For Those of You Trying to Quit Drinking - Even Temporarily...

by cognac 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

One week today! ......but I don't think I can make it through the rainy Saturday weekend without a drink ...I'll let you know what happens....lost 2 Kg in weight in a week, just from not boozing and eating fruit and Vegtables and fresh water...cool...if I eat healthy can I have some booze? It's funny how I try to rationalize my drinking....damn that wagon to hell!

• anewme
    anewme

I was so miserable in the org that I started drinking to relieve the stress.
    It all happened innocently enough.

They asked my elder husband and I to provide the emblems for Memorial.

We purchased the best and expensive wine for the occasion.

I also baked the Memorial bread.

We did this for six years in a row.

The brothers would pour the fragrant cabernet back into the bottle after the ceremony.

My husband would ask me to retrieve the bottle and the left over bread.

He would invite his friends over to our house afterwards for a wine and cheese party.

Witnesses brought their own bottle and snacks and we enjoyed association and discussion.

Wow I felt so happy and relieved after sipping that Memorial wine!

I returned to the Wine Barn for more deals on wine and beer for my husband.

This became a regular thing, going to the Wine Barn for deals on alcohol.

Soon I was hooked. I couldnt wait until the meeting was over and I could
    get home and pour myself a tall one.....or two....and then....three.

At the time I did not know I was actually MEDICATING myself for my depression.

new life.

I only stopped drinking COLD TURKEY the night my new friend proposed to me.

That night I sobbed to God in sincere thanks and gratitude and for help to quit drinking and show Him
    how grateful I was for this chance to live again after all I had been through with the witnesses.

Once I realized my new blessings and envisioned a new happy life with someone who loved me for me,
    I was able to put away the numbing medication and turn on and tune in to my new life.
    I have never relapsed. I think LOVE SAVED ME.

And soon after I stumbled onto JWD which has helped me emotionally to recover from the JW abuse.

Love you guys,

Anewme

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Cognac you are doing so well, and I am hoping you are feeling better because you are not drinking. Thanks for sharing this with us and maybe helping us drinkers to wake up and see that its not healthy to drink everyday.

I didn't know you drank, you are very brave coming out with this, and if you can admit then I decided I can admit it. I have waited 2 days to do it since I saw your post.

I do drink wine every evening. I don't get falling down drunk, just sleepy. I use it as a way to relax. I have recently become disabled and have pain whenever I stand or walk so that is my excuse right now to drink wine at night. I dont think its helping. I am getting sicker, and I think drinking is not good for my chronic disease. I can't seem to stop. I feel embarrassed about this and I do not like admitting it. Also I don't find it makes me happier, it just makes me sadder. WHY AM I DRINKING??? I think its a bad habit. I started drinking when I left the Borg many years ago to numb myself. Its become a very bad habit.

I would like to join you on Monday in this No alcohol marathon!! I need help and encouragement. I would like to help you and others too by Not drinking.

Velvetann

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    One week today! ......but I don't think I can make it through the rainy Saturday weekend without a drink ...I'll let you know what happens....lost 2 Kg in weight in a week, just from not boozing and eating fruit and Vegtables and fresh water...cool...if I eat healthy can I have some booze? It's funny how I try to rationalize my drinking....damn that wagon to hell!

You sound like me. It's rainy and I will have my wine tonight. :\

• cognac
    cognac

Wow Velvetann, your post brought tears to me. I don't drink to get falling down drunk either, but it was every night.

It took me a long time to admit it after Oompa did... It's a difficult thing to do and talk about and I'm proud of you and others who did and are trying to do something about it.

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Thanks Cognac for listening

It is something I don't admit to anyone and to do this on this open forum is very embarrassing and humiliating for me. I know some people I really like on here and respect are very anti booze.

I would like to do a support thing with you and whoever else is on here that wants to do it. I know as you said we might fall down sometime but its a very good incentive.

So do we do it open forum or maybe privately also on PMs.

Oompa you did so well - 10 weeks WOW. I knew you talked about it a few months ago but then I didn't hear anything more about it. Here you did 10 weeks and we should or I should have been cheering you on. You can get back to it, I know you can.

I am in touch with a very sweet exJW lady in Georgia, I met her on another exjw group, she has been suffering terribly with her pain at having left the religion (10 years ago) and losing her family to it. We have been emailing back and forth and she said she was drinking too much and everyday. She joined AA 2 weeks ago and then she started drinking the very next day again so AA went out the window. I didn't admit to her that I had a problem. Now she says she hasn't had a drink in 8 days and is feeling better. I think I will email her and admit that I need to stop too. Thanks Cognac for starting this.

Velvetann

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I usually give up drinking during Lent every year

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Anewme, that post was very touching.

Paul

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Anewme

Thanks for sharing your story. I am so happy for you that you have found happiness and don't need to self medicate anymore. You are a good example for all of us who are struggling with it.

Velvetann

• cognac
    cognac

I'm happy for you anewme.

Well, I screwed up. Last night I went out with Hypnotic dancing and had a few drinks. I'm actually not mad at myself though, because I wasn't drinking because I was upset over anything. And I only had a couple of drinks. Oh, well.

Back on the bandwagon today...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit