~ Your feelings on aging ~

by FlyingHighNow 87 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks SEEKER 4, I would appreciate it.......

I was taking my 84 year old MIL to Water Therapy over Jan, Feb and March when my husband could not.

I was shocked to see a 95 year old lady there that was so with it I was blown away. She moved like a 20 year old in...... and outside of the pool. She was thin but as healthy as a horse.....It was amazing!

I thought to myself, if I live that long, I want to be that healthy! So many people as they age wind up in horrible situations, a burden to their children or daughter in law. I never....ever want to get to that point.

If anyone is suffering as a care taker...there is a great website for venting and getting help. PM me for the site.

r.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I certainly can't say that I like it.

I was taken in by 1975 and just knew that I would be taking walks in paradise with a permanent smile plastered to my face by now.

I am 56 now.

I do not go gently into that good night. My hair is the color of the last box that I bought. I try to eat healthy, and stay fit. I do have to wear glasses.

Oh, if I knew then what I know now...........

• BFD
    BFD

I don't feel my age at all, mostly. I just had a really bad back ache this month for the first time ever so I decided to go see the doctor for a physical since it's been over 2 years since my last one. I need to lose some weight and QUIT SMOKING for good.

Check out this 84 year old woman dancing...

http://au.youtube.com:80/watch?v=bKRZv6NGjdc

BFD

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I love the knowledge that comes with age. I wouldn't go back to being a teenager for anything! I have enjoyed my 30's so far. I like having experiences under my belt. I don't really mind the wrinkles starting to show up, or even the gray hairs. Boobs losing over gravity, that is bothersome. But pure vanity. The twins have worked hard and deserve to be a bit lazy!

But I do dread the problems that elderly face. I used to be a home health aide, and the things those poor darlings went thru every day was heart wrenching!

momz

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    And even a physically fit person can suffer from clinical depression during the winter of life.

All things being equal I don't know of anyone who puts energy into staying physically fit who is depressed. It is truly the greatest weapon we have against the vagaries of aging.

Mr. Bee is over 60 and I'm getting there. We are biking across France next month, and then biking down the Danube in July. We do these extended bike trips once or twice a year and staying in shape is a priority. Belonging to a health club is key for us. Mr. Bee was a semi-pro athlete and has the old sports injuries to live with - but he pushes through to enjoy life in spite of the aches and pains.

As for the rest of aging - I am totally okay with it so far.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Bizzy Bee...What an inspiration you and your hubby are! Have a great trip! Stop and enjoy some great French restaurants.

r

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Thanks, r.!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Grace, I thought of you as our senior friend here. How old were you when exposed to the org? I recall reading your story, but not when you were sucked into the org.

I was kicked out cos I couldnt do the Arithmitic .620,1914 etc> So you do the Arithmetic for me. I am 81 next month... I started studing in 1961... I was baptised in 1963.... I was D/f in 1987.... You let me know how old I was I cant work with figures AT ALL... I was born in 1927. came to Canada when I was 19 yrs old.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Mouthy - You and I were baptized the same year! Only I was11. You must have been at least a teenager!

restrangled - Steady pace riding on a stationary bike is good, but if you could do what is known as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) or Extreme Interval Fat Burning (EIFB) you would see a huge difference in way less time. You can look both of those up online and get some great direction, but in a nutshell, they incorporate what research has shown to be very important - that you increase and decrease the intensity of your efforts during the course of a run. It's why road biking or running is so much better than with a machine - you naturally have an increase in effort when the terrain gets steeper.

On a bike it would mean starting out with say a 10min warmup at about 50% of your fastest pace, then over the next 5 to 10 minutes increasing your speed and effort by 10% or so every minute or two, until you are going all out at the fastest pace you can maintain for 1-2 minutes max. Then you drop back down to say a 60% recovery pace and do it all over again. And then again. A ride like that would be many times more effective in developing fitness and in burning bodyfat than say riding for an hour at one steady pace. I mean that HIIT for 30-45 minutes would probably be 10 times as effective inincreasing your fitness and in burning body fat as a steady, sustainable pace for an hour or two.

You also mentioned one of the things that growing older gives you - time for yourself. It's a lot easier to take an hour for yourself to exercise now than it is when you've got babies, etc. Yet it's as valuable time spent as can be. BizzyBee and her husband are just what I'm talking about.

If you're riding a bike an hour a day and are even a few pounds overweight, then you're probably not getting anywhere near the training effect from it that you should be getting. Not being able to lift things also sounds odd at your age. It seems you have other physical ailments.

I can tell you this with certainty - to combat aging, every exercise program HAS to include exercise that raises your heart rate to near capacity such as intense interval running, swimming, biking, etc., you MUST lift weights, heavy weights where the last few reps are all you can do and at a pace that also increases your heart rate (did you realize that weightlifting can in its own way be aerobic?), and you need to include stretching and core work such as yoga, core synergistics, etc. You also have to workout a MINIMUM of 4-5 times a week, and you have to restrict your food intake calorie wise, and make those calories the best possible fuel - lean meats, whole grains, vegetables and fruits.

If you do that, you can maintain the physical ability and fitness level of a healthy, athletic 30 to 40 year old for the majority of a very long life. I'm doing it and I've seen it done over and over and over. That doesn't mean you won't die of cancer at 55 - but it really stacks the odds in your favor that that WON"T happen, and if it does you'll still have been able to get so much more out of life due to your superb level of fitness.

It sounds like you may have arthritis. I know very little about that. But you should check out how diet, exercise, etc. can help you there.

What I see about aging, especially here in the US, is that the vast majority of people get old, fat and out of shape - and that's what the culture expects to happen to older people, though it's completely unnecessary. In my office I'm the oldest and by far in the best shape, and everyone else would have a BMI easily in the overweight category and most of them would range into the obese level. One is thin - but she smokes. It's not a healthy looking thin!

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people here who are really feeling the physical effects of aging would say they are "a few pounds over their ideal weight." Be honest. Do a BMI (Body Mass Index) test. It's simple. You can find them all over the Net. That test is likely to say that you're overweight or even obese. Find out what you should weigh. There are also simple tests you can find online to tell you what your bodyfat percentage is. If you're a guy and your bodyfat is over 20%, you're too fat. Mid to low teens would be good, getting into the 10% or so range is better. Ladies can go 5 points higher or so. And honestly assess how often a week you exercise strenuously enough to get your heart rate up into it's target zone - essentially in the range of 200 minus your age.

If you're not taking care of yourself, you can expect to be feeling all those effects of old age, and at a very young age - 30, 40, 50, 60. I just don't consider 60 or 70 to be especially old.

It can be rough to start out for the first few weeks, but you can literally take decades off your physical age in 3 to 6 months of serious exercise and a good eating plan. That's all it takes, less than half a year, for most people to go from fat and unconditioned to lean and extremely fit. And once you get fit, it's way, way easier to maintain that. And the whole process can be fun as hell. Remember playing as a kid? That's what exercise should be like - that same joy of movement and strength and exertion you had as a kid jumping rope or playing ball.

Most people will never do it, and because of that, we expect that fat and feeble is the norm for the aged. It doesn't have to be.

Use it or lose it.

Now I need to get some exercise by stepping down off my soapbox!! Sorry, I'm just passionate about this. I see all this unnecessary suffering and disease, when we could do so much about it if we just took control of our own lives and bodies.

OK, again stepping down off soapbox....

S4

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll
    I am not going to let my aging body stop me from feeling content happy and ALIVE!!!

A&W-- Good for you-----------I think the same way. Gray hair, some people look good in gray hair and sexy.

I enjoy life, be happy and alive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit