"KNOCKING" LEGAL ACTION AGAINST WATCHTOWER COMMENTS

by V 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

In order to maintain a copyright the owner needs to show enforcement of said copyright. Failure to do so can be deemed relinquishing rights. If it is true, it would be humorous if the article in question isn't even his own. I would say check the credits of the knocking video and see if he actually has permission to use the video himself. It should be listed in the credits stating the source and copyright owner as the WTS. Something like "Video source used with permission from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society".

That said, I would say this falls under the fair use policy. The videos are in an educational capacity by a non profit stance. Since the original videos are provided free of charge the copyright holder cannot put any dollar figure on damages since the donation arrangement is not tracked on individual purchases. Also the clip is three seconds and not in any way providing the base of the content of your videos.

But I would still remove the clips quickly because if the WTS is the copyright holder, you do not want their legal department coming down on you. They exist for litigation and can cost you thousands in just trying to defend the charge.

Good luck!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    In order to maintain a copyright the owner needs to show enforcement of said copyright. Failure to do so can be deemed relinquishing rights.

Please note that this is not accurate. It is at the copyright owner's discretion to enforce its copyright, and that right is not relinquished by failing to do so.

That said, I would say this falls under the fair use policy. The videos are in an educational capacity by a non profit stance.

The video clip in question provides no educational use in the video, and therefore is not covered by 'fair use'.

Since the original videos are provided free of charge the copyright holder cannot put any dollar figure on damages since the donation arrangement is not tracked on individual purchases.

Copyrighted material offered for free does not cancel the copyright, and if the copyright is registered, damages can be sought beyond loss of income.

Also the clip is three seconds and not in any way providing the base of the content of your videos.

This is specifically why the clip cannot be claimed as 'fair use'.

But I would still remove the clips quickly because if the WTS is the copyright holder, you do not want their legal department coming down on you. They exist for litigation and can cost you thousands in just trying to defend the charge.

There's not much benefit in keeping the video, and some amount of risk. Just ditch the video.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Desperation. Sad. alt The good thing is your videos are being seen by a whole lot of people. They're obviously making people nervous.

Maybe Mrs. Jones can volunteer to be taped sitting in a very uncomfortable chair raising her hand??? alt

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Maybe Mrs. Jones can volunteer to be taped sitting in a very uncomfortable chair raising her hand??? alt

Gosh, my ears are burning. Yeah black women can blush

Alright, enough about me, I agree with dumping the clip. I'm sure you can think up something even better.

Josie

• DT
    DT

I have a question. When you edit a Youtube video, can you keep the same link, viewer stats, comments, etc. Or do you just start all over with the new video? If you don't have to start over, it's probably easier to just remove the three seconds. If you have to start over, that is a pretty big hit. That could be their primary motivation for what appears to be a frivolous challenge. If you have to start over, I'm sure a lot of us will help to make comments, embed the new videos, etc.

I any case, this is more evidence that "Knocking" isn't an unbiased documentary, but a promotional piece for Jehovah's Witnesses. Does anybody have recent information on the claim that Jehovah's Witnesses were involved in funding this film?

• Layla33
    Layla33

Is what they are discussing considered "fair use"? I happen to deal with copyright issues all the time. Before using any material from another source, go to this site www.whatiscopyright.org and be informed about it.

If you have specific question, feel free to PM me.

• Layla33
    Layla33

Wanted to add this:

Fair Use.

Fair use or fair practice is utilization of a portion of a copyrighted work "as is" for purposes of parody, news reporting, research and education about such copyrighted work without the permission of the author. Use of copyrighted works, or portions thereof, for any other purpose is not deemed fair use, so be careful! That includes copying text or scanning pictures from postcards, magazines, books or any other work. Scanning a photo of the Amazon Forest printed in National Geographic, and using it without permission on your personal web site where you write about your family trip to South America will most likely not be considered as fair use. However, if you republished the photo on your site to comment on the photo as it was published in National Geographic, this would most likely be considered fair use. You still have to credit your source by naming the author of the work on the same page. If possible, take the time to contact the owner and request permission to use the owner's work, and more likely than not the owner will be very appreciative and give you a favorable response.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Pull the 3 second shot and insert a shot from a District a$$embly in that spot.

I don't think the cult can stop that when they specifically invite the medaia and their cameras into their Boasting Sessions.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

There's an MTV special about inter-faith relationships which has a similar scene. Intercut. Reply to them stating you have removed it and tell them where you got the footage from. MTV will not go after you for a 3 second clip, they don't care. Them coming after you for that 3 second clip is showing you're rattling some cages high up. So don't quit, if you still have the videos saved and you're using Pinnacle, it should be an easy fix. Just try to find that Inter-faith relationship episode of True Life from MTV.

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

I think the opening theme should be the Benny Hill theme set to some Witnesses going from door to door...with the video sped up. I swear that song makes ANYTHING funny. Here is what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spz8_rpE0e0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit