It is official. I am an elder now!

by outofthebox 99 Replies latest jw friends

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    One of the questions was "Have you ever abused of a child?".

See - we're already getting good intel. Do your best boxboy.

• cognac
    cognac
    Each case is different. If I can do some good, I'll go for it. If it is something fishy, I'll call sick that day.

Yeah, call in sick, because JC's are not biblical and it's not a good idea to ruin a person's life and d'f them...

Unless, of course, they are rapist, murderers, or peodofiles...

• jambon1
    jambon1

I can understand that you are in an awkward position at the moment. You are obviously well intentioned in relation to your family & this may work out. I really hope it does. However, I wouldn't bank on the members of the congregation being in wonderment about the holy spirit & it's role in appointing elders. From my experience, it is one of those areas which is easily explained away. I have even had people tell me that certain (evil, hideous) elders WERE appointed by holy spirit so that god can put peoples faith to the test. What can you achieve with this sort of mindset? I wish you well. Please keep us posted.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Sounds like the Holy Spirit may be having some trouble with a high speed wobble or such. I know your a nice guy and everything...but I have to ask, Is your BOE all stupid ? I think you should get an OSCAR if you can do this without a smirk.

JC's... get all your family disfellowshiped. As an elder you can backdoor enough BS to start some congregational squabbles ... sometimes those are enough to get folks to quit.

So congratulations or condolences. I always get words that start with "c" mixed up.

~Hill

• sir82
    sir82
    If it is something fishy, I'll call sick that day. I think. Not sure.

1) How many times can you "call in sick" and not arouse suspicion?

2) Even the most apparently cut-and-dried case can quickly make a left turn and end up where you never imagined. What do you do if you are already on the committee, in the "back room", and something "fishy" comes out?

3) What if you are on a committee but also on the team are Brother To-The-Right-Of-Dick-Cheney and Brother I-Wanna-Move-Up-So-I'll-Kiss-Cheney's-Tush? You see repentance, but they both want to "set an example so the flock will be fearful of wrongdoing", and vote to DF. You are outnumbered, and you are the newbie, so you are expected to knuckle under. How well can you stand up to them?

I understand your motivation, but have you really thought through all the possible consequences? I can almost guarantee you're going to run into a situation that tests your resolve, sooner or later.

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

Some people are bashing you pretty hard for this decision, OOTB.

Personally I would feel no compunction about being hypocritical in regards to the WTS. Being an active member for over a decade meant I was a hypocrite all that time... what's a little more hypocrisy for a good cause? We don't owe them anything... least of all honesty (were they honest with us?). And if you can do some good, however limited, I can't blame you for trying. As has been said, though, the greatest challenge may be the mental and emotional toll the immersion in WTS-ness takes on you, not to mention the time demands.

Good luck.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    One of the questions was "Have you ever abused of a child?".

Does childhood abuse include the following?

1. Being dragged to Boasting Sessions meetings three times a week.

2. Being dragged out of bed early on weekends for forced field circus field service.

3. No birthdays, Christmas ... or anything fun.

4. Sticking out like a sore thumb at school, while being subjected to ridicule from your peers.

(P.S. - How soon do you get your elders' manual?)

• choosing life
    choosing life

I hope this doesn't blow up in your face. Most witnesses don't like being proved wrong. I wish the best to you and your family. It just seems like a rather convoluted way to reach anyone's heart.

Sorry, I don't like titles and I can't say congrats on something that has proven to be so harmful. Participate in JCs?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Have you ever abused a child?

In my church, all of us who work with children are required to do a criminal records check and go through a "Plan to Protect" education course. With refreshers. How in the heck can they appoint elders without getting some (impartial) background checks.

Oh yeah.

I forgot.

The Holy Spirit.

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

Sometimes you have to enter The Matrix to free people. As soon as I finish my mission, I will be out. Wish my luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit