The Watchtower Society Shows Their True Colors Again

by TooBad TooSad 65 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

When I was converted to JW I partly acknowledged the elder who told me collections in churches were forcing money for worship!!

And so as a JW I bought every publication and worked my arse off for my young family but then felt the hand on my collar for not putting funds in their box as they felt I should! I was amazed I was being watched after what they pedalled to me about the collection platter in Christendom! What contempt!!

I was on low pay, long hours, had young children, attended all meetings, went out on the ministry, bought all publications, had hardly time to $~cking sleep and they were watching me for lack of commitment!

Bar stewards hardly sums them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• lancelink
    lancelink

instead of relying on the organization when the question of charity comes up, why not think for yourself? There is a scripture that tells something like " the right hand doesn't know what the left one is doing" God gave us all free will, you should never feel that this gift vanishes as soon as the jw's come into your life. I do alot of travel in the chicago, Illinois area, and I make a point to donate some money to one organization every time I'm down there. Homeless vets, retired vets, other religions) The wt and their view of charity is the furthest thing from my mind. Give it a try sometime, it really is not that hard

• LayingLow
    LayingLow

Seeing articles like that always turned my stomach as well. Jesus was broke, but he carried a money box for the poor. What does that tell you?

I wish they would apply that principal.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Philanthropy is the act of donating money, goods, time, or effort to support a charitable cause, usually over an extended period of time and in regard to a defined objective

By definition the WTS is an Philanthropic organization! Hilarious!! The WTS claims that helping others to find paradise is charitable. So they are donating time/money/good to support a charity! This is the type of Awake I dream about a JW using when they come to my door, so that I can completely destroy their argument.

• Mary
    Mary
    "The success of philanthropy will always be limited. Why? For one thing, neither money nor a good secular education can eliminate such problems as greed, hatred, prejudice and false religious beliefs..."

Kind of a broad brush stroke there I'd say. The definition of "philanthropy" is:

phi·lan·thro·py (f-lnthr-p)

n.pl. phi·lan·thro·pies 1. The effort or inclination to increase the well-being of humankind, as by charitable aid or donations. 2. Love of humankind in general. 3. Something, such as an activity or institution, intended to promote human welfare.

As per usual, the Writing Department's fingers fly writing this dribble, without considering what it is they're actually saying. Both Philanthropy and secular education has gone a long way in reversing problems such as greed, hatred, prejudice and false religious beliefs. If they hadn't---we'd still be living in the Dark Ages. If people are encouraged to give of their own time and money to various organizations or charitable causes, how can that be considered 'a waste of time', such as the WTS is trying to promote? Where would Civil Rights, or Women's Rights be without 'secular education'? Look what people such as Bill Gates, or Oprah Winfrey or Angelina Jolie (to name a few) have done for the less priviledged. There are probably hundreds of thoudsands, if not millions of other people, who give freely to those less fortunate--and without an ulterior motive--- because they have a "love of humankind in general"----something that Crooklyn has no concept of.

Where would Religious Tolerance-----which the Watchtower Society is a prime beneficiary of-----be without the above aforementioned? And as for it 'eliminating false religious beliefs', well I beg to differ. I think education---whether secular or just self-educating, has helped everyone on this board see the "false religious beliefs" of the WTB&TS. Where do they come up with this sort of crap?

Accordingly, rather than set up philanthropic organizations, Jehovah's Witnesses prefer to devote their time and financial resources to announcing the good news of God's Kingdom."

...Which is still nowhere in sight, despite the fact that the Borg has been predicting it now for over a hundred years. Think of all the people who have lived and died in the last hundred years who could have benefited from something being handed to them besides the latest edition of the Watchtower and Awake. Magazines don't taste particularly good when you have an empty belly.

There is also a paragraph that made me laugh at the shear lie it told. "Jehovah's Witnesses do not tithe or in any way solicit funds."

Ya........just like they never said The End was coming at a certain time either. Riiiiiight.

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

All of your posts are very thought provoking. I only wish the my Witnesses friends

could read these posts. I read one poster who said that it is not so much the beliefs

that keep the Witnesses together, it is the feeling of belonging to something, and sense

of community and meeting with people who have the same silly ideas and thought

processes as they do. That is why it is so hard to reason with a Witness. You can

show them the flip flops in doctrine. This is just the light getter brigher.

PS Mary your last post was well thought out. You made a believer out of me.

TooBad TooSad

• Quester55
    Quester55

I have often wondered why amonst the JW's there is no effort made to help the hungry, needy, or depressed. It seems that every ailment, problem or concern is answered my the admonishment to, " Attend all your meetings, and go out in field service" I am going through a devastating divorce after 17 years, ( That's a story for another day) and while I was in the midst of heartache, all I got was, "Now you have more time for meetings and field service" I am told that I should not want a husband this close to the end, I should wait for a "Perfect Husband" I am also forbidden ( thats the word the elders used, I'm 50 years old, I do what I wish) to even go out for coffee with a man as I am not "divorced according to Ceasar's laws" When my ex broke the marital bond by sleeping with his tramp, that was all she wrote as far as I was concerned. I am activively seeking a male friend and eventually another husband, preferably not a JW.

I personally cannnot see a thing wrong with us ( yes I'm a witness, a lasped one, but still considered a witness) having our own schools, at least preschools, Why don't we have 'sunday schoolk' for our little ones, instead of expecting a 5 year old to sit quietly for nearly two hours, oops, I mean 90 minutes now what with the change in meeting time. I think that the organization is changing, as they are losing so many young people who are not going to settle for being window washers and gardeners, (unless they are CEO's of their company) These are just my pet peeves.

• Mary
    Mary
    I personally cannnot see a thing wrong with us ( yes I'm a witness, a lasped one, but still considered a witness) having our own schools, at least preschools, Why don't we have 'sunday schoolk' for our little ones, instead of expecting a 5 year old to sit quietly for nearly two hours, oops, I mean 90 minutes now what with the change in meeting time.

Bingo. I used to ask this very question even when I was still in and believed it was 'the Truth'. I remember having to sit quietly through 2 hours of their incredibly boring meetings and I hated it. Thursday nights were terrible as I was tired and didn't understand most of the crap they were talking about anyway. It would just make far more sense to have a Sunday School for the little ones. Read them stories or something. But I was told that children need to 'learn obedience' by sitting quietly during the meetings, plus it would deprive "food from the spiritual banquet" for the sisters who were in the Second School looking after the kids. (I was also told that this was a main reason why they got rid of Food Services at all of the assemblies: those slaving away in the kitchens weren't being brainwashed listening to the talks.)

I think that the organization is changing, as they are losing so many young people who are not going to settle for being window washers and gardeners, (unless they are CEO's of their company).

That would be nice, but from what I've seen so far, the only way the Organization is "changing", is not by "lightening the load" but by coming down even harder on the R&F. Recent WT study articles are becoming increasingly paranoid and they've basically put the Governing Body members "on God's Throne", replacing Jesus as the Mediator and it's only a matter of time before they replace Jehovah Himself. They're still knocking "higher education", they're giving examples of those who are selling their homes or businesses and pioneering (with the clear indication that this would be 'pleasing to Jehovah'), they're still ranting that The End is 'right around the corner' and they're becoming more dogmatic and IMO, are trying to isolate the R&F even more than in times past.

Rumour has it that the Chief Leper in the Leper Colony (Ted Jaracz) is the main problem. He's the last of the old timers and he's apparently drunk on his own power and will not lighten up at all. One can only hope that when the old goat finally shuffles off this mortal coil, that the younger members of the GB might be willing to change things for the better-----but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I bet that, during conventions and assemblies, when they post a list of the motels and hotels that are to be used "ONLY" and that you must mention that you "ARE" on of the JW's, that this is a way for them to gain a percentage of the sales or a rebate check of some sort from each one on the list.

I see a lot of this sort of thing in the business I am in.

Conspiracy??

Quirky1

• potleg
    potleg

The Watchtower Society's true colours are balck with a white stripe down the middle..like a stinky old skunk.

I know if real skunks could read they'd be insulted by this comparison . Sorry. At least thier animal stench comes off alot easier than having the WT efluvium sprayed all over you from before you learned how to say...Do I smell a rat in here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit