - just plan your trips a little to cut down on the runs you make a shave a few km/h or mph off your speed and you will save money on gas.

Europeans generally have better mass transit, better infrastructures and in many European countries you have 2/3 cylinder cars with very small engines that require less gas to zip around the cities. Europeans live in smaller countries - building up instead of out due to necessity so the circumstances are not parallel. I was born and raised in Canada so I am fully aware of living rural and the costs incurred to live where you work - I also lived where I worked and as factories shut down due to NAFTA (moving to Mexico) more people had to leave the place and the very way of life they planned (including saving on the cost of commutng) to being a forced commuter because then they couldn't afford to move into the city because the cost of housing was too high. I also know about heating costs and the cost of snow removal and running your car more efficiently but having to run it enough to de-ice it - a lot of people don't have garages to help.

I agree, people pass on the highway all the time - on the flip side I've seen a heck of a lot more people driving slower than ever before. Many people, especially those who have always lived in smaller communitites and rural areas, both in Canada and the USA, would be used to bulking up their runs to town to pick up supplies.

This is beyond a few trips to the mall-when the guys who have speculated in the market and made a lot of money doing so, recognize that 1/3 of the cost of gas today is a direct result of over speculation, then it clearly spells not an issue of supply/demand but an issue of manipulating and gouging. IMHO. sammieswife.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    My car gets 25-28
    I just turned a job down that was full time because it would involve a 25 mile commute one way five days a week.

8 dollar per day to go to work and back. 40 dollars per week. 160 per month. Face it, it was a bad decision to turn away a full time job when you say that jobs are hard or impossible to come by in your state.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Unfortunately, it's a small percentage of the planets population that consumes most of the resources. Some poor family in Africa isn't using any gas, some moron in LA driving a Hummer is wasting lots.

While the hummer type might still be out there - they represent the very wealthy - and those are the guys that are making money off this anyway. You can't put the other 99% of the people in the same category.

As for Africa and poor famiilies - China is stripping it dry and Africa is letting itself go. The usage will and is expected to jump in China and India one hundred fold over the next few years despite no infrastructure there and no an increase in population. The poor in Zimbabwe now sit amongst acres of unused farm lands that once were able to feed the country - a result of poor government creating a poor people and I think that spectre speaks for bad government as a whole. Leadership when corrupt/self serving destroys a people and at any given time, the leadership in any single western country could have enacted laws ensuring that people fall in step with fuel efficiency regulations and energy sources.

I don't think Mugabe is driving a Ford Focus from what I've seen.........sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    People who don't live in the USA and have universal health care and good public transportation have no idea how hard it is for most of us Americans who don't earn large salaries. These fuel prices are killing us. All of our products have gone up in price.

I've lived in both countries and I agree about the health care. On the flip side, Canada is very spread out so mass transit isn't a lot better than the States but definitely agree - Canadians don't pay their own health care after taxes and in some provinces like Alberta (I don't know if it still exists) they used to have a great energy rebate/subsidy that helped out in the winters, so it is easier to suck it up and work with it. sammieswife.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    My car gets 25-28
    I just turned a job down that was full time because it would involve a 25 mile commute one way five days a week.

8 dollar per day to go to work and back. 40 dollars per week. 160 per month. Face it, it was a bad decision to turn away a full time job when you say that jobs are hard or impossible to come by in your state.

Wrong. You answered without all the details and facts. The job pays minimum wage. I still have to drive all the way over my babysitter's which would add ten more miles to the 50 miles of driving just to get to the job. The job involves driving my car from job to job during the day, too. The company only pays 37 cents per mile. My car is old. I have 168,000 miles on it. 37 cents per mile will not cover the loss of my car if it breaks down. I would be looking at spending more than $160 per month for gasoline. I have other places to drive besides work as well, that cannot be reached on foot, especially during the harsh Michigan winters. The job would not have paid enough to make ends meet for two people. Do you know what minimum wage is?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Perhaps there may be increased parking fees that eat up the dollar amount and an increase in insurance fees if you live in another area. We got hit with that. Move to a small town, different zip, renegotiate for a much higher deductible and do some rearranging and our insurance went up for the year instead of saving me the 30% I thought it should. sw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit