What makes someone so sure...

by loosie 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• megawatt
    megawatt

^WHOA! If that didn't wake me up this morning, nothing will cause I'm draggin' ass *long week, TGIF*. Nice experience...

Obvioulsy, there's no one right or wrong way, and agree we're nothing special. But, there's something else beyond this life. What? I don't know, just a nagging feeling I guess...

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Interesting story about the boy. While I don't doubt your experience for one moment, I find your conclusion baffling.

So, "god" moved you to save this boy. Why didn't "he" simply prevent the boy from jumping in the first place? Why didn't he "speak" directly to the parents themselves? Why save this boy and not the millions of other children that suffer and die premature deaths? So many unanswered and unanswerable questions. "God" indeed works in highly selective ways.

Or, how about this interpretation, equally unprovable and equally as valid as the "god" conclusion: Humans are indeed psychic in ways currently not understood by science. The child sent out an "alarm" into the collective subconscious. Your subconscious mind "communicated" to your consciousness in the only way to get you to act.

I think that my conclusion even fits for those who pray to "god" for help and get JW's at the door. It even happened to me once in the door to door work. I knocked on a door, and a young woman answered. She had obviously been crying and said that she had just been praying. Nothing long term ever came of that call, but at the time I felt that it was "god" who had directed me to that door.

I read a book written by a practicing ceremonial magician (as in magick). He described occurrences that seemed difficult to explain by mere coincidence. While I don't doubt his experiences, how can I be sure about his conclusions?

What makes someone so sure about their conclusions?

Dave

• Mulan
    Mulan

Why are they so quick to believe the Bible is the inspired word of god, but insist the Koran is nothing? (not promoting the Koran.............just an observation)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    If I hadn't listened to that little voice, which I believe was the Holy Spirit, telling me to take out the trash, that little boy would have died.

Happy outcome, to be sure.

Must have been a special little boy.

Why didn't God tell someone to take out the trash on the wrong day when all of the other little boys that perished in similar accidents were bleeding to death?

Oh that's right, they were needed in heaven.

Or their deaths were needed to teach something to the living.

Why didn't God let the Mason Jar Boy die too, if letting little boys die is such a good thing?

Or if it's all a mystery and not to be questioned, then let's all stop trying to improve ourselves and the world around us.

After all...

God wants the addict to be addicted.

God wants the thief to steal.

God wants the bombs to drop.

God wants the child to have its innocence broken.

God wants the cancer to eat you.

God wants the pain to consume us.

God wants the girl in the jungle to be disfigured by machete.

Right?

It's all part of His marvelous plan.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Nvrgnbk

I don't know why God allows cases of evil, but acts supernaturally in others such as the example by St.Ann. I just don't know.

I am O.K. with that.

BTS

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Perhaps he has a plan for this boy, maybe he will grow up to be president someday. Outside of the rapture, we all will face death someday, even this boy. So in the end it is pointless to try to out think God.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Nvrgnbk

I don't know why God allows cases of evil, but acts supernaturally in others such as the example by St.Ann. I just don't know.

I am O.K. with that.

BTS

I appreciate your honesty, Burn.

Do you understand why some aren't "O.K. with that"?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

It amazes me that people who don't even claim to believe in a God would spend their time arguing over the fairness of God choosing to save one boy and not another.

If I didn't believe in a God I wouldn't waste one minute of my time or breath.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    It amazes me that people who don't even claim to believe in a God would spend their time arguing over the fairness of God choosing to save one boy and not another.

So if I believe I can turn my brain off and close my eyes?

When people claim to hear voices that give livesaving instructions, vague as they may be, it's logical to ask why some lives are saved and others are not.

How do you define sanity, Dave?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Do you understand why some aren't "O.K. with that"?

Yes. I believe ultimately it boils down to thinking you can judge an omniscient deity. Which is hubris.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit