Do you think the Society has spies on sites like this?

by easyreader1970 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, I guess they do check out sites like this, if they have successfully shut some sites down. So much for freedom of speech. Their attorneys are sneaky bastards, just like any large corporation. Copyright infringement. Hate sites. Good thing we can still have personal opinion, wonder when we can get sued for that?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Recently (in the past year, I believe) the Watchtower society shut down an evangelical site which carried anti-JW materials. They claimed they were hate literature. I believe the site owner decided to shut down the site rather than "compromise" their message.

Jgnat that is interesting. I wonder how inflammatory the material really was. Did the Witnesses have just cause to complain? Is it possible to read the original material anywhere now to judge for ourselves? There are plenty of Evangelical sites that "attack" Witnesses still around, so how was this one different? In the UK some Evangelicals expressed concern about a new law proposed here in the UK that was supposedly a threat to the expression of religious differences. I think the talk was overblown though because legislators had in their sites attacks on Islam specifically rather than factions within Christianity.

Slim

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

"Are they spies? Not really. The internet is open to everyone."

I have to disagree. If you look at the definition of spying, that is.

The CIA, for example, has thousands of employees. Only a very small percentage fit the stereotype of the 007 secret agent going on wild adventures. 97%+ of the employees are regular old folks. I was recruited during my last year of college, but declined the offer and instead started studying with the Witnesses. Doh!!!

Anyway, the CIA has employees who read websites, books, magazines, newspapers, etc. in various languages (I speak German, and have since learned Spanish, and smatterings of French, etc.), and write reports. Yep, they pay people to do book reports like you did in fourth grade, only the material is CNN-type shit. Same goes for FBI terror intelligence.

So, actually, the CIA and the FBI have people assigned to us as well. Do they spend as much time as Bethel? Nah. They know we are 99.99% harmless.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Yes, I think the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger members read these forums to find out how to work around apostates and shut them down. That is why they issued a strong warning on MySpace--they read the religious forum and noticed all the apostates that post there. They also noticed that the apostates are masters at citing scriptures and other evidence, and appealing to reason, while the witlesses keep using their stock answers and arguments. They have to be looking at this forum as well.

Try to shut it down? I bet they are looking for any way they can to do just that. The last thing they want is to have a discussion board where witlesses and ex-witlesses can share ideas on how to disrupt their boasting sessions, prevent them from getting donations to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund, and post material weeks and months before the active witlesses are supposed to know about it. They also don't want people giving each other advice and support. For obvious reasons, they hate this forum.

• by grace
    by grace
    Are they spies? Not really. The internet is open to everyone.

I think they are spying, it's all about their intent.

As the definition of spying says: to watch secretly, usually for hostile purposes. They are not trying to learn something, or support anyone, they're just looking for a loophole to get into so they can shut it down. Right???

• by grace
    by grace
    But as soon as anyone starts reading information, they're gonna have a serious... crisis of conscience. How can they effectively spy without losing followers to reality?

You would think so, wouldn't you???? Unless, they know exactly what they're doing, and they're fine with it. It reminds me of what Dr. Phil said to someone on his show, the woman said, how could he not remember what he did? Dr. Phil said to her, "Have you ever thought that maybe he's lying?" The grandpa is supposed to be on the show again today....this time, admitting his guilt. Sometimes people do and say things.....knowingly. You can't have a crisis in conscience if you have no conscience. That's a scary thought!

• Open mind
    Open mind

I file my report to Brooklyn on the 1st of each month.

They send me a check no later than the 15th.

om

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Yes they do. And they look at a lot of the "anti" sites.

Seems I've read hear the copywright issues are big with the Society... first Quotes... they went after Jourle's Dirtclod site and I think V has gotten some attention.

HI Bethel Kid!

Jeff

• journey-on
    journey-on

Definitely. I even suspect that one or two (especially one in particular) who were probably supposed to just look and observe,

actually couldn't resist and posted a few times. I have no proof of this. It was just "a rat I smelled".....you know, intuition.

• joebin
    joebin
    I wouldn't be surprised if they offered Simon a HUGE amount of money for the domain name.

Interesting! Not that I personally care if they know who I am, but to some it could be damaging if this site was ever sold to the watchtower without members' knowledge.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit