Medical Marijuana

by wha happened? 76 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

• paranoia... BS. It helped me get over the WTS. I'm far more level headed now.
    • depression... BS. It helped CURE my depression. I'm the image of happiness now.
    • Years of regular use makes a person very moody... BS. I can handle stressful and harsh situations while keeping my cool.
    • producing a couldn't care less attitude... BS. My carrier has taken off and I'm up for a big promotion and a pay raise.
    • giving problems within their personal life... BS. My personal life has never been better.
    • You couldn't have stated this better, Elsewhere. This mirrors my experiences to the letter.
        -Breck (Firing it up as we speak).
    • GentlyFeral
      GentlyFeral

digderidoo:

The side effects of regular use is well documented, paranoia, depression, etc. Years of regular use makes a person very moody, producing a couldn't care less attitude, giving problems within their personal life.

Hasn't been that way for me. Joining the jaydubs after years of psychological abuse by one parent made me moody, depressed and paranoid. Being depressed by the jaydub life for over ten years gave me a "couldn't care less attitude".

Even after I escaped from the jaydubs, the effects lingered – emotional "flashbacks," if you like.

Now, I will not claim that weed helped me see the light; I didn't try it until I'd been out a couple of years.

But it has been a very present help in time of trouble. I have to deal with chronic pain, and the doctors will not prescribe enough pain killers to really do the job. On those days when the pills are simply not enough, a few tokes will take me the rest of the way back to sanity. I started smoking about ten years ago, and have had a medical cannabis card for at least five years.

Sometimes I smoke it every day; more often about three times a week. More in the winter than in the summer, I think. My own personal side effects:

• Need less sleep.
      • Sometimes suppresses appetite (and I could use it).
      • Mood elevation, anything from jeweled euphoria down to easeful sanity, depending on the dose.
      • A heightened appreciation for the vast intricacies of the world around you, which is why I love to take my medicine with really smart people.

My short-term memory has also improved over the last few years. I DO NOT attribute this to toking, but to a dozen years of disciplined fear-killing.

gentlyferal

• Honesty
      Honesty
      The side effects of regular use is well documented, paranoia, depression, etc. Years of regular use makes a person very moody, producing a couldn't care less attitude, giving problems within their personal life.

You just described the results of agreeing to a 'Bible' Study, getting baptised as a JW and attending meetings at the KH for 20 years.

• kwintestal
      kwintestal

I use medicianl marijuana to cure my boredom.

Kwin

• Velvetann
      Velvetann

INTERESTING THREAD. I HAVE MS AND HAVE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT THIS OPTION. ITS LEGAL HERE IN ONTARIO, CANADA.

Dogisgod Thanks for sharing that info about your ex boyfriend. I am considering asking about medical marijuana but not sure how it helps.

My MS plus disc degeneration which causes a lot of PAIN. Nothing seems to help and the doctors won't give me narcotic pain killers.

I find it interesting that there is a pill form of it called Meridol. I don't know how to smoke, I hate the smell of smoke and the burning in your throat and lungs.

I certainly don't want to take it if it makes you have the Munchies. I don't want to gain weight.

Velvetann

• avengers
      avengers
      The ONLY negative side effect that I have noticed is slightly higher grocery bills.

Doesn't sound like anyone here knows what "medical" marijuana is.

• digderidoo
      digderidoo

Those who have responded to my comments on the side effect of marijuana use have highlighted how it helps them overcome WT issues and the psychological effect of this. I too upon leaving started smoking pot on a regular basis and yes in the initial stages it helped. There are highs and good feelings with smoking dope, I'm not going to deny that it makes you feel good.

However, i defy anyone to say that it doesn't have an affect on the brain, particularly after long term use. There are other ways to deal with these issues than smoking dope. I can only talk of my own personal experience and felt that i was smoking as a way to escape the reality i was in. Smoking definately puts a person on a different level than others. Some will say that they prefer this level, but for me it just isn't reality. Any use of marijuana to escape WT issues is a misuse of the substance.

From my own experience i was in a relationship when we both smoked, I decided to stop for a long while, she didn't which was her choice. But this definately had an adverse effect on our relationship. If one person in a relationship smokes, whereas the other doesn't, two people on different levels just doesn't work in my view.

I cannot see how anyone can argue that smoking weed on a regular basis has no negative aspect to it. I would challenge anyone who says they have never had bouts of paranoia with long term, regular use. Again from my own experience, i do not know anyone who hasn't.

But at the end of the day who am i to say someone shouldn't smoke it? I aint saying that, i aint the WTS and don't want to come across like that. But i defy anyone, especially a smoker to say there are absolutely no adverse effects to prolonged, regular use.

Getting back to the original point of this thread, medical use however. I just feel that these side effects should be balanced against the pain relief. If after this consideration a person feels that it is the best option then more power to them, however they shouldn't be ignored.

Paul

• VoidEater
      VoidEater

Paul: Some comments...

There are highs and good feelings with smoking dope, I'm not going to deny that it makes you feel good.

As a personal comment, it does not work for me. It causes anxiety and triggers my colitis. If I take enough to feel good, I don't like dealing with hangover-like effects the next day. But that's just me. I am not typical. I haven't touched it in years.

However, i defy anyone to say that it doesn't have an affect on the brain, particularly after long term use.

Asked and answered in an above post. At least some research shows no significant long term effects. Also, as a starting point for others interested, see http://www.medicalmarijuanaprocon.org/BiosInd/Edell.htm.

There are other ways to deal with these issues than smoking dope. I can only talk of my own personal experience and felt that i was smoking as a way to escape the reality i was in.

Yup. Just like drinking or smoking cigarettes. It has to do with your relationship to the substance and how you use it. Not to say escaping is always bad - there appear to be significant psychological needs to escape/decompress, relax/recreate, and even intoxicate (ever wonder why kids like to spin around to make themselves dizzy?).

Smoking definately puts a person on a different level than others.

It can, and often does. So will SSRIs, or other medications. Sometimes this different level is more "normal" compared to others.

Some will say that they prefer this level, but for me it just isn't reality. Any use of marijuana to escape WT issues is a misuse of the substance.

I am glad you have made choices that work for you. As noted earlier, however, there are valid reasons and perhaps biologic/psychologic calls for escape at times. But we agree that there should at least be a return to a baseline along the way.

If one person in a relationship smokes, whereas the other doesn't, two people on different levels just doesn't work in my view.

It appears to not have worked for you, and again I'm glad this became defined for you. The danger is in seeing everyone else's situation as, de facto, like yours.

I cannot see how anyone can argue that smoking weed on a regular basis has no negative aspect to it. I would challenge anyone who says they have never had bouts of paranoia with long term, regular use. Again from my own experience, i do not know anyone who hasn't.

It may be hard to separate your experience from someone else's. I know more paranoids that do not indulge in any psychoactive substances than otherwise. But that's just me.

But i defy anyone, especially a smoker to say there are absolutely no adverse effects to prolonged, regular use.

I am not a smoker. I know several. There are studies that show adverse effects are not a given. I am not saying there are no risks, nor am I saying that it's great for everyone. But adverse effects to prolonged regular use are not universal.

Getting back to the original point of this thread, medical use however. I just feel that these side effects should be balanced against the pain relief. If after this consideration a person feels that it is the best option then more power to them, however they shouldn't be ignored.

Yup. As with any medication.

• Shawn10538
      Shawn10538

I get medical. I have for many years. There are no side effects at all as far as I know. In any case my doctor highly recommends it for my fibromyalgia. Only people who don't know what they are talking about that think there are side effects. It is based as low key said on ignorance and stereo type. It is one of the safest drugs on the planet. It's not even a grug as far as I am concerned. It is an herb. It has been used for thousnads of years for medicinal or spiritual purposes.

• hamsterbait
      hamsterbait

IF I HAD TERMINAL CANCER, like several of my relatives over the years, and I couldn't eat for retching and in agony, I would swallow, smoke, inject whatever it takes to give me comfort.

If you can keep food down, surely that in itself is a good thing rather than just vomiting all the time.

As for personality changes - we are talking about very ill, possibly DYING people. Death brings on the biggest personality change of all!!

We are no more talking "RECREATIONAL" use of weed than that of Heroin - a very effective pain killer when dealing with hideously mangled accident victims, or recrational morphine as opposed to spinal injection for the terminally ill. Of course - any drug, from alcohol to weed affects the personality, but we are not talking "cheering ourselves up" here!

The Bible condemns drunkenness, yet says "Get a dying man drunk so that he forgets his sorrow" (NT says "Give a dying man intoxicating licquor") I dont think this means smear a tiny daub of Cointreau on his wrists!!

From what I have seen, the ones against it usually are not in agony themselves. Just like the anti Euthanasia brigade - but then they often believe on a God who tortures people in Hell for eternity, what do a few extra months writhing with Cancer matter?

It is all very well to demand a rational debate on this issue - but surely emotions of compassion give us some kind of compass to guide us?

HB

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit