"KNOCKING" LEGAL ACTION AGAINST WATCHTOWER COMMENTS

by V 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• V
    V

Thanks for all your advice. The real sticking point is that YouTube does not allow you to replace videos under the same link. You must reload new videos. All comments and view statistics start from zero. I can easily revise the originals and repost. We'll see.

Watchtower Comments was designed to be nomadic and is prepared for this. At this point I am putting out the call for help, pick one and pitch in!

• Create YouTube channels and be able to upload Watchtower Comments videos. Channels should be 'disposable.'
    • Film stock footage for Watchtower Comments. I am looking for meetings, service, street work. Has to look right, no goatees!
    • Film your own video response to this issue and post your video on YouTube and elsewhere. Make some noise!

PM me for details. Thanks!

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Ditch the three second intro. and use something more hard hitting for instance the opening bars of Beethoven's Fith Symphony which translates into dot dot dot dash which is morse code for V. The V sign of course is V for victory and would be most suitable for all your great productions.This was used to great effect during WW2. to boost morale especially in occupied countries.

Keep up the good work . da da da der.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I think you have to drop the footage. A stitch in time... and all that.

I am sure that someone here on JWD could produce some similar footage within a week or two, and that footage would be immune, wouldn't it?

Jeff

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Jeffro,

My comments were specific to the circumstances here. When copyright issues end up in court, past enforcement of the copyright is very relevant. Depending on the usage, if it can be shown that the copyright holder isn't interested in protecting his works from all infringements, it will weaken his case and could be ruled as forfeiting the copyright. I made the point to explain WHY this action was being pursued, not suggesting that a copyright didn't exist for this work.

Since "Knocking" is a commercial effort, if he does not pursue all perceived breaches of his copyright, that could be used against him later on.

The rest of my comments were based on the humorous assumption that he doesn't even hold the copyright, but in fact the clip was from a WTS video. Especially if the content was currently being used in the "Knocking" DvD as "Fair Use". If they were unwilling to go after someone using their clip for a profit endevour, they would be extremely hard pressed to convince a judge that an apostate YouTube video outraged them and entitled them to damages.

There is the law, then there is the legal system. I still think that if the WTS is the copyright holder, he'd have an excellent case for Fair Use, but honestly, would it be worth the money to fight it?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    The rest of my comments were based on the humorous assumption that he doesn't even hold the copyright, but in fact the clip was from a WTS video. Especially if the content was currently being used in the "Knocking" DvD as "Fair Use". If they were unwilling to go after someone using their clip for a profit endevour, they would be extremely hard pressed to convince a judge that an apostate YouTube video outraged them and entitled them to damages.

If "Knocking" used the clip from a WTS source, then they don't hold the copyright at all, which is indeed quite funny. If "Knocking" used the clip as part of a demonstration of how JW meetings are held, then their use of the clip is 'fair use'.

There is the law, then there is the legal system. I still think that if the WTS is the copyright holder, he'd have an excellent case for Fair Use, but honestly, would it be worth the money to fight it?

There is no case for 'fair use' here because the function of the video in Watchtower Comments doesn't fit any 'fair use' criteria. Whether its worth the money to fight is the risky part. Remember 'Quotes'?

• Layla33
    Layla33

Very good point, Jeffro. I don't think Knocking holds the copyright for this material. V, persue if you must, but I would suggest getting someone to film something similiar and putting it in or going to something that is considered public domain and using it. But always always remember to notate your sources.

• sinis
    sinis
    alt

Film Credits

In Loving Memory
    Mark Lim, MD
    (1969-2001)

Produced and Directed by
    Joel P. Engardio and Tom Shepard

Written and Narrated by
    Joel P. Engardio

Editors
    Jim Klein
    Nathaniel Dorsky

Director of Photography
    Howard Shack

Original Music
    Stephen Thomas Cavit

Executive Producers
    Lorenz Reibling
    D. Stuart Harrison

Additional Editing
    Jonathan Parra
    Ken Schneider
    Tom Shepard
    Alex Woolfson

Additional Camera
    Andrew Black
    Tina DiFeliciantonio
    John Ealer
    Chad Grochowski
    Will Perinello
    Tony Small

Sound Recording
    Jon Andrews
    Skip Frazee
    Chad Grochowski
    Harry Haese
    Trey Haney
    Ronny Katz
    Jaime Reyes
    Jeff Samuels
    Justin Schein
    Jane Wagner
    Dave Wendlinger

Associate Producers
    Jessica Dorfman
    Elisabeth Pozzi-Thanner
    Agnieszka Sadecka

Online Editor
    Heather Weaver

Sound Mixer
    Mark Escott

Legal Services
    Robert Freedman
    Cowan, DeBaets, Abrahams & Sheppard LLP, New York

Archival Material
    Classic Images
    CNN ImageSource
    Footage Farm
    Gracie Films
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    SabuCat Productions, Inc.
    Supreme Court of the United States
    United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
    Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania
    Worldwide Pants, Inc.

Public domain footage from Mauthausen concentration camp in Austria is used
    to represent Jehovah’s Witness inmates and Joseph Kempler as a teenage prisoner.

Major funding provided by
    Walter Zaremba
    Gunther Reibling
    New York Community Trust

Additional funding provided by
    Dr. Henri and Barbara Enfroy
    Anders Mendell
    Alexander Mirrow
    Bob Nead
    Al and Mary Schaer
    Film Arts Foundation
    Fred and Donna Couper
    Samuel and Angelina Wang
    Douglas S. Frye
    Kim Ragnelli

Special Thanks
    James N. Pellechia
    Aaron Belkin
    Jolene Chu
    Anderson Cooper
    Don Dao
    Eunice L. Engardio
    Mary K. Engardio
    Clark J. Freshman
    Qris Fry
    Chris Weipert
    Lillian Gobitas-Klose
    Barb Gustafson
    Bryce Hemmelgarn
    Dr. Nicolas Jabbour
    Ling Lam
    New Day Films
    Dante Noto
    Patsy Procuro
    The Shepard Family
    Patrick-Henrie So
    Diane Weipert
    Jonathan Archer
    Betsy West
    Frisco, TX Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses
    Saginaw, MI Congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses (West and South)
    West Jonesboro, GA Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses

Executive producer for ITVS
    Sally Jo Fifer

KNOCKING is produced in association with the Independent Television Service (ITVS)

This program was produced by Open Door Productions, LLC which is solely responsible for its content.

Copyright, 2006 Open Door Productions, LLC, All Rights Reserved

• sinis
    sinis
    Knocking / produced by Open Door Productions LLC ; produced and directed by...
    Type of Work:Motion Picture
    Registration Number / Date:PA0001260517 / 2006-03-21
    Title:Knocking / produced by Open Door Productions LLC ; produced and directed by Joel P. Engardio and Tom Shepard.
    Description:Videocassette ; 1/2 in.
    Copyright Claimant:Open Door Productions, LLC
    Date of Creation:2006
    Date of Publication:2006-02-07
    Authorship on Application:entire motion picture: Open Door Productions, LLC, employer for hir.
    Names:Open Door Productions, LLC
    Shepard, Tom
    Engardio, Joel P.
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

V-

I'll give prayerful consideration to what you list in your needs. We'll see what the flying spaghetti monster says

Wow! You've really got them shaking to make an issue out of that! It's not even that great of a clip.

Okay, so the clip gets replaced. Fair enough. Next, will the WTBTS themselves say, "Hey, you can't use our artwork!" Or, "You can't use quotes from our literature without approval!" ?

On a somewhat different note, what would be the legal issues of doing a "The Making of "Knocking"" documentary farce? Or for legal reasons would it have to be called "The Making of "Knockers""? Then, we'd need a sequel, "The Making of 'The Making of "Knockers"'"...

B the X

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

You know the schedule board outside every KingDumb Hole? How about we get everyone to go snap pictures of as many as we can, they all have the congreGAYtion name on 'em. Then you do a quick montage of them using different ones each time in place of the clip.

That emphasizes that they may be everywhere, but so are we!

Let me know, AI can fire up the Apostatruck and go buzz some KingDumb Holes.

RD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit