~ Your feelings on aging ~

by FlyingHighNow 87 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Only your 3rd try?? Hell, I struggled over and over to make it a habit, and it's still a struggle. I just dropped down to a 2-3 times a week minimum maintenance program for the past month due to a couple of illnesses. I never worry about that - I just start back up again full tilt as soon as I feel up to it. I never think of being on a 3-week, 3-month or whatever exercise program. It's a program for the rest of my life.

EVERYONE struggles with making exercise a habit. You just can't beat yourself up about it. If you miss a day, you miss a day. Forget that and just get back at it the next day.

S4

• PEC
    PEC

I could complain; but, nobody wants to hear it, so, I am good.

Those that are still young; remember, if you hurt it now, it will hurt, when you get older. No amount of exercise will change that.

When I was 16, I was hit by a car, while I was running to catch a bus. I didn't even look to see how big a dent I put in the 1965 Mustang. I got up and caught the bus. My knee ached on and off for a couple months, then it got better and I forgot about it. Now it hurts anytime the weather changes. Sometimes I will be walking along and will get a stabbing pain in that knee, reminding me, how stupid I was when I was 16.

Philip

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I understand what a struggle life can be at times, and I send you my deepest regards and hopes for a happy future.

Thank you. With Andy's wreck and breakdown, the loss of Mickey, two moves of my entire household in less than six months, two job changes and becoming a single grandmother, to say things have been tough is an understatement. They of course are not as bad as they were during the summer last year. It's doubtful Andy is ever going to be himself again. The hardest part though is being a single, working grandmother. I was never a single mother. I stayed home with my children.

The Stones once sang "What a drag is is getting old!!!" and they were young at the time...As for me? Well I could retire if I chose to...I feel ok, I wouldnt mind getting older, but I thought you were supposed to get wiser too

BB, you're one of the wisest, kindest people I have ever known.

• ninja
    ninja

I can still put worms and frogs in my mouth.....and think I am cool

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FlyingHighNow,

It seems like only yesterday that I was the good looking 'young chick' in the office or on the block, etc. It was great to be young, good looking and feeling like I was on top of the world! Now that I am into middle age and called 'maam' from time to time by some young-uns it's a little sad. But, I am grateful nonetheless that I am here and that I have reached a 'certain age'. I look very good for my age and in some instances I can honestly say I look better than some women who are a decade or more younger than I am.

Mincan,

You are a mere baby. Come on now. Stop looking in the mirror and looking for wrinkles at 22. Please don't buy into this unhealthy garbage that is foist on everybody by our sick media who would have everybody think if they are 17 they are over the hill. This is so unnatural so please reject this nonsense.

Seeker 4,

You have the right idea about exercise and how we can control to some degree what we look like when we hit 50 or so. I am sure you are more realistic than some individuals who feel they can capture the fountain of youth if they do just a little more (I have to laugh). I exercise also and even though nobody is going to mistake me for a 25 year old I look pretty good.

Mouthy,

You are right about how by now we should all be in the 'paradise' growing younger by the minute (although how young I don't know - are we supposed to go back to looking like we were 16?? Ridiculous really). Amazing what exposure to this religion did to our brains. I had to wash mine out!

LHG

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

<whine>I just turned 50 a few weeks ago. I'm divorced, and even the thought of trying another realationship makes my guts churn. I have no kids, so I'll likely have a lonely retirement on a pathetic pension. It'll be just me and my birds, and maybe a few friends. I've had back trouble for the last 30 years, and it's getting worse. With that and my other health issues, I haven't had a day without pain in over 20 years. I threw my back out again this morning when I took out the garbage. </whine>

W

• wings
    wings
    thought of trying another realationship makes my guts churn

Understand this, I feel the same gripping nausea.

Think of it this way, you could marry someone like me and inherit more kids and family than you can believe. (Not me,just someone with a bunch of kids) Or, you could marry someone who knows how to rub your back. Or someone who was obsessed with taking the trash out....oh the possibilities. I just turned 50 too, the first few months are hard, after that i't not so bad.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thanks, everyone for your contributions here. I want to say that so far, I don't have aches and pains. My knees are fine walking across fairly level ground. I can walk for miles. Climbing stairs? I have a trick knee and trick ankles, so I avoid them. This is all due to inheriting faulty ankles and too many grande plies as a youngster.

I went through my midlife reflections at 41. Did a very good thread here at JWD about the mid life crisis. I don't want you all to get the idea I am saying my life is 100 % terrible and that I am completely freaked out about aging. I embrace the wisdom I've gained as well as the experience. I wouldn't trade this wisdom for the lack of it, just to be young again. I'd take a young healthy body.... if I could have a sharp mind and keep the wisdom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit