California JWs -- Are they different than most JWs?

by B_Deserter 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• avishai
    avishai

Maybe minor grab-ass is more acceptable at some of these get togethers, having a beer or four, whatever, without everyone getting counseled, df'd, etc. But "small town" Jw parties were always wilder, rowdier, and problematic likely because of the whole elder "footloose" effect. Drinking, smoking, people doing blow, humping their fool heads off, and that was just the pioneers!

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Oh yes. I have friends out there. Wife swapping, teenage boob jobs, all sorts of other crazyness that wouldn't fly in other places.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I think the USA JWs are a lot more lax than our ones here - very strict here.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Hey, slightly off-state, but I've heard it said that Florida is a "spiritual wasteland" - makes California look good.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Too small a sample. If you go to another state and find a lax congregation, you can easily fall into the trap of thinking all congregations in that state are lax.

This is what can happen. You get a body of hounders in a congregation that do not believe in creating problems where none need exist. True, they will follow the basic doctrine (get caught doing fornication, you will be disfellowshipped unless the other person you did it with is a child, and then you will only be told to silence the child). This can influence nearby bodies of hounders, and they too will become lax. Usually, such congregations will thrive, numbers will grow, and people will actually be allowed to have gatherings and picnics without much trouble.

Then, along comes the hounder-hounder (or the hounder-hounder-hounder), and they crack down on everything. Suddenly, they start hounding. Go to the movies or dance club, and you will be hounded. They will start hounding you for your music. Going online will be forbidden. Going to college will be banned, too. They will threaten to remove anyone from the hounder body that doesn't go along with the new strict rules. This is also when stupid rules about clothing will be made (the white shirt and the no wire rimmed glasses issue likely started from one hounder-hounder-hounder and spread through a whole region).

So, anyone in a relatively lax congregation, enjoy it now while you still can. It's only a matter of time before you will be getting a new hounder-hounder or hounder-hounder-hounder, and a bunch of new strict rules along with it. Or, better yet, get out now while you still can. Then it won't matter--they could have a new hounder-hounder-hounder that will totally ban all entertainment, and if you are out, it will not affect you a bit.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

The hall I grew up in in NC was really lax along with a couple of the other halls. Of course I think here on JWD the horror stories make headlines so it's easy too look at and go, "wow I had it easy". I've also heard Florida halls especially in Miami have almost no rules.

• freetosee
    freetosee

I spent about a year in California, but never noticed much difference. In fact, I was amazed about how similar my host congregation was when I compared it to my home congregation. I found the same characters in the same positions. The big difference was FS. It was handled very lax even during the CO visit. And also the TMS, here in Germany you get counseling and criticism, in California it was more praise then anything else and little or no counselling. I favored the Germany way at that time.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Well East Coast dubs are hip
    I really dig those styles they wear
    And the Southern dubs with the way they talk
    They knock me out when I'm down there

The Midwest JWs I guess are alright
    And the Northern JWs with the way they preach
    They keep their householders busy at night

I wish they all could be California
    I wish they all could be California dubs

The West Coast has the sunshine
    And the dubs all get so tanned
    I dig a formal suit in the baking sun
    JWs sweltering at the assembly

I been all around this great big world
    As a representative of the Society
    But I couldnt wait to get back in the States
    Back to the hottest dubs in the world

I wish they all could be California dubs

• Dagney
    Dagney

LOL Leo!!!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

All of my family who are jws are Californian...since I really don't know any other kind of jw I really don't know...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit