What makes someone so sure...

by loosie 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

How do I define sanity? How about being able to put up with so much crap by Atheists and still remain sober and still retain my beliefs and morals without cracking.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Do you understand why some aren't "O.K. with that"?

Yes. I believe ultimately it boils down to thinking you can judge an omniscient deity. Which is hubris.

BTS

An omniscient deity whose existence has not been proven?

Even the believers cannot agree on anything about this God.

Some would say it's hubris to think that one has been favored with divine messages or other unique revelations.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

We live we die.

It's how it has been and always will be.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

To read your posts here is to think that you believe in a deity--you just think it is malevolent. I think you have psychological reasons for your unbelief, not rational ones. These are the real reasons, and the rational ones you provide are window dressing.

Some would say it's hubris to think that one has been favored with divine messages or other unique revelations.

And some would disagree.

BTS

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is all a scam. The Catholic church originally started teaching that God would help people, and then invented a bunch of specious reasons why He wouldn't when these things failed to happen. Paul actually mistook Jesus' teachings literally, making it easier for the Catholic church to cash in on those mistakes. And the Protestant denominations, though more honest hearted, have only what the Catholic church left to go by.

It is used to guilt people into doing more. Make more stupid sacrifice, and God will help you (always an escalator ride). And when said blessings (not if, when) fail to happen, blame the victim for some "secret sin" or failing to advance enough. Hence the escalator.

I have realized that, far from being helpful, God is nothing but an almighty freeloader that hinders your work from resulting in blessings. Meanwhile, ever more demands are made for more and more sacrifice of various kinds. It happens to be worse in the Washtowel, but all religions have the same problem. You do the work, and God impedes and snatches defeat out of the jaws of victory. Then you are supposed to pray more, make deals with this God, and He gets the credit for any (always devalued) results you do get while you get the blame for not doing enough or riding the escalator to the "It's just what you should have been doing anyway, hence no blessing" top.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

To read your posts here is to think that you believe in a deity--you just think it is malevolent. I think you have psychological reasons for your unbelief, and rational ones.

Then you've read wrong.

Pointing out what I consider to be the logical inconsistencies that are inherent in belief in an omniscient, benevolent, and almighty deity is far from asserting the existence of a malevolent deity.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Pointing out what I consider to be the logical inconsistencies that are inherent in belief in an omniscient, benevolent, and almighty deity is far from asserting the existence of a malevolent deity.

Sure doesn't sound that way when you write. Sounds more like "I hate you so much I won't believe in you anymore lalalalalala".

BTS

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

That is what it sounds like to me also

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    "I hate you so much I won't believe in you anymore lalalalalala".

I'm so busted.

• BFD
    BFD

I KNEW IT!

BFD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit