Gas to hit 7 dollars per gallon

by 1914BS 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I can only speak for middle America. Most of us live in small towns and the work requires fuel. Getting to and from work is one problem. The guy who digs your basement, repairs your septic tank, farms, runs a cement mixer or generator on a construction site will have to charge you more to do the work they do.

Mowing the lawn used to be the cost of the change found in the couch or laundry. $20 to fill a lawnmower ... the grass gets cut every week and a half now. We run the horses in the yard a couple of days a week now days... it helps.

For those of us who have no alternative transportation available... wages will have to rise to cover the cost of commutes. Those costs will pass along to the products you folks wont buy because all your cash is going to the higher prices you pay... plus the added cost of your transportation costs. Suburban -SUV... any one who could trade off a truck they dont need is doing it. Those of us who need capacity and horsepower to make a living ..get screwed double. BTW... my truck gets over 21 mpg with the livestock trailer parked.

If the USA-Canadians would turn their backs on OPEC for a few months and tough it out on domestic production the Arabs would cut out the extortion.

Old wells got restarted when crude hit $100Barrel.... plus exporation took off at that price. That tell me domestic production was sandbagged as long as OPEC played nice.

Wait until the trucking industry just goes home and parks. There is a train track running near amost all towns of any size in the US... but we got out of the train business and left it as a skeleton industry years ago... especially passenger service.

Bring it on... I know how to drive a "2 up hitch"

Jeff

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

my truck gets over 21 mpg

Cummins turbo a safe guess?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Nope... a good old gas -o-line Chevy. SUV-Pickups are fairly efficient if you actually load them with people or work. Most folks dont...if you need a GEO buy a GEO...

I try to keep my rolling stock plain... someting an Amish guy could transition into when they drop their ban.

Jeff

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

wow, I've never heard of a gasoline full size truck getting 21 mpg! You must drive it conservatively and keep plenty of air in the tires. I do have a friend who has one of the new Dodge hemi's that can get 20 mpg; it has the drop-out-cylinders-at-highway-speeds scheme. My older (96 and 98) dodge diesels can get 21 and 19 respectively. It's odd that the newer generations of Dodge diesels don't get as good mileage as the older ones-- but just shows where the American consumers focus has been wrt gas mileage.

Can't wait for hybrid trucks; best of all worlds.

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev
    I've never heard of a gasoline full size truck getting 21 mpg!

No shit!

My 07 Tundra gets 14 city 18 highway that is it. I can literally watch the needle go down as im driving.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

People who don't live in the USA and have universal health care and good public transportation have no idea how hard it is for most of us Americans who don't earn large salaries. These fuel prices are killing us. All of our products have gone up in price.

Those of us without medical insurance have to make the choice between owing thousands of dollars or going to the hospital when in a serious accident or have a serious illness. And our lovely prez has fixed it so that you cannot file bankruptcy if you become many thousands of dollars into medical debt. So, some choose to die rather than go to the hospital. Do you think GW cares? Hell no he doesn't care and neither do most of his buddies. He has interests in healthcare companies.

I lost a job making enough to pay my bills and save about $200 per month. I lost it over a month ago. I have just had to take a part time job close to home working for minimum wage. My first week is only 20 hours. The job does not offer benefits. Now I will try to find another part time job. It's very hard to find a full time job in Michigan these days. My car gets 25-28 mpg on the highway. You do the math.You think I'm a pampered, whiny, spoiled American? No, I am knocking myself out trying to take care of my grandson and me in an economy ruined by the greed of corporations, special interests group and either heartless policiticians or politicians with no future planning skills.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

People who don't live in the USA and have universal health care and good public transportation have no idea how hard it is for most of us Americans who don't earn large salaries. These fuel prices are killing us. All of our products have gone up in price.

American leaders built the U.S. economy and way of life on cheap oil. Europe didn't have the option of cheap oil so they were forced to plan ahead better than the U.S. Now we're paying the price of foolish leadership

Most Americans do not have access to mass transit in anything close to what Europe has. Again, they were able to think ahead, we didn't.

It's still not too late though. Perhaps we need this kind of shock to invest a few hundred billion into mass transit, serious research into viable renwable alternative energies (solar, wind, etc.) and a makeover of our infrastructure. This country has been through worse and came out okay. It just takes the political will and scientific and engineering know-how to make it so.

Chris

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Do you think GW cares? Hell no he doesn't care and neither do most of his buddies. He has interests in healthcare companies.

You mean tax cuts for the wealthy won't trickle down to you FHN?

It's got to be your fault then, right? Must be because you CHOSE to allow Bush to be president, right?

that's my version of sarcasm.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

not much over 21....

I do drive like a little old man... the thing with trucks... if you buy one speced to pull a trailer efficently you "pay" to pull that trailer when the trailer is parked.

If my truck had a big block it would get bad mileage all around... it drops about 1/3 when I pull the stocker... dont ask with the travel trailer... but for the WORK it does ... still fairly efficent.

I have costed- out diesels (for over 20 years now) ... I'd really like one... but initial costs, extra service and other costs never worked out for the actual miles I drive. If I was still pulling horses every weekend or camped more I could make the numbers work.

tune ups are cheap.. that Toyota isnt such a deal at that rate is it?

New vs old... I used to drive a 1968 GMC with a 350 and a real 4 speed truck transmission... LWB. It would out pull any truck Ive had since and would get near 20 on the road with AC on.

Trucks and SUV we drive today what happens when men let the girlfreinds drive the truck. ......................Dual cab with a DVD player for the kids is for wimps.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I, thank god, didn't vote for GW Bush either time. Republicans drove this country into the great depression. Looks like they are driving us into one hellofawhopper of one now, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit