~ Your feelings on aging ~

by FlyingHighNow 87 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hey Mouthy...I'm no good at math either, but I will tell you this.....I saw the year 1927...the same age as my piano and it is more beautiful than anything that is produced today. The sound is rich and full....made from long ago african woods not available today.

Thats where you come from too dear.. long ago, rare woods.....no one can duplicate the beauty or the history.

Much love and many kisses to you.

r.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    "I say when we all get to the point we need assisted living, why not all open our own place!! "SENIOR APOSTA-VILLAGE"!!" crazyblongedeb................Thats better than what the WTS offers their life time Bethlites, UNLESS you are of the ELITE of course!

This actually isn't a bad idea. It's a good one. And can we please pipe in canned Led Zeppelin and Ozzy? Depression is an illness that knows no age or fitness level. Depression can be caused by hormonal levels changing. That has nothing to do with how fit a person is. Losing family and friends to death can cause depression in older ones. No one is arguing that physical fitness is a good thing for people of any age. Depression can happen to babies, toddlers, children, teens, young adults, adults, middleagers and those in their golden years. It's not something you can blame on lack of exercise. It's not so simple. Elder suicide is a significant problem. I'd imagine part of the problem is well meaning people telling them just to exercise and/or snap out of it.

• JH
    JH

Sometimes I compare againg to a skyscraper.

I'm 48 storys high, one year per story.

Age and Experience and Glory add up

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Depression is an illness that knows no age or fitness level. Depression can be caused by hormonal levels changing. That has nothing to do with how fit a person is. Losing family and friends to death can cause depression in older ones. No one is arguing that physical fitness is a good thing for people of any age. Depression can happen to babies, toddlers, children, teens, young adults, adults, middleagers and those in their golden years. It's not something you can blame on lack of exercise. It's not so simple. Elder suicide is a significant problem. I'd imagine part of the problem is well meaning people telling them just to exercise and/or snap out of it.

I hear you, Heather. The reason I said "all things being equal," is to allow for these very things. Actually it is a Catch-22: If you are depressed, exercise is the last thing in the world you want to do. If you are exercising regularly, chances are you are not depressed. It's kind of a chicken/egg thing. Therefore, I can honestly say, "If you are putting effort into regular exercise, you are probably not depressed." However, if you are depressed, you probably are not exercising. It absolutely should not be implied as a criticism or guilt-trip added to the very real burden of depression, where you truly want to disengage from life so completely that exercise seems like a surreal concept.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I agree with those who mention exercise! It truly is the key. I remember a customer I had years ago. She was 70 years old, and ran marathons. She was as sharp and clever as you could imagine, and had the clearest eyes I've ever seen. I've experienced the magic of fitness myself over the past few years.

Beyond that, I read somewhere in just the last couple of days, that people who smile openly, are perceived as younger. Attitude would be the second piece of the equation in my book, possibly first to tell the truth.

That said, I hate aging. I feel like a youngster most of the time. I am happy to report though, that at the ripe old age of 47, I have had comments like "You get prettier every time I see you", " I card anyone who looks younger than 35", "No way you can be the mother of that 22 year old", and such like, all in the last couple of months. I attribute it to the smile, and a little bit of sunshine.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Geez girls, now I fee like a real jerk. I would say though, if one could force themselves from that depression to get to the exercise, it would soon ease it. Catch 22, pretty much.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    if one could force themselves from that depression to get to the exercise, it would soon ease it.

Yup, that is the trick. But you may as well tell someone who is starving themselves to death to "just eat some food." If they could, they would.

P.S. You look younger ever time I see you! Even your features appear more "classic."

• flipper
    flipper

FHN- I feel my wife and I view it as an attitude thing. If a person has a sunny, positive spirit and view on life, it helps you stay young. Exercise as well ! My wife is 53 ; and I'm 48 and a half and we both enjoy hiking in the Sierra mountains, walking, and just staying actively interested in lots of hobbies and pursuits. An active mind is good as well ! The old expression " you are as young as you feel " is cliche, but it's true ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I think it might be easier to have a sunny, positive attitude if my world had not fallen apart this last year and I wasn't struggling through this alone. You have support from a loving mate and a good living, Mr. Flipper. I am happy for you.

• JoyNichols
    JoyNichols

Great topic!

I'm faced with finally returning to college to finish my degree because of the same issues - retirement, body changing.

I'm trying to judge less and accept more, but it's not always easy. Self-care has become a big issue and insurance is a must. I have to change careers and go back to school or I have no hope for a retirement or travel - something I've always dreamt of doing a lot of. Without going back to school, there's also little hope for getting proper health care.

I hate the aches and pains that are a part of my daily life - something I only experienced once a month in my 20's and 30's.

It's not all bad. I feel more confident now and know a lot more than I did then, but that doesn't change the challenges. Despite that, I am learning to worry less and stay in the here and now. That's a refreshing change for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit