What makes someone so sure...

by loosie 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StAnn
    StAnn

Primate Dave~ Interesting point about psychic ability. I've had other very minor experiences that could point to some possible psychic ability. I've never looked into it.

Nvrgnbk~I don't have an answer to your question. One thing I do think is that, when I got out to the trash can and heard the screaming, my first thought was that it was a domestic dispute between spouses and that I would be foolish to intervene, might get myself killed. Then I heard the father screaming about the blood and decided, against my better judgment, to go check out the situation. I had an opportunity to make a choice as to whether or not I would help. I chose to help. Maybe in other situations, people decided not to help.

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

WTW~You poor guy. It is difficult to see how much pain you must be in. The JWs really did a number on you and I'm truly sorry. There are truly evil people in this world who cause immeasurable pain to others and the GB members are on the list.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Nvrgnbk~I don't have an answer to your question. One thing I do think is that, when I got out to the trash can and heard the screaming, my first thought was that it was a domestic dispute between spouses and that I would be foolish to intervene, might get myself killed. Then I heard the father screaming about the blood and decided, against my better judgment, to go check out the situation. I had an opportunity to make a choice as to whether or not I would help. I chose to help. Maybe in other situations, people decided not to help.

StAnn

Unfortunately, some may take the questions I raised about your experience to be offensive or disrespectful, StAnn.

I'm glad that you took them as I intended.

Regards,

Nate

• legalchickie
    legalchickie

If god is as he appears (if you believe he exists) then he truly is selective in who he saves and who he doesn't. At the time this child was injured, I guarantee that on the other side of town a child was being abused, molested, dying of cancer or some other horrible sickness. I could go on and on. No matter how many times I raise this issue, no one that says they believe in god can offer an explanation. You just must "have faith."

I was a JW for 25 years, and truly all of those years I could not come to terms with this issue. We were taught that he is a loving god...but gee, somebody has to suffer, even babies and children so they can appreciate living in the new system!! NO THANKS!!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I saw a sign on a church yesterday. Jesus is in charge!

kinda made me chuckle.

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

"If these remained silent, the stones would cry out."—Luke 19:40,

I really wish all the believers would agree to remain silent for a little while.

If the stones cry out, everyone will know for sure.

• Carlos_Helms
    Carlos_Helms

Well...the truth is, nobody really knows all the details of "the divine plan." Some have claimed to understand and have been made to look foolish in the process. If I manage my way through a tough test of some sort, there will always be those who know someone "more deserving" or at least "as deserving"...so why not them? Situations such as the one St Ann spoke of are, to us, great unknowns. We aren't privy to all the whys and hows by which God does things; but to me, if something appears to defy any other logic, it may indeed be to fulfill a particular purpose in the divine plan. Only the one who sees the end from the beginning can fully understand why things happen as they do.

Fire away.

Carlos

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

They have convinced themselves that a supreme being exists and that he's going to save them. It's quite remarkable considering they have done this when absolutely no proof exists.

When however one explores the world around them, it not only provides hard proof, it offers understanding that opens up possibilities to change and fix things.

Faith without proof is held up to be a virtue. Why? How is it admirable to believe in something that flies in the face of logic and reason?

There's an invisible man in the sky who created everything, yet left no proof of his existance. Something that powerful and knowledgeable surely could communicate effectively, so why hasn't he? The Bible? The bible was written by humans and is a retold story of a story of a story of a story. I can write a book that says a blue platypus created everything. With well constructed circular arguments, I can take this book and give it to a group of people and insist that everything in it is correct and most will believe me. I can insist that we can't see the blue platypus because it is a spirit creature but if we have faith, we will go to live with it when we die.

On the other hand, I can dig up fossils, examine the rocks, and look through microscopes and telescopes, and use very complex and sensitive instruments to measure things and come up with a theory that works. Not only does it explain how the Earth and life came to be, others can examine the data independently and arrive at the same conclusions. Not only that, it can be verified over and over again. No faith is required at all.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Lady Zombie, the Blue Platypus is a false god. All praise be given to the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

Dave

• loosie
    loosie

Flying spagetthi monster, quick get me my fork!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit