For Those of You Trying to Quit Drinking - Even Temporarily...

by cognac 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

I really enjoy a good glass of red wine but my body doesn't! If I have more than one glass I feel so sick it's just not worth it. I use to be a binge drinker, I went for ages without any alcohol but when I did drink I would hav way too much. I'm glad those days are over.

Good thread cognac.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Ok, I need help too. I can't seem to give a crap about alcohol. There was a short period of time where it was fun to go out and get wasted, now I'll buy a case of beer or hard liquor and forget to drink it.

hahaha...My husband tells me I'd make a terrible alcoholic. I'll have a sip of his if he's drinking something, or I'll order a beer if out having Mexican meal. I don't consider myself a drinker at all. It's like chocolate to me. love it love it..but too much makes me feel like shit so I don't really think about it. I do think about quiting other habits/vices ..even temporarily.

lisa

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I was drinking very heavily, 5 or 6 whiskeys a night. Then I went down to 4 or so glasses of wine. Now I drink for fun when I have company or go out.

My therapy is what has helped me. I was drinking to dull my pain and drown my memories.

momz

• Sirona
    Sirona

In the past I have consumed enough alcohol to last me forever!

I'm pregnant and I haven't had one alcoholic drink for 5 months (since I found out. Fortunately before I found out I had already cut down a lot and I was 6 weeks pregnant when I found out).

I fully intend to not have any at all when the baby is born. Plus I'm going to try and breastfeed so I can't drink then either!

I personally use the following rule to decide if I am able to have a drink or not: If I feel sad/depressed/lonely/anxious/any negative emotions I choose not to drink. If I'm feeling content/happy/confident/any positive emotions, I will give myself permission to drink.

This is great, because like Momz, I found myself only drinking to dull the pain. Coping with ordinary life without turning to a crutch like alcohol is the most important thing, IMHO.

Now the alcohol isn't an option (pregnancy) I find I can cope very well without it anyway! Plus I feel 100% healthier.

Sirona

• chickpea
    chickpea

i, too, echo rachel's method of determining if i will or wont imbibe spirits.....

I personally use the following rule to decide if I am able to have a drink or not: If I feel sad/depressed/lonely/anxious/any negative emotions I choose not to drink. If I'm feeling content/happy/confident/any positive emotions, I will give myself permission to drink.

i was reared in a raging alcoholic home environment, had my own alcohol issues in my teens, decided my drug of choice was other than EtOH, and spent 20 years getting very good at being very stupid.... pleased to reveal i am 18 years free of substance abuse issues....

the second my head says>>> i need a drink..... i KNOW that having a drink is precisely what i cannot and will not do.....

occasionally i will have a drink ( maybe 2), with mates at a meal or an event .....

i will NEVER drive within 2 hours of having consumed an alcoholic beverage, so if there is even a slight possibility i will have to drive ( kids make that an almost always possibility) then i wont even entertain the thought of having a drink

my feeling is..... if you need it, then look for a reason not to and get the support you need to make it a choice and not an addicition

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

What? Me? Drink?

I am not as thunk as you drink I am...
  • digderidoo
    digderidoo

Good for you cognac.

I have posted here at length about my alcohol issues.

In January i decided to go a month too. The problem with setting targets like that is that when you do that month, what is going to happen then? It really depends on what you want.

It's good that you have the desire to go a month without a drink, but i am just saying be careful after that month period if you do not want to go back to drinking like previously.

I went 7 weeks, then drank over a weekend, then another 7 weeks till my birthday. Since my birthday i have drank maybe on two occasions. But now haven't had a drink for a week.

I feel its better to say that your not going to drink today and repeat the same process tomorrow, rather than set a monthly target. If that works for you that's good, but what i have said preferring daily targets works for me.

Paul

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

You may find this site useful, depends on how much of a problem your drinking can be

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/

Paul

• wings
    wings

I will try to remember to go back to this thread when I am ready to quit. Right now I have too many balls in the air, drinking being one of them. I'm afraid if I drop one the rest will come falling down.

wings

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yeah Cognac this is my major malfunction! Lets see Saturaday was my last and today is Thursday, but I hope to last a few months at least...keep me informed, the weekend will be hard!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit