It looks like I will become an elder this week!

by outofthebox 181 Replies latest jw friends

• scotsman
    scotsman

LOL any idea that your appointment may rock people's notions of the power, or existence, of the holy spirit is out of the question. Like you I was appointed an elder while not believing in it and when I eventually cracked and left, THAT event was taken as evidence of the holy spirit. I think you're underestimating the JW mindset. But i totally understand why you are taking the path you are. Good luck.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I hope your reign of eldership lands you in my parents KH and they are able to open their eyes to the real truth.

I thank you, my children thank you.

I'd do it...I mean if I didn't have anything more exciting going on in my life.

lisa

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen
    I dream one day at Assembly... to give the most fantastic talk about how the WT is wrong.

Can't wait for this talk. Go boxie, go!!!!!

• JK666
    JK666

This is an interesting situation, ootb IS NOT reaching out, and they want him anyway. By the way, reaching out equates to sucking up in most instances. It must be that they need more elders, and their choosiness has eroded. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

JK

• newbiedoobiedoo
    newbiedoobiedoo

I have thought that 'infiltraitors' have been in for a long time. After all 'the world' is against God's people, it would make sense to attack within. But, God is God, and truth is truth i believe and no person or 'organization' will prove otherwise. (now you know shy elders are so peeved at me and i am inactive) Hey, i have faith, just not in people.

• reniaa
    reniaa

Reniaa,

I think you've expressed yourself, and we aren't under any illusions as to your take on this!

Shell69

I'm not doing this to make a point, but because I feel genuine concern for the lad involved, I'll say lad because outofthebox sounds very young and foolish, certainly hasn't consider the consequences. I would have thought those of experience on these forums would realise that a lot of these type of actions often rebound on the perpertrator, Outofthebox says he has family and friends in JW's and that is why he is still involved, it's also a another reason why he shouldn't be doing this and also why you shouldn't be encouraging him. You guys only know what he's told you and have no idea what the consequences will be to him or those he has influence with.

I think we would better be trying to support him in positive actions (especially ex-elders and ms) not in doing something he see only as a joke and a game from his very words. This is real life!

reniaa

I said all I'm going to say but in this case I don't think this forum has done much good.

Outofthebox I hope you reconsider your actions and try to find a positive way to be with your family and friends through this, get some new positive interests to stop you dwelling on something you hate now. I'm taking your words are the truth and so I would say that a lot of EX-Jw's on here have manage to get away from the WTS in positive ways maybe talk to some of them for advice.

• justhuman
    justhuman

Boy you must have a strong stomach!!!!

I quit from all of my privelages in the WT world become innactive just a few months after I realize the truth about the 'truth" and I got disfellowshiped 6 years after in 2006.

There was no way for me that I could live a DOUBLE LIFE...and it cost me my famly, my children and many other things...but no way I can't pretend...

WATCTOWER MAKES ME SICK

• Gopher
    Gopher

Renee -- While I wouldn't do what OOTB is doing, you seem to be questioning how he would treat people if he were to be an elder. You've said people would look to him for kindness and understanding. Who says he couldn't offer real kindness to people, even though he doesn't believe the WT dogma? OOTB doesn't feel like he can leave the organization now (due ot family ties), so while he's in -- maybe he'll be that elder who won't use Watchtower authoritarianism to beat the flock. Maybe he'll be the elder who will listen nonjudgmentally, instead of throwing stock scriptures at you or telling you all you need is to pray more, go out in service more, or go to more meetings.

While it's correct to point out that OOTB would be walking a tightrope if he accepted an appointment as elder, he doesn't strike me as one who would be unkind towards people who need kindness.

• Sirona
    Sirona

If Outofthebox is 100% honest, as has been suggested, he will lose his family and friends. If he tells them how he really feels about the JW organisation, they will shun him and he will likely be DF'd.

I can see why he doesn't want that to happen!

The Watchtower has created this situation themselves! If you don't want people "pretending" then don't take people's families away when they want to leave.

Having said that, I think its healthier to get out of the JWs rather than pretend. Walking away is better. But if you can't because you'll lose too much, then I would say "do anything to educate those who are in about the facts....but be careful not to harm people in the process". It would be entirely possible to give apostate details to some in the congregation where appropriate - to help them break free themselves.

Sirona

• reniaa
    reniaa

Here's his list of accomplishments so far from his original posts words,

So far ...

I faked my hours
    I have celebrated my first birthday
    I have been writing in this forum
    I have been reading "apostate" literature
    I have been showing the hard truths to my family and several elders
    I don't comment in the meetings, unless is from the Bible
    I don't close my eyes in the prayers or agree to them with an "amen"
    I have talked to disfellowshipped people
    I am swearing a little
    And I don't believe for a second the JW are the true religion

Does any of these sound positive things to do? or do they sound like someone having a joke and taking pleasure in thumbing his nose at the organisation?

Gopher I don't think his words support your hopeful view,

While it's correct to point out that OOTB would be walking a tightrope if he accepted an appointment as elder, he doesn't strike me as one who would be unkind towards people who need kindness.

He's to wrapped up in the "game" to think of others thats why i'm concerned but enough said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit