If you knew how the meat you eat was slaughtered, would you still eat it?

by restrangled 63 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hey Mr. Flipper,

I have never heard of that brand nor have I seen anything close to free range chickens other than the eggs in our grocery stores here in the East.

Perhaps one day, it will show up. I do know you guys seem way ahead of the game out west.

We all need to catch up.

r.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I am an avid hunter and fisherman and am used to the messy part of slaughtering the critter. It is a very strong odor depending on the animal, and so it is not for the squeemish. I have seen the atrocities that go on in our factory farms and it is unconcienable how they are so cruel and barbaric with the poor critters. How the animal handlers were ramming a cow with a forklift that was too old and sick to stand was awful and my wife cried as she saw it on the news.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

What is your take on this subject?

It bothers me that there could be a God and he allows so much pain suffering and cruelty. Eating meat is proof to me that we evolved and there is no God, along with a lot of other things.

I go through periods where I eat vege burgers and vege dogs and little meat. Then out of convenience I start eating more meat.

I dont see things changing in our life time.

If we as a society did not eat meat. Then the pigs and cows would never be born. But I guess that would be better than to be born and live the life and death that they experience.

A society that does not eat meat would most likely be over run and anhiliated by a society that does eat meat. The war mongers would destroy the peacenicks.

I dont see any difference from taking the life of an animal or a human. To me it's a sad reality of our condition. Animals are concious, they are fearful, They know someone is trying to hurt them. When they die there conciousness is gone they cease to exist just like a human.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Animals don't know that they could be running through a field or flying free. All they know is the box or building they live in.

If you took a human and raised him in a box or a cage for 5 years and didnt talk to it how would he be different from an animal?

We have memory and cognizance. They do not.

I dont know what animals you are familiar with but the ones I know and have read about have memory and cognizance.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Nope.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy
    And they "wouldn't know any different" if somebody slit their throats and then cooked and ate their corpses, right?

Not once their throats were slit, they wouldn't. And if my kids were starving I would do it.

Apart from your dogs who are "babied", of course.

As far as dogs are concerned, in my mind, they are babied. They are bathed, fed well, sleep indoors and I walk them every day. How else should I have phrased it? Spoiled? No. Well cared for? Yes. I brought them into my home as pets and it is my responsibility to care for them. But they are dogs, NOT my children.

JW thinking must be creeping back in, because my comment was taken out of context. Summer was comparing animals raised for food and then slaughtered to starving children. There is no comparison there at all.

momz

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy
    If you took a human and raised him in a box or a cage for 5 years and didnt talk to it how would he be different from an animal?

Once again, a comparison of humans and animals. How can you compare the two? In my mind, there is no comparison at all. That is MY OPINION.

momz

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Once again, a comparison of humans and animals. How can you compare the two? In my mind, there is no comparison at all. That is MY OPINION.

Thats why you kill and eat animals.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

restrangled:

If anyone has any info on this subject PLEASE POST!

Two excellent books on this subject are:

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan and The Ethics of What We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter by Peter Singer and Jim Mason. (The latter was published in the UK under the title Eating: What We Eat and Why It Matters)

If you must keep eating meat (and there's really no need to do so), free-range and organic animals are likely to have been treated more humanely during their lives (althugh not necessarily as well as you might imagine or hope). The "kosher" label is certainly no guarantee of animal welfare - quite the opposite, in fact, as the animal must be conscious when its throat is cut.

momzcrazy:

Not once their throats were slit, they wouldn't. And if my kids were starving I would do it.

And if your kids weren't starving? Would you then forego the slaughter of any animals, or just those to whom you had become emotionally attached?

Summer was comparing animals raised for food and then slaughtered to starving children. There is no comparison there at all.

No, one case is about passively allowing sentient beings to suffer and die, and the other is about the willful wholesale slaughter of sentient beings. Sometime though it can be useful to compare things that are similar but not identical.

Except your dogs, whom you treat as babies even though there are children starving in the world. (But that's out of context, right?) Where you really don't want the comparisons being drawn is between children and animals you personally know and care about, and children and animals you don't.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

hmmm. my 7 angus cows, steers and calfs are outside mulling about how good life is out in the pasture right now. I dont think they heard the nasty rumors about the feedlot that awaits them.

I almost have them broke to take vacines ...none of that roping em from a horse or workin' them in a sqeeze chute. They see me coming with a vacine gun and back their little tushies right up.

One of the steers jumped the (busted) fence in the north pasture the other day. He cut his leg on the wire. We patched him up and gave him a "time out" ... he needs to respect his boundries.

We got home Saturday night and the neigbors cow was out. That old red cow (ear tag 9) is quite the radical. She walked through a bad fence and was blocking traffic on our dirt road. You have to watch 9... I think she's a liberal...comes to my side of the road talking "free range" and some sort of trash about "methane" and "hormones".......

maybe I should print this thread and let them read it.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit