What makes someone so sure...

by loosie 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• loosie
    loosie

That a surpreme being is gonna help us?

On another thread that I started I asked what is wrong with the new age ideas. Some people seem so afraid of it.

One poster mentioned that new age stuff is incorrect because Jesus is for sure gonna come take us away from this world.

Now I am opened minded. I let people think what they want w/o insisting they are wrong. I prefer to have proof of things though, before I can totally say w/o a doubt that I have a certain belief.

But how can someone say that Jesus is going to come rescue us when there is no proof of that? I can write a book and say something is going to happen. But does that mean it will...just because I wrote a book about it?

I guess what I am saying is that there isn't a whole lot of proof either way.. so why are some people so adamant one way or another?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

We're all we got.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was approached by three Baptists in the mall yesterday and let me tell you, wow, one of them insisted she was right because a book said so. A book. No other proof than a couple thousand pieces of paper and some ink on them. That's it. That was their proof, some ink on paper. I'm sorry, but that isn't good enough for me.

When I said that I already read and re-read those pieces of paper my whole life from birth, she grabbed my hand in a kind of slap and squeeze and said, "Well, do it AGAIN!" I said no thank you. I think they want me to do it until I brainwash myself into believing it again.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was so angry afterwards and shaking from it. I hate that kind of thing. The other two were not pushy, just conversational and inquizative. She was a downright pushy fanatic. Mental.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

so why are some people so adamant one way or another?

Because living in mystery is scary.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

so why are some people so adamant one way or another?

Because living in mystery is scary.

Yeah.

Delusion is often more comfortable than reality.

For some, reality is unbearable.

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

Most people are affraid to face the fact that we are alone.

Nobody is coming to "save" us... we have to take care of ourselves.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

They don't care what's true. They wrap their entire sense of self around the idea that they are ok because the real world is just a story with a guaranteed happy ending. If you can't offer a guaranteed happy ending there is nothing you can do for them. Myself, lies hurt me more than the truth. The way I see things, I would prefer to exist than not, so whatever the causation or end, its a happy story for me. Its only disillusionment that hurts, not the not having illusions part. Bring_the_Light

• White Dove
    White Dove

Actually, that was a scary thought for a few seconds until I got more comfortable with it. I think that we are not that special, that there just may be life out there somewhere, but I know for a near certainty that whoever they may be don't know or care about us. We are doing just fine here learning our little life lessons. Screwing up is a part of that learning.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Once I was in my kitchen on a Tuesday afternoon and a voice in my head said, "Take out the trash." I thought, that's strange, why would I take out the trash on a Tuesday? My trash pickup was on Monday. See, I always kept my trash in the mudroom until trash day because dogs would get into it and make a mess. I ignored the "voice" and kept washing dishes. A minute later, I heard the voice say, "Take out the trash." I thought that this was really strange! Why take out the trash? All I knew was that I had an overwhelming desire to take out the trash, so I picked up a bag and started heading out to the alley, where the trash cans were. I kept thinking, "this is so stupid. Dogs are gonna get into this and I'll have to pick it all up again," but I absolutely felt compelled to take out the trash. I learned a long time ago to trust those little nagging feelings. Anyway, when I reached the trash cans, I heard someone screaming. Then I heard a man scream, "Oh my God! There's so much blood!" I ran towards the voices, even though I couldn't see, and discovered a little boy lying on the ground, bleeding profusely from his foot. He was barefoot and had jumped off his back porch and landed on a Mason jar. The jar was imbedded in his foot, almost coming through the skin on the top of his foot. His parents were the ones screaming and they were trying to pull the jar out! I immediately ran over and took control of the situation. The parents were so freaked out that they hadn't even called 911 yet. I knew they could do more damage getting the jar out and that the jar was plugging the hole. If they pulled it out, the boy would have bled to death. The parents finally called 911 and it took 45 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. I laid the boy on his back and held my thumb against the femoral artery in the leg to stop the bleeding. He still bled a lot over a 45 minute span but, if I hadn't known what to do, he would have bled to death. It took surgeons at the hospital three hours to get the jar out without severing his foot. He lost movement in a couple of his toes but that's all. His mother and the ambulance driver both told me that, if I hadn't been there, the doctor's said the boy would have died. I didn't know these people and had never seen them before. The mother told me that she was praying to God for help and I just appeared in their back yard and saved her son. She thought I was his guardian angel. So, I do believe that God intercedes in our lives when we need it. If I hadn't listened to that little voice, which I believe was the Holy Spirit, telling me to take out the trash, that little boy would have died. You can believe it was something else, not God, I don't care, but I've never doubted that there was someone in the universe who knew there was a little boy whose life was in the balance and that I was only a block away and qualified to help. That "someone" contacted me and got me out into the back yard where I could hear the cries for help. I've never doubted that God exists since that day. I think everyone has to come to their own acceptance or rejection of belief in a divine being themselves. It's not something that comes from books. For me, it was personal experience. StAnn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit