For Those of You Trying to Quit Drinking - Even Temporarily...

by cognac 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Good for you Cognac (maybe you need to change your screen name while you're at it, lol...)

I haven't hardly had a drink for about 12 years (had to stop for medical reasons)...

But I understand that being in the org can lead to complulsive-addictive activities to deal with the mental duplicity and guilt caused by being a good JW.

I'm dealing with that myself, and being free from the org is leading me to feel much less dependent on compulisive-addictive behavior.

Keep it up... you don't want to be a slave to anything after being a WT slave long enough....

A@G

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

I like my glass of red wine, I don't over do it though. I mostly only drink water with lemon, and of course coffee.

Sounds just like me.

• Open mind
    Open mind

The Watchtower recommends doing a "30 day test" (or longer) from time to time.

Blind pig finds the occasional acorn.

A good idea, IMO. Successfully did one earlier this year. And no, I don't consider O'Douls as cheating. (Their amber brew is the best, IMO.)

Best of success to you. Every liver needs a break now and then.

OM

• Currientology
    Currientology

I'm on day 2 :o)

I enjoy my red wine. But, it's time to take a short break... as I've been a rut and it's easy for 1 glass to become more that one... However this weekend I am looking forward to nice weather, BBQ, friends, and wine :o)
    The following Monday will again be day 1.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

alcohol is a depressant, so the more you drink the more depressed you can feel. And it definitely interferes with sleep. I think I'm lucky that alcohol doesn't appeal to me - I have other addictive stuff going on (greasy salty yummy food!)

• cognac
    cognac
    I'm on day 2 :o)

Great!!!

The following Monday will again be day 1.

Let us know how it goes!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I only drink when I get paid, which is when I buy wine. That's discipline enough, as I can drink every night. I'll never lose any weight if I do that, so I try to limit myself to one bottle of wine every 2 VERY LONG weeks.

Unless my liver was shot or if/when I'm on certain medications, I won't stop drinking. I indulge at home when I can just go to sleep.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

I didn't know the WT recommended the 30-day test. I thought it was just from that episode of The Simpsons. I've done that before, wasn't too terrible.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

yeah-

The Borg made me so frustrated I was killing myself with alcohol. (well - that was my excuse)

Since i threw my hands up and decided it was all BS the urge to drink has gone.

HB

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Back in my early 20's I drank daily for several months. One day I realised at 10 am that I was planning on what I should drink later that day.

I walked away from booze for a long time after that... and that was a period of high JW induced stress for me.

Now days I may drink a beer out for dinner once a year... could not tell you the last time I brought some home. I have a quart of George Dickle thats aging nicely under the sink... it's 3 years old and 3/4 full... one or two shots every winter when the bones hurt.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit