From the Book of Enoch

by Aleman 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

Did the enochian events happen after the age of the dinosaurs? before, or during the last ice age, that ended about 10,000 bc?

S

Ps, i saw a quirky movie about the archangel gabriel, the other day. You might like it.

• dawg
    dawg

1 Enoch 2:1 2And when the angels, (3) the sons of heaven, beheld them, they became enamored of them, saying to each other, Come, let us select for ourselves wives from the progeny of men, and let us beget children. Aliens?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Aleister Crowley was a big fan.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Aleister Crowley?

He, look what I just noticed. Look at his headgear.

Now look at this:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/144657/2605704/post.ashx#2605704

Heh.

Burn

• Perry
    Perry

Another perspective:

The “Book of Enoch” is a composite work of several authors that dates from the last two centuries before Christ. It consists of five divisions which are further segmented into 108 chapters. Its original language was either Hebrew or Aramaic—perhaps both; eventually it was translated into Greek. Some eleven fragments of Enoch were found among the Dead Sea scrolls collection. The “Book of Enoch” contains a passage very similar to the one cited in the book of Jude.

Some of the early church writers (e.g., Clement of Alexandria and Tertullian) viewed the “Book of Enoch” as being virtually inspired, inasmuch as they assumed that the document was quoted by Jude, and that such would suggest its divine character. On the other hand, later, when the “Book of Enoch” fell into considerable disfavor (being classified as pseudepigrapha [literally, false writing], others, also assuming that Jude had quoted from that narrative, questioned the inspiration of his little book (see Jerome’s reference in De. Vir. ill. 4).

What is the Christian to make of this matter today? Here are some facts that may help to clarify the issue.

1. There is nothing in the sacred text that identifies the actual origin of Jude’s quotation. Enoch’s original message was from God. It is entirely possible that the prophet Enoch may have been quoted directly by Jude, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit—since the prophecy is not contained in the Old Testament. (Note: Paul once quoted the Lord Jesus, though the quotation he employed is nowhere recorded in the Gospel narratives; cf. Acts 20:35.) No one can prove, therefore, that Jude’s text was taken from the “Book of Enoch.” Further, it is likely that the quotation in the “Book of Enoch” reflects the echo of an ancient tradition that has its roots in the events of the Patriarchal period, and that the inspiration of Jude, and the tradition of the “Book of Enoch,” merely merge at this juncture.
    2. Even if Jude quoted from the “Book of Enoch” that would not establish the inspiration of the latter work. Paul quoted from several Greek writers, e.g., Aratus (Acts 17:28), Menander (1 Cor. 15:33), and Epimenides (Tit. 1:12), yet no one contends that the apostle’s use of these quotes endowed the original classical works with the aura of divine inspiration.

Furthermore, the ad hominem use of a quotation from an uninspired source does not negate the inspiration of the one who uses it—if there is evidence otherwise that establishes the sacred character of the message he is presenting. The argument just cited relative to Paul’s citations from the classics equally establishes this truth.

• JK666
    JK666

Aleman,

Maybe your God needs to "take you" like he did Enoch. It would be a relief for me anyway.

JK

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Maybe your God needs to "take you" like he did Enoch. It would be a relief for me anyway.

Without pigtails there is nothing to get a grip on.

• Perry
    Perry

I bougth the book of Enoch as well as the books of Adam and Eve several years ago before I accepted Christ. I was intrigued that I might be reading some stuff that nobody (virtually) knew about. It kinda made me feel important maybe even smarter that everyone else. I then realized that this was how the WT used to make me feel when I was in it deep.

The 450 ft. people described in it didn't do much to endear me to it either. I decided fairly quickly that it was garbage.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/book_of_enoch.htm

• Satanus
    Satanus

Perry

'It kinda made me feel important maybe even smarter that everyone else.'

Perhaps, one day, you will cured. Who knows?

S

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    It is entirely possible that the prophet Enoch may have been quoted directly by Jude, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit—since the prophecy is not contained in the Old Testament. (Note: Paul once quoted the Lord Jesus, though the quotation he employed is nowhere recorded in the Gospel narratives; cf. Acts 20:35.) No one can prove, therefore, that Jude’s text was taken from the “Book of Enoch.”

As discussed in my thread, this is especially unlikely. First of all, if you look at ch. 1 of 1 Enoch as a whole, there is no sign that v. 9 is a unit of older tradition; it fits naturally in its context and was composed with exactly the same process of OT allusion as the preceding verses. Like v. 1-8, it is later than the OT texts it utilizes. Second, this is not an isolated allusion to 1 Enoch in Jude itself. There are other close parallels in v. 6, 12-13, 14, 16, etc. of Jude, agreeing with the content and phraseology of other passages in 1 Enoch. Sure, it cannot be proven 100%, but only special pleading would lead to the preference of the alternative. It is also highly probable that Matthew 8:17 quotes from Isaiah 53:4, for the passage quoted is described as "what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah" and the book elsewhere shows familiarity with the book of Isaiah. Sure, it is not 100% certain that the evangelist was not quoting some independent tradition of what the prophet Isaiah said, without utilizing the book circulating under his name, but this is especially unlikely. The agrapha of Jesus are a quite different matter, as Jesus was a recent figure whose pre-Easter teaching circulated orally among the apostles. There is no evidence -- other than mere assertion -- that a similar situation existed with a patriarch who extended so far in the remote past, and that 1 Enoch 1:9 itself represents a unit of tradition going back to the "patriarchal period". This passage is not known from any other Jewish tradition and 1 Enoch was an especially well-circulated and popular book of the period.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit