For Those of You Trying to Quit Drinking - Even Temporarily...

by cognac 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch

I always was a bit of a party type and the drinking went hand in hand with that. It got to the point where I was going out every night after work, often closing the bar down, coming in to work half cut still, missing band practise, standing up my girlfriend regularly, getting hammered alone, etc. This went on for years until one day I broke down and knew something had to change. I quit cold turkey for over a year on my own. I looked into things xjw for the first time and there found one of the reasons for my self destructive habits. I changed my habits and priorities, lost a few "friends", felt like an outsider in certain circles but gained a lot of self respect and a better state of being.

That was a few years ago now and though now I sometimes drink on the weekends, it's something I watch out for. I don't drink when I'm feeling down or just because. I say no when invited out for drinks after work. I don't drink alone. I don't drink & drive. I stop myself before crossing the Rubicon. I know where the road leads to and I didn't like being there. Of course, that doesn't matter when you're half in the bag but it's the choice before that I make, which can be tough sometimes because the mind seems to work against you and you find yourself following where the feet are running to.

One day at a time.

BTW, here's a post I made some time ago on the subject. I hope you find it amusing,....:)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/116848/2052560/post.ashx#2052560

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Good for you, Twitch, and everyone else too!

I can't take all the credit for my personal rule of drinking (posted earlier in the thread and quoted a few times) - it was my therapist's idea when I was going a few years' back - but I CAN take credit for actually applying it and being in tune to myself.

Rachel

• garybuss
    garybuss

Alcohol doesn't work in my car and it doesn't work in me. Quitting didn't work for me. I didn't have any problem with quitting. I was good at quitting. I had a starting problem. Quitting is hard, not starting is easy. That's just a deferral issue. I haven't started today. I didn't start yesterday. I do have serious plans not to start tomorrow.

I'm a big enough sphincter sober.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Something sticks with me that i have heard, is that its easy not to drink, you just don't pick up that first glass. It's as simple as that.The hard thing to do is to deal with all the crap while your not drinking.

There was a time when i would drink every night and for years. Once i decided to do something about it, it was so unusual to wake up without a hangover, it's a great feeling, i thought wow i want more of this.

I'm off to bed in a bit and i know i will wake up with that feeling. That's one thing i hold dear now.

Paul

• Twitch
    Twitch

Goddess,

True words. The credit for making it happen is all yours. As it should be. Good on ya, :)

Digderidoo & garybuss

Good points. It's not that hard not to start.
    And feeling good in the morning is underrated; who would've thunk it?

lol

• cognac
    cognac

Hi, check in time for me! I'm going to see after a month what I want to do... - If I want to keep going or not.

Anyways, for those of you trying to stop, how's it going?

Today is day 11 for me!

• hubert
    hubert

Cognac, I have quit in the past for months, even years. Now, I just cut back on it. I only drink beer, no hard stuff or wine. I buy a six-pack usually once or twice a week. I started buying the 18 pack because it was a little cheaper, but found that I ended up drinking more.

Bottom line, if it's in the house, I'll drink it. So, it stays in the liquor store until I get the "urge".

Oh, and I drink lite beer, too. Does that count for anything?

Your doing great, cognac. Keep it up.

Hubert

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

I, too, have an alcohol problem. I was seeing a guy in early 2007 who bought a 6 pack of beer and put it in my fridge. Things didn't work out between us and at the end of that same year, I was seeing another guy who found and drank a few of them. I just checked, there is still one bottle left. I've had that 6 pack in my life longer than either of those guys.

• oompa
    oompa

Cognac, I am on my third...maybe double gin and tonic.......I have not read any of the replys yet....I had stopped for 10 weeks until two weeks ago and have overdrank twice since in the past two weeks, maybe a third last night, and I guess this drink makes it a fourth tonight..........just thought you might want to know.......................oompa

• Currientology
    Currientology

Day 3... I'm sober. Make it stop!!!
    Help... NURSE!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit