Gas to hit 7 dollars per gallon

by 1914BS 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Maybe they didn't teach their grandchildren? Who is teaching kids anything anymore? They park them in front of their x boxes or TV sets and they don't teach them anything. I tried to grow a garden back in the 60's. No one would help me and the effort failed. I was 9.

You seem to have a sense of community. The trick will be getting kids around the block to read the garden book you got ahold of.

FHN... if your family did not teach you much I can see why you worry so much.

Hill

• shamus100
    shamus100

I have no problem with Canadian health care - it certainly has flaws, but I'd never give it up. It's a bit of a problem up here, but it's better than the alternative.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

55 MPH speed limit

Too bad the States wouldn't pass this as even a temporary law just to force people to slow down to get better mileage - then again there is NO shortage of oil so why would they? I wish they would but I know they won't. Much better mileage if you drive slower.

If they were to close the famous Enron loophole immediately, cease all speculation in market commodities immediately, you'd see the price tumble. The big oil companies lease millions of acres of land but they are only using 22% of all that land leased - what are they doing with the rest? They capped 200 wells, good wells, why are they still capped? Why won't Bush open the reserves instead of raising his hoard? I don't think a gas tax or windfall really will work but I think putting old regulations back on would cause a ripple downward right away. Give people some breathing room while they get alternate fuels and better cars into the system. Tax those hedgefunds and investments. There's a good long term goal but no short term and I think people really need that.

PG&E is upping the electricity rate in the fall and again in January...sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    I have no problem with Canadian health care - it certainly has flaws, but I'd never give it up. It's a bit of a problem up here, but it's better than the alternative

I'm hoping that Obama is really fooling everyone with his health care plan down here and that in reality, he's going to implement a single payer system based on the one that other countries including Canada have. Either way I can't wait till he's elected and the change to anything is made!!!!! I never had a problem with Canada's health care either - once American's get a taste of it, they'll wonder why they never embraced change a long time ago...sammieswife.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Most Americans want good, affordable healthcare. It's the political machine, with the medical, insurance, drug companies and lobbyiests who've made the mess we have today.

• shamus100
    shamus100

And I wish the U.S. all the best.

I don't know exactly why Canada has this bad rap about our health care. It's not the best, but there is no perfect solution. My American buddies have no health-care, and that suprises me greatly. I cannot imagine worrying about something so critical to our survival, but you must get accustomed to it. Personally, I never travel down to the states without getting health insurance ever.

Sorry to get everyone off topic here.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Hill, I learned a lot of things when I was growing up. I learned to cook, shop and sew. I learned to clean and how to manage and save money. I had my own business babysitting and cleaning house by the time I was 11 because I knew how to take care of children.I had a savings account. I had pocket money. I didn't learn to garden though. I didn't live near my grandparents when they were young enough to teach me. I did learn to fish, but was not allowed to clean the fish. I had four brothers who cleaned the fish. My father was aways gone off all over the world. He worked in the oil industry. He was an oceanographer. He didn't teach my brothers to hunt because he wasn't around. They did learn a lot from my mother's dad on the visits we had, but they didn't learn to garden or hunt.

You can't blame children of my generation or our children's generation or grandchildren's generation for parents and grandparents being to busy to teach them survival skills. Really, the modern, pampered society we have become is not that old, if you look at the entire history of humankind. It's only been the last 70-80 years that people have gotten away from self suffiency and depending on the super markets to survive.

I helped my babysitter plant her garden this year. But she bought plants and we planted them. She didn't start her own seed. My brother in Tennessee gardens. He learned to do that when he and his wife lived with a cult/commune for six months in Washington State. He taughter Julian a few things while were in Tennessee.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I guess I am lucky. Granparents lost most every thing in the depression.. not saying much they were too poor to notice.

That carried over to us kids who came along in the late 50's and early 60's. We were expected to learn everything, waste nothing, and improvise. My grandad saved all sorts of stuff...

Work ethic and plain old using your head has been a rare commodity the last few years...

If we do have a meltdown in society it will play this way... those of us who "can" will probably get shot defending our selfs from those who cant.

Those thugs will feed off each others... until they all die.

Your a tough old broad...hang in there

Hill

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Or maybe those that can will teach those that can't. That sounds like a better idea. My grandparents came from poor, salt of the earth families. Both sets were wise and ended up millonaires. My mother's mother lived in a very posh neighborhood in NE Atlanta. After grand dad diedin 1977, she wrote me and told me she grew her own garden. She was11 years younger than him. He was 76 when he died. She planted it in a open spot toward the back of her lot. It was a big lot, wooded in back. That's where she planted. I still have the letter in my jewelry box. I had moved away to Chicago by then.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    I cannot imagine worrying about something so critical to our survival, but you must get accustomed to it. Personally, I never travel

I don't think you do if you've been raised in a more socialized system. It's very frustrating. sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit