For Those of You Trying to Quit Drinking - Even Temporarily...

by cognac 70 Replies latest jw friends

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

I used to drink a lot as a JW. Now, not so much, though I do enjoy red wine every once in a while.

I personally use the following rule to decide if I am able to have a drink or not: If I feel sad/depressed/lonely/anxious/any negative emotions I choose not to drink. If I'm feeling content/happy/confident/any positive emotions, I will give myself permission to drink.

This has worked well for me. No need to exacerbate negative feelings; I am pretty good at feeling those feelings all on my very own, thank you very much.

Good for you, Cognac, my belief is the further you move from the negatitivity of the JW's the less of a "need" to drink you will find! Good luck!

Rachel

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Ok, I need help too. I can't seem to give a crap about alcohol. There was a short period of time where it was fun to go out and get wasted, now I'll buy a case of beer or hard liquor and forget to drink it.

Its interfering with my social relationships. I want to be a drunk, help me!

I don't know what the deal is, I have a lot of alcoholics in my family. I must have gotten the recessive gene. poo.

Bring_the_Light

• cognac
    cognac
    Its interfering with my social relationships. I want to be a drunk, help me!

You brat Bring the Light, lol!

I used to drink a lot as a JW.

Isn't it a requirement for a JW??? lol, seriously, it's the only thing JWs can do so most do drink...

• Currientology
    Currientology

Looks at the wine rack to my right... counts... 11 bottles of red...
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmust be strong. Must not open!!!!

• noni1974
    noni1974

I used to drink a lot more than I do now. I used to go out and drink a lot when I was in my 20's. Now that I'm in my 30's I don't feel the urge to go out or the urge to drink. In fact drinking makes it hard for me to sleep so I tend to not drink if I have to go to work the next day. Since I'm working 2 jobs at the moment I have to go to work everyday so I don't drink at all.

The last time I had a drink was the Friday May 2. I went to a club to see my friend I just hooked back up with after 12 years sing. I drank that night but I was still hung over the Sunday after. It just makes me feel like crap for a few days after. When I was in my 20's I could drink all night and go to work the next day no problems with hang over at all. Now if I do drink I always have a hang over or at the very least I get really bad sleep.

I also have bad acid refux and drinking causes me to have issues with that as well. So when I do drink I throw up because of the acid. If I take me old pills I would be fine but I got new meds and it says not to drink on it. I have to ask if it's ok to have one or two drinks on my new meds or not. I should be ok with just one or two drinks.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I drink a few beers every nite. It is in my blood. Even tho I sometimes do not want to drink I still do. I do not drink as much as I did when I was a JW but I still do. I have been drinking more water every nite. I do not rely on the heavier stuff like I used to. I used to always have margaritas every nite but have since cut them back to a once in a wek or two.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I havent had a drink since Saturday night.

I wouldnt mind quitting or greatly curtailing because of the empty calories and risk of diabetes plus it is a depressant and effects my thinking.

Back in the 80's I went 5 years out of 7 without drinking and attending AA.

Following their program and meeting attendence I had 5 years of Nirvana, paradise, but eventually fell off the wagon.

I will check in here through out the week. My big test will be the weekend.

• Octarine Prince
  • hubert
    hubert

Cognac, I didn't know you drank, until I saw you sober one day.

Hubert

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I do enjoy my wine and whiskey very much. At the end of last year I said I wouldn't drink until my birthday - not because I was drinking to much but just to see if I could do it ... and I did. I didn't drink from December 31st 2007 until April 20th 2008, my friends went overboard and I got so very drunk (I really didn't mean too) I felt horrid and shakey.

Last drink was last week monday night - had 2/3 glasses of red wine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit