Gas to hit 7 dollars per gallon

by 1914BS 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FairMind
    FairMind
    Peak oil just means 'easy' oil. Easy to get at

Very true! It also means that it becomes increasingly more difficult and expensive to keep production at current levels (and eventually impossible). Couple this with the rapidly increasing global demand for oil and you understand why oil and oil related prices (food, fertilyzer, etc.) will continue to escalate. Current production of oil/natural gas is about 85 million barrels a day with current global demand being about 87 million barrels per day. Production WILL decline and demand WILL increase. In fact, China alone at its' current rate of oil use will be demanding about 85 million barrels of oil a day within ten years (entire current world production).

The outcome of all of this is that everyone on earth will be effected. We will have to change our life styles and expectancies drastically. Also, all alternative energy rescources (oil shale, tar sands, wind, solar, nuclear, etc.) will need to be exploited in order to help meet global energy demands. If demand is brought under control quickly enough and if energy production is raised quicky enough (this is all a very big IF) then we might just avoid the worldwide famine and starvation of hundreds of million people that some predict. This a a very SERIOUS problem and we do ourselves a disservice if we view it otherwise.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

FlyingHighNow, I can't say how many times I've watched "Mad Max - Beyond Thunderdome."

So many good lines in that movie.

Tina Turner is so cool in it as is her music.

Dave

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    If demand is brought under control quickly enough and if energy production is raised quicky enough (this is all a very big IF) then we might just avoid the worldwide famine and starvation of hundreds of million people that some predict. This a a very SERIOUS problem and we do ourselves a disservice if we view it otherwise

Or how about this for a thought??

Rather than focusing on all the oil problems and wring our hands about how to stop using those gas sucking vehicles and stop heating our houses...why not stop overpopulation of the planet which in turn extends all the resources for all the people? I don't care how much solar and wind power you use, or how much biofuel you put in your car - none of it matters because it's just more hot air blowing in the wind. The population is set to increase 3 billion more in short order - that in itself will destroy the resources. It's not the resources we have. It's not just how we use them. It's too many people. If a herd of Elk or deer overpopulate in one area, they starve and then the governments run in and shoot them in order to save the remaining herd - why does anyone think that we as a species are so different? Once you clean up your own little space so your water is clean and everyone is happy - you balance off your part of the world so your resources keep on par with demand and people are happy and healthy - what do you think the rest of the world is going to want to do? They'll either emulate you or wage war to take over your resources and so the circle continues. sammieswife.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Peak oil just means 'easy' oil. Easy to get at

Good point. There was an article I read recently (can't remember which magazine now -- I hate Alzheimers) that estimated there is more oil in the oil sands of Canada than in all of Saudi Arabia. There is also oil shale and converting coal. And then there are the untapped oil areas domestically.

But all of this is expensive and I'm afraid we've seen the end of cheap gas prices for a while.

Chris

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Bumper sticker for the Super-burb residin', outsized-SUV drivin' crowd whose party appears to be winding down:

"I was one of the most ridiculously excessive and short-sighted people in an age of ridiculous and short-sighted excess. SWEET"

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And not a drop of alternative energy, especially since we have had a warning back in 1973. And since then, nothing has happened.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    And not a drop of alternative energy, especially since we have had a warning back in 1973. And since then, nothing has happened.

Do you think Big Oil had something to do with this? Perhaps they didn't want people using anything but their big oil. You don't think they aren't powerful? Look at what the drug companies and healthcare companies have done to the price of medical care and medications. Priced them out of the reach of all but those with good insurance. Now thanks to Big Oil your average person is approaching very quickly the time when they will be unable to afford vehicle fuel, heating fuel and the products that are shipped are have raw materials which need to shipped. Get ready for an America of a tiny percent of weatlhy and the rest who will barely make it if something isn't done about all of this. They are talking about it on Sunday news this morning.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

roybatty:

here in Illinois (as in many states) the gas sales tax is a PERCENTAGE of the price per gallon

that is only partially correct.... the figures below are for Illinois.... the 57.9 is cents per gallon (regular) in Federal (18.4 cpg) and State (39.5 cpg) along with the 6.25% sales tax. This doesnt include local taxes like the Chicago tax listed here.... (diesel tax is 65.7 fed/state)

Illinois57.965.76.25% sales tax. 0.003 per gallon tax for underground storage tank fund. Additional 12.75 cpg in City of Chicago

Downstate Illinois gas is currently at $4.09. Missouri is around $3.79-3.85/gal. some have suggested ridding the state sales taxes...hmmm..this in a state where the highways are falling apart and the legislature just sent the governor a budget a couple billion dollars out of balance and went home for the summer, forcing the gov to either make enemies by cutting programs or pissing off the legislators by calling them back into summer session like he did last year...

what a mess.....

Snakes ()

• Angharad
    Angharad
    why not stop overpopulation of the planet which in turn extends all the resources for all the people? I don't care how much solar and wind power you use, or how much biofuel you put in your car - none of it matters because it's just more hot air blowing in the wind. The population is set to increase 3 billion more in short order - that in itself will destroy the resources. It's not the resources we have. It's not just how we use them. It's too many people.

Unfortunately, it's a small percentage of the planets population that consumes most of the resources. Some poor family in Africa isn't using any gas, some moron in LA driving a Hummer is wasting lots.

It can't be hurting people too much despite all the grumbling because:

a) Europeans have been paying these prices for years (and choose to drive more fuel efficient vehicles because of it)
    b) People still pass me on the highway going well over the limit so must have money to burn

You don't need to change your car to drive a more fuel efficient vehicle - just plan your trips a little to cut down on the runs you make a shave a few km/h or mph off your speed and you will save money on gas.

• Angharad
    Angharad

That was Simon BTW: didnt notice I was logged on!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit