"Real one" threatens athiests with Jugement Day! Why do Christians do this?

by Witness 007 130 Replies latest jw experiences

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    "Missing Link" this gives me an idea. Atheiest comback. "Oh yeah, well your just gonna die, there is no heaven...and your evolving right now!"

Your mom's evolving!

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

But mouthy, how will I ever come to grips with my atheism if you continue to be so darn loving? ;-) "You made me love you, I didn't wna to do it..."

JG, how can I see all Christians as misguided ranters if you continue to be so reasonable and authentic?

realone says, "He wont force himself on you. but if no one tells you this how will you know?" Don't you think that a board of ex-Witnesses have already read and heard everything you might have to quote out of the Bible? Perhaps some of us have had just as profound experiences of what you call God that no amount of tantrums and condemnations will alter?

Frankly, been there, done that, moved on...

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

What have I done??? Turned christian against christian on this thread!!! .......he he he

• Satanus
    Satanus

Realone said, '"He wont force himself on you. but if no one tells you this how will you know?"' By a christian forcing him on someone, i suppose. If god can't do it to a person adequitely, if hsi own omnipotent force and omniscence, which includes the total understanding of each and every human on the planet can't do it, how can a christian do better than he?

S

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Satinus

Dantheman

Voideater

I take my hat off to each of you......Very well put my friends.

NMG

• PEC
    PEC
    I am on this site to preach and teach the gospel.

realone, you are in the wrong place, your brand of religion is the last thing needed on JWD .

Philip

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

For what it's worth I have a grudging respect for realone's approach. He is not sneaky, nor does he try to 'fluff up' his message to make it more palatable. Of course, none of that takes away from the fact that what he says is as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Now as for you so called 'moderate' Christians. You're the one who scare me. It's you who have the greatest effect on the largest amount of people because - unlike realone - your message is couched in the language of love, tolerance and respect. Problem is it's no less fallacious and misleading for all of that.

Christianity is a lie plain and simple. The versions of the lie promulgated by extremists like realone are easily perceived for what they are - it is the unwitting lie of the polite and moderate believer that is more easily swallowed and therein lies the danger.

No offence.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll
    realone, you are in the wrong place, your brand of religion is the last thing needed on JWD .

I agree with That. Realone---------You are back agian, the guy that calls people names like Pigs.

Haven't you learned anything yet? I don't mind you being here, you got to stop calling people names.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Now as for you so called 'moderate' Christians. You're the one who scare me. It's you who have the greatest effect on the largest amount of people because - unlike realone - your message is couched in the language of love, tolerance and respect. Problem is it's no less fallacious and misleading for all of that.
    Christianity is a lie plain and simple. The versions of the lie promulgated by extremists like realone are easily perceived for what they are - it is the unwitting lie of the polite and moderate believer that is more easily swallowed and therein lies the danger.

nic' herein lies the problem - define 'Christianity'!!

To me, a Christian is someone who puts their faith in the teachings of someone called Jesus - whether he's historical or not, regardless of definitions of his nature etc - and chooses to follow what he taught - which essentially is love, tolerance and respect. That's it.

So which bit of Christianity then, is a lie?

Some really deep and searching questions for you now, no need to answer them on here. But I would ask that you do spend time letting them sink in and think about them.

Could it possibly be that you're not comfortable with the fact that someone (either a god or other people) could actually love you in spite of all your faults and failings? That you'd rather be punished for them? That anyone with a message which contains the slightest hint of grace (unearned, undeserved kindness - forgiveness and acceptance just as you are) repulses you because that's not fair, you don't deserve anything, you prefer the full measure of justice? Because you spent years as a JW believing you don't deserve anything good? Could it be that because of this you're drawn more to a message of judgement without mercy?

"The beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair..." Relient K

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

real one may no longer be a JW, but he is still cut from their mold, still thinking and acting the way they do. All he did was some doctrine shuffling, with no real change taking place.

I'm not a Christian, but I think there are two types of them. The first is the legalist Christian. This one believes in following the "letter of the law." The legalist Christian takes pleasure in combing the Bible to come up with definitive answers to dillemas, whether they actually exist or not. Then, there is the idealist Christian, the one that more closely resembles the attitude Jesus had toward the law, and the one that actually "gets it" as far as what his teachings were really about. The idealists isn't concerned with the letter of the law as much as the spirit. He recognizes that it doesn't cover many of the modern situations, and that where the Bible is silent, he will be as well. Jesus wasn't about trading one set of rules for the other. His ministry was about diminishing the importance of them altogether.

As a non-theist, I find the whole thing puzzling. For centuries, the God of the Israelites ruled with tyranny and cruelty. He directed his people through a campaign of ethnic cleansing, killing not only men, but women and children as well. He allowed the Israelite men to rape and kidnap captive women to keep for themselves (so much for keeping a "pure" culture). Under that God's rule, all dissenters were fiercly executed by stoning. Time and time again, the people rebelled, only to be punished. Then, finally, they started living according to the restrictive law. They became the perfect example and bitterly opposed "false worship."

After the Israelites finally start behaving, God sends his son to condemn them for being too strict! It seems to me the Jews were in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

At any rate, I don't take people like real one any more seriously than the screaming homeless man in the park. The burden of proof is on the one making the claim, and so far there is zero evidence of any God, let alone a torturous punishment for not serving him. All that exists are books, written by men far more ignorant of the universe than we are now, thousands of years ago. The only reason people like real one believe in that one particular collection of books is solely because of where they were born and how they were raised, not by any overwhelming inherent truth. If real one came from Saudi Arabia, he would be just as insistent the Quaran was the word of God. If he came from India, he would laud the Vedas as such. If he were the son of Tom Cruise, he'd be trying to sell us Dianetics. The burden of proof is on those who have positive belief, since proving a negative is impossible. As Christopher Hitchens said, "what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit