If you knew how the meat you eat was slaughtered, would you still eat it?

by restrangled 63 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

I am no vegetarian.

But just last week I cooked a turkey I had received as a gift. I had never heard of the name brand, House of Raeford. It is a large company that provides turkeys and chickens to the restaurant industry.

I looked them up just to see what the ratings were. To my absolute horror......(after the turkey was already stuffed and in the oven)....I came across site after site.

Here is one: Beware, this is not pretty. http://www.mercyforanimals.org/HOR/

It left me sick. I couldn't eat dinner and told no one.

Would you rather not know? Or would you like to know that the meat you are buying is from animals treated humanely.

I remember visiting the Watchtower farms when I was little and they showed us how they slaughtered cows.....It left me sick for a long time.

What is your take on this subject?

r.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Unfortunatly, I have seen a cow getting butchered right in front of my eyes, and then took it to get packed up into steaks and hamburger. Also a pig, for a pig roast that day!

• restrangled
    restrangled

So Buttlight, Did you have any kind of reaction like not being able to eat?

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Not a big fan of watching a guy choke a chicken.

There are bad slaughterhouses, but most are not like that. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and not turned off from eating meat. Those people in the video should loose their jobs at the very least though.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    So Buttlight, Did you have any kind of reaction like not being able to eat?

Well, the cow was my ex-husbands.....so he did it himself, and I watched. I didnt like it at all!!!!!!!!!! It was quite some time before it was all packed up, frozen, and we took it back to FL with us. So that wasnt so bad. The pig was a different story. We happened to go to the farm that was supplying the pig for the roast, as they were about ready to dip the live pig in big container of scalding water. (poor thing was squiling like a pig) no pun intended. Well, maybe a little! And they put the whole pig on the grill, head and all. I have to say, I couldnt touch it with a 10 foot pull after that! No way. Also as a child, i had to hold the legs of a chicken while my friends mother chopped its head off. (it still flew around the yard for a bit after that!!!) Then dipping that in scalding water and plucking the feathers off.......it got to the table that night, and hairs were still sticking out of it! EWWW......I went hungry that night too!

• restrangled
    restrangled

Missing Link, I agree,....just wish I knew that the animals were treated kindly and were dead before anything else happened. I wonder if there are places that advertise that?

Now I understand why some people hunt!

r.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I watched a pig get killed and butchered once and I enjoyed eating the sausage and ham from that pig.

Beyond that I haven't seen many animals butchered other than a few times on tv, in movies or documentaries. However, even if I were to see how they were slaughtered, I think my main concern would be the safety of eating the meat. I am against having animals suffering unnecessarily, but I think many people have too much concern for the life and feelings of an animal relative to the lives of humans. Somebody's stupid dog or cat or that bird with a hurt wing floundering around in rush hour traffic simply doesn't rise very high on my level of concern when there's some guy drowning his children in the bath tub or teenage girls being trafficked for forced sex work, etc.

That said, I eat much less beef and pork these days simply for personal health reasons. Chicken, fish and the occasional turkey sandwich are in regular rotation.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Hi Maxell,

you said: Somebody's stupid dog or cat or that bird with a hurt wing floundering around in rush hour traffic simply doesn't rise very high on my level of concern when there's some guy drowning his children in the bath tub or teenage girls being trafficked for forced sex work, etc.

I am not talking about hurt animals in the street.

You might want to consider that "some guy drowning his children....etc.".....usually has a history of abusing animals first. Consider all the notorious serial murderers. Most were animal abusers as kids or teenagers.

People abusing animals usually can abuse humans.

r.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Man, now I want a big bacon burger. Thanks a lot, guys!

I am not one who condones cruelty to animals and I love the cuddly creatures, but it would take a hell of a lot for me to not eat meat. I also enjoy the warmth and looks of my fur lined leather jacket (thank you, daddy).

• restrangled
    restrangled

Wow Buttlight....

The pig story was awful. I hope you have recovered. Why anyone would want to torture a live animal like that is beyond me. During the Spanish inquisition, that was one of the tortures for humans. They had to hold their leg in a pot of water and bring it up to boiling. The longer they held it in the more innocent they were. Of course no one was ever innocent.

This is turning into a horrible topic!

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit