For Those of You Trying to Quit Drinking - Even Temporarily...

by cognac 70 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

Figured I'd do a topic for it. I'm trying to quit for at least a month - just found I was drinking a bit to much with all the stress...

Anyways, its been 10 days since I last had a drink.

How long has it been for you? How long are you trying to go without drinking?

Maybe we could post here daily or at least periodically on how we are doing with it and what we are going through as we are trying to quit???

Edited to add:

I notice that it takes people a lot of times before they can really stop drinking for a period of time. Don't let the nervousness of not being able to stop keep you from posting! We are here to support eachother, no matter how many times that it takes!!! Even if it takes us 30 1st days...

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

My drinking is a small fraction of what it was while I was in the org and trying to get out. I found that alcohol helped ease the pain.

I never quit cold turkey, but I find I no longer have the need to drink like a fish.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I have to keep it in balance. Drinking alcohol is an intregal part of my job. I really have to keep it all in perspective. Sometimes it's not as easy as others.

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

It's not safe to go days without drinking! I had a tall glass of ice water not a half hour ago.

(he he he... I know, you meant alcohol....) I wish you success in your endeavor--good for you, in recognizing and dealing with it before it becomes "a problem". This support thread is a good idea.

I enjoy a glass of wine in the evenings, but lately I find it leaves me depressed / sad afterwards. So maybe I should stop, too.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

My last drink was last night.

I enjoy drinking.

BTS

• cognac
    cognac
    I never quit cold turkey, but I find I no longer have the need to drink like a fish.

Guess there are some who may say I haven't either cause I still have Odouls- which have less then .5% in them. I don't consider that cheating, but some do...

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Should probably join this group! I'll think about it over a glass of wine tonight!

S4

• cognac
    cognac
    I enjoy a glass of wine in the evenings, but lately I find it leaves me depressed / sad afterwards. So maybe I should stop, too.

Come join the club!!! I noticed that also, which was part of my decision to quit for awhile...

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I drank a fair bit when I first left the JWs. Once I got into the habit I found I couldn't sleep without it, so I'd have a couple before going to bed. Once it wore off I'd wake up, usually around 2 AM, so it wreaked havoc with my sleep, and by extension, my performance at work. I also found it contributed to my being depressed.

I cut back and now average 1 - 2 drinks a week. Most of the time I don't even think about alcohol, and I have no problem drinking soda water while everyone around me is having beer, wine, or liquor.

W

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I like my glass of red wine, I don't over do it though. I mostly only drink water with lemon, and of course coffee.

Cheer!

hope4others

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit