Thinking of becoming a Witness again and my reasons for doing so :(

by reniaa 383 Replies latest jw experiences

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi jwfacts

I think you took my point further than it was ment as just what we in our own minds evaluate with a view to how we think mankind originated not on murder etc, note I also said person not child.

Children have no choice but to be brought up in whatever belief is around them even if it is a complete lack of belief, If there parents won't do it then they'll find someone who will. I see enough council estate kids left to their own divices around me that hang out with the charassmatic drug seller and his cool car :S, you can't bring children up in vacuum they will pick up on your values and motivations and as a natural progression as teenagers rebel and find their own thoughts and motivations, thats just biology.

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi TD your completely right

Partially in response to questions over the occurance of a global flood, you posted a picture of a fossil which clearly shows that predation has been going on for a very, very long time.

Well, JW's don't accept that either. They believe that the antediluvian ecology was completely vegetarian.

but for me this is a biblical issue rather than a JW one although the bible certainly isn't very clear on pre-flood dynamics of how wild and domesticated animals related to each other. hmmm, If I go down this road I'd end up an atheist and I'm honestly not ready for that although I have explored it. I wish God had mentioned dinosaurs in the bible it would have helped :) Most christian religions have to kinda come to some conclusion over flood and dinosaurs and the conflicts between bible teaching and science in that respect, lol at least witnesses aren't creationists :S

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Ok - I swore I would not re-comment here. R, you seem like a likable sort. But you have just made a valid point that needs extension:

Children have no choice but to be brought up in whatever belief is around them even if it is a complete lack of belief, If there parents won't do it then they'll find someone who will. I see enough council estate kids left to their own divices around me that hang out with the charassmatic drug seller and his cool car :S, you can't bring children up in vacuum they will pick up on your values and motivations and as a natural progression as teenagers rebel and find their own thoughts and motivations, thats just biology.

I see in your posts a strong tendency to excuse the organization for its deep faults, but staying attached to it for its good points. THAT is a typical Jw opinion of things - a desire to hold onto it as the 'Truth'. Your post above indicates that there is no good choices for raising one's children outside of the organization [at least that is what I believe underlays your comment at this point]. Also typical Jwism.

You are tied into knots over the key elements that Jw's use to indoctrinate - Trinity and the Cross are mentioned earlier in the thread by you. Did you ever ask yourself why, of all the hundreds of thousands of theologians who have made a life of reading and understanding the Scriptures, only a couple of policy makers for a publishing firm in New York [with no formal theological training] were able to determine the 'Truth' of these complex questions? Or why the Jw's had to use the translation of a spiritualist [Johannes Greber] to support it's translation of a key text supporting the non-trinitarian view they hold [John 1:1].

Back to your point. If you elect to raise your children as Jw's - then later you discover that Jw's are wrong - as I did at age 48 - your children will be bound to shun you, ignore you, and in fact hate you for leaving the faith. Is this the kind of protective love you wish to show - an insular approach to the world - lock it outside and hate all that is not Jw? Yet that is what you will be teaching them.

I have to leave for work - but I hope you actually think about that. Dig in - really study the beliefs and practices of Jw's WITH AN OPEN MIND - you are at one of those proverbial crossroads.

Jeff

• reniaa
    reniaa

I have to leave for work - but I hope you actually think about that. Dig in - really study the beliefs and practices of Jw's WITH AN OPEN MIND - you are at one of those proverbial crossroads.

Jeff

Thank you jeff, yeah work calls me too! I recognise you are right in that choosing a contraversial religion to follow I am risking my kids will one day take a different path and blame me for it, but I am a 3rd generation JW and have had the example of both grandparents sides of how to do this causing as least damage as possible, My grandmother is whom I'm thinking of she was a strong JW all her life respected in the congregation but she was also the kindest loveliest person you ever met at her funeral about 100 people came a mix of all who knew her witness and non-witness, she showed me more than anyone else that there can be a way to love those around you without constantly pushing your faith in their faces and being obnoxious which unfortunately I will agree many witnesses do. Some of her children became witnesses, some didn't but all of us united in our love for her, she always treated us all the same.

I feel like almost apologising that my experiences with JW's hasn't been bad :S and probably one of reasons I'm tempted to go back and am defending it now.

I don't expect many more replies on this thread but I want to say Thank you now to everyone that has taken time to be on it and put their thoughts. I have replied to as many as I could and read everything, thank you again :)

Reniaa

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Wow, this thread moves fast!

reniaa...You asked a very important question on the subject of crucifixion: "In both greek and hebrew is there a word for cross other than stauros and xylon that could have been used as an alternative, a definate word that only means Cross?" That's exactly the right question to ask, for if the Society is right and the word stauros could not refer to a crux that had a crosspiece, then there had to have been some other word for this, since such a device was in existence since the third century BC (as Plautus indicates). And the fact is, no such word exists in the literature. The only other word (setting aside xulon, see below) was skolops (originally meaning a thorn, or sharpened stake -- used to impale people through the throat), and this came to refer to execution with or without a crosspiece -- just as it was with stauros. Whereas sources written in Latin referred to criminals carrying the patibulum (crosspiece) to the place of execution (e.g. Plautus, Miles Gloriosus, 359-360, Mostellaria, 55-57, Carbonaria, fr. 2), this term wasn't borrowed into Greek -- Greek writers (e.g. Chariton, Chaereas and Callirhoe 4.2.6-7, Plutarch, Moralia, De Sera Numinus Vindicta 554A, Mark 15:31, John 19:17, Artemidorus Daldianus, Oneirocritica 2.56) simply referred to criminals carrying the stauros (cf. the Glossae Servii Grammatici which gave stauros as the Greek equivalent of patibulum). And in my last post (on p. 8 of this thread!), I gave some quotes from non-Christian Greco-Roman authors who clearly referred to the typical cruciform shape of the instrument. One of these compares the stauros to the letter T and cleverly notes that the name of the letter (tau) is present in the word itself (stauros). So it is hardly true that stauros could not refer to instruments that had a crosspiece. The word already had this referential meaning -- it wasn't invented by later Christians. When you say, "cross is a chicken and egg situation from her arguments, did it become a meaning for cross as well as stake because they wanted it to fit the Cross doctrine and used as such", I can definitely answer that this is not the case. It was pagan Greeks and Romans -- not Christians -- who first described the cross (which was simply an execution apparatus) as having a crosspiece. That crosspiece was comes from a very old Roman custom of executing slaves by forcing them to first parade around carrying this piece of wood, the patibulum. Sometimes they crucified people on just a stake. But often they used a patibulum as well. If a case of crucifixion involves the victim being paraded around to the place of execution carrying something, that is a pretty good indication that a patibulum is involved.

The main point is this -- the actual meaning of the word was not dependent on the shape of the device, for this varied widely. It could be whatever the executioner wanted it to be -- its appearance was limited only by the executioner's imagination. Josephus described the fun that the executioners had in finding new styles of positioning their victims to the stauros (De Bello Judaico 5.451-452), clearly they did not limit themselves to just one kind of stauros. It was the same way with the Latin word for the device, crux. The first-century AD writer Seneca (De Consolatione, 20.3) noted that the crux was not of a single kind but was fabricated in different ways (cruces non unius quiden generis sed aliter ad aliis fabricatas), such that some crucify people upside down (capite quidam conversos interran suspendere), some impale them on a stake through their genitals (alii per obscena stipitem egerunt), and others stretch out the victim's arms on a crossbeam (alii brachia patibulo explicuerunt). So the stauros was not one particular kind of device -- as a general word for this kind of execution, it referred to crucifixion in all its various forms. In other words, it was not the shape of the device but its function that mattered. A crux or stauros was a wooden instrument on which people were executed by being affixed to it -- whether through nails, or rope, or by having it pierce through the body, and whether with one piece of wood, or two, or several. To give another "modern" example, consider the word "car". Are "cars" only four-door vehicles, such that some other word must refer to two-door automobiles? Must a car have a sunroof in order to be called a car? If it is missing a tail light, is it no longer a car? Does the word "car" imply that the vehicle has a red paintjob, or that it has independent rear suspension? All of these things are irrelevant to the meaning of the word "car"; the meaning of the word pertains to its function, it is a kind of vehicle that transports people or things from place to place. The shape or style of the car is not so much part of its meaning, although we probably have an idea of what cars are typically like. Similarly, in the case of writers comparing the stauros to the letter T or a similar shape, or Latin writers referring to the crosspiece, such references do suggest that such a form of the cross was indeed quite common in practice.

Regarding your friend's comments, I am not at all surprised. This is a rather obscure area of knowledge, and although the lexicons themselves bear out the fact that stauros referred to a variety of things including crosses, you really need to study the sources themselves to gain a fuller understanding of the lexical semantics of stauros....I doubt most who read Greek have made such a study. What I know has been informed by an exhaustive study I did when I was a classics student; I looked up every single reference to crucifixion in (non-Christian) Greek and Latin sources. With the Thesaurus Linguae Gracae and similar resources however, I am sure almost anyone can make a similar study for him or herself.

Regarding xulon, it must be observed that this term is only used by Jews and Christians (e.g. Josephus, Antiquitates 11.246-261; Philo, De Somniis 2.213) to refer to the execution instrument. This again has nothing to do with the shape of the device, as if "tree" can only be used to refer to a simple stake (indeed, the Romans referred to the crux as an arbor/lignum infelix, "unhappy tree", even the kind of crux that has a crosspiece, see Seneca, Epistle 101.14). The reason why this word is used is quite clear -- the Jews regarded the commandment in Deuteronomy 21:22-23, which required bodies hung on trees to be buried the same day, as applying to crucifixion. This scripture did not originally refer to crucifixion, at least of the Roman kind; this form of execution did not exist yet. This text referred to a literal hanging on trees. But when the Greeks and then Romans brought the practice of crucifixion to Judea, the Jews applied the commandment to this new form of punishment. Hence, the Jews demanded Pilate to remove Jesus and the thieves from their crosses "to prevent the bodies remaining on the cross during the sabbath" (John 19:31; cf. Luke 23:50-54). The Dead Sea Scrolls dating to the first century BC twice cited Deuteronomy 21:22-23 with reference to crucifixion practiced by the Romans or Hellenized Jews (11QT, 64:6-13; 4QpNah, 3-4:1:1-11; the latter text refers to the crucifixions by Alexander Janneus in 88 BC, compare Josephus, Antiquitates 13.14.2, Bellum Judaicum 1.4.5-6). Similarly, Paul applied the scripture (derived from the LXX, which uses xulon to render the Hebrew word for "tree") to the crucifixion of Jesus:

"Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law by being cursed for our sake, since the scripture says: 'Cursed be everyone who is hanged on a tree (xulon)'. This was done so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might include the pagans, and so that through faith we might receive the promised Spirit" (Galatians 3:13-14).

That is why xulon is used in the NT to refer to the stauros of Jesus. Such usage of the term is only an indication that the writers understood Deuteronomy 21:22-23 as applying to crucifixion. It doesn't imply anything about the shape of the device used (so xulon refers to a T-shaped stauros in Barnabas 5:13, cf. 9:7-8, 12:1-2).

Finally, in your first reply you presented a quote from http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/newworldtranslation/stauros.htm and in a later post you said: "if you check my sources in all cases I was careful not to quote Witness sites or scripture using other bibles and sites, the one i used on stauros is not a witness one and indeed condemns them using 'Torture Stake' saying it is incorrect you would not get that on a witness site". But this is not the case. The page is explicitly "A Defense of the New World Translation," and if you look at the "Home" page, the authors of the webpage say: "This site is both owned and managed by those who are Jehovah's Witnesses themselves." What you quote is only partly a source that they quote, all the rest is their own (uninformed) comment:

The Classic Greek Dictionary, Greek-English and English-Greek, With an Appendix of Proper and Geographical Names prepared by George Ricker Berry reads under "stauros": "..an upright pale, stake or pole; in plu. a palisade. II. the Cross. (p. 648). Although this lexicon seems to give "the Cross" as a meaning for "stauros" it seems rather as a reference than a meaning ("the Cross" rather than "a cross") and to that of Jesus Christ. Hence definition II is somewhat 'suspect' and may only reflect the lexicons belief that the stauros in the NT was cross-shaped or it may be giving it as a reference, that is, that when we read in the English Bibles "cross" this is from the Greek stauros and no indication it was actually cross-shaped. In its definition 1 though there is no doubt the meaning of stauros and anything other than that stauros meant more than one piece of wood, whether it was a "pale, stake or pole" is not mentioned and certainly none of which were 'cross-shaped.' This is its meaning in all the Greek classics such as Homer. There is no evidence that the from or shape of the stauros in Jesus Christ's case was any different.

They just quote a snippit from the lexicon and the rest is their comment. I don't have this particular lexicon, but the Liddell & Scott dictionary similarly says: "stauros, ho, an upright pale or stake, ... Od. 14.11, cf. Il.24.453, Thuc. 4.90, Xen. An. 5.2, 21; of piles driven in to serve as a foundation, Hdt. 5.16, Thuc. 7.25, cf. stauroma. II. the Cross, as the Roman instrument of Crucifixion, Diod. 2.18, cf. Plut. 2.554A; epi ton st. apagesthai Luc. Peregr. 34; st. lambanein, airein, bastazein, metaph. of voluntary suffering, Ev. Matth. 10.38, Luc. 9.23., 14.27; its form was represented by the Greek letter T, Luc. Jud. Voc. 12" (p. 1422). As you can see, this dictionary is not guessing in referring to the (common) form of the instrument, it gives a citation (the same one I gave in my last post). The really funny thing here is that the web authors in your quote say that the meaning of stauros is "stake" in "all the Greek classics", which presumably would include Lucian, whom they cite later on the same page as supporting the NWT's claim that stauros could not refer to a stake with a crosspiece -- when Lucian himself explicitly described the stauros as T-shaped (!). Mentioning Homer is also quite beside the point since the Homeric epics constitute the oldest Greek literature, written long before crucifixion came into vogue in the Mediterranean.

The real difference in meaning is this: I "an upright pale, stake or pole". This is the older meaning, and this simply refers to an upright pole -- it has nothing to do with execution. Then came along II: "the Cross". This is the newer, more specialized meaning. The difference is that now it refers to an instrument used in a ghastly form of execution involving the affixing of a victim to a post -- commonly with nails (i.e. "cross" as the device used in "crucifixion," not necessarily of a particular type). That meaning came along by the fourth or third century BC, first in reference to Persian crucifixion and then later in reference to Roman crucifixion. Sometimes the device had a patibulum, sometimes it did not, sometimes it had a sedile (a thorn-shaped piece of wood on which the victim sits), sometimes it did not, sometimes it had a titilus (a piece of wood attached to the instrument stating the crime the person is executed for), sometimes it did not. The key thing is that the word started out just referring to an upright timber, then a later sense came along that pertained to a particular use of the timber -- as an instrument of execution. The same thing happened with xulon in Greek, which acquired all sorts of specialized meanings having to do with punishment -- pillories, stocks, clubs, etc. I suppose if I referred to an execution of someone on "the chair", I think you would understand that specialized meaning as well.

Of course, this discussion is separate from a discussion of whether the stauros of Jesus was believed by early Christians to have had a crosspiece. I do believe there is evidence of this, such as the reference to Jesus carrying his stauros to the execution site which corresponds to the Roman patibulum-bearing practice, but that is a separate issue. The point here is that the Society's claim that stauros could not have referred to a stake with a crosspiece is unfounded. To bring this back to the first question you posed -- if stauros referred only to simple execution stakes and not those that had crosspieces, then what word did? If no such word existed, then what reason is there to assume that stauros could not refer to them?

BTW, the website has many other quotes and claims that are not well-founded, along with some valid observations (such as the fact that the archaeological remains of crucifixion from Giv'at ha-Mitvar are ambiguous as to whether a crosspiece was used), I would say to be quite cautious about accepting what such sources as Vine, Bullinger, Parsons say at face value, as they are quite erroneous (see my thread for some discussion).

• TheKings
    TheKings

"Children have no choice but to be brought up in whatever belief is around them even if it is a complete lack of belief, If there parents won't do it then they'll find someone who will. I see enough council estate kids left to their own divices around me that hang out with the charassmatic drug seller and his cool car :S, you can't bring children up in vacuum they will pick up on your values and motivations and as a natural progression as teenagers rebel and find their own thoughts and motivations, thats just biology."

you seem to completely miss the point. Some beliefs hinder the growth of children. Whether that be mentally, physically, emotionally, or even by stripping them of the ability to have their own beliefs and be accepted for them.

JW kids aren't allowed to have a "natural progression" growing up. If you are taught since you were a child that you either believe a certain way or DIE or become as good as dead to your family, it's not really a choice is it? Don't try to make witnesses sound normal, because they're not. These beliefs handicap children, just as you, in all honestly, appear to be mentally handicapped to the point of delusion. You say that JW's are just like everyone else, but then how are they "the truth"???lol they are not special AT ALL ... and you can't even see it. It's right in front of you but you can't see it because you don't want to.

You explained the bad times you had with them then you say you didn't? ...lol again.

a person who is completely lost is in no position to defend anything.

first, find YOUR OWN beliefs to defend. that is the start to freedom. no organization of fallible men can make you better than a mere man. no man can make god love you more or less, and any man who tries to tell you that they have the power to decide whether god will kill or save you or anyone is a LIAR. ... and that just happens to be what the WTS prides themselves on, judgement. If i were you, i wouldn't want to be judged with that lot of pharisees. I was raised a JW. I ate all of the doctrine readily, like a goddamn sponge. But when I left I found out that all the crap they teach about "the world" is just that. It's crap. It's myth. It's a "red scare". There's no truth to it at all. The only people that that kind of talk attracts is vulnerable people, people who are having hard times and want to blame something. It does not attract mentally healthy persons.

but hey, some people just have to hit rock bottom before they see what's right in front of them. a witness complaining about "worldly" people is like a man nestled into a cobra's nest complaining about the heat outside. it's effing laughable.

• phivu m
    phivu m

hi there, i would like to share with you my personal story. i'm 32 male, asian, moved to the states 17yrs ago, raised as jw , disfellowshipped 8 yrs ago. i was raised a jw in a communist country ( one extreme country and one extreme mind control religion) since my entry to 1st grade i was taught flag salute was wrong so every monday i had to stand behind a bigger kid try not to salute the flag or sing the anthem, most of the time i wasn't to lucky. i was either beaten up or stood on my knees in front to school so every students will know that i was a bad citizen, there were times i begged the teachers not to beat me up because it was very painful. i went home lying to my mom that i was bad at school that why i was punished. opposite from that i was a very smart student you all know about asian kids being smart at school rite, i was above that as well. i was a popular among kids and most teachers loved me because i was charming. in a communist country, they brainwash you that everyone is equal and receive fair shares , yes they are rite, we're all equally poor and receive fair shares which are nothing. they had no regards for freedom ( as long as u act the way they want u to then you'll receive the freedom to live), in another way you will get killed if you have any thoughts. with that in mind i still stood up and held my head high. i was alone, i often pat myself on the shoulder that i did a good job, because i received no support. one thing the kept me going and until now is that in my mind i tell myself regardless of what i do i am and always God's favorite kid well, jehovah's witness has elevate themselves to the Truth( above everyone) just like communist. they set themselves for great criticisms, but they refuse to take it like a man, in my case i took it like a boy 6 year of age you see. they are very much like a communist. they are a closed community w/ great circle of friends but if u had any other ideas then they willing to turn against you. they teach everyone's equal under Jehovah's eye, just like the communist, but the ones that control everybody is a very small group. they change their teachings years after years and claiming that it's because they've been enlightenned , but do you know how many lives had lost because of that, a lots. but there were no apology, because it was Jehovah's spirit guided them. when u belong in a group it's natural that they will protect you. but we're all belong in a group of human that share the earth so someone in this group eventually will find and protect you. u must walk with your head hold high and that you are the Grand Creator's favorite daughter and you will make your life count. we're all are equal under Jehovah God not a small group of men, and that is the Truth. best wish to you, keep getting up, phivu

• Sirona
    Sirona

Leolaia,

Thanks for that thorough post.

Reniaa,

Here Leolaia proves you wrong (in something you said to me) in case you missed it:

Finally, in your first reply you presented a quote from http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/newworldtranslation/stauros.htm and in a later post you said: "if you check my sources in all cases I was careful not to quote Witness sites or scripture using other bibles and sites, the one i used on stauros is not a witness one and indeed condemns them using 'Torture Stake' saying it is incorrect you would not get that on a witness site". But this is not the case. The page is explicitly "A Defense of the New World Translation," and if you look at the "Home" page, the authors of the webpage say: "This site is both owned and managed by those who are Jehovah's Witnesses themselves." What you quote is only partly a source that they quote, all the rest is their own (uninformed) comment:

The Classic Greek Dictionary, Greek-English and English-Greek, With an Appendix of Proper and Geographical Names prepared by George Ricker Berry reads under "stauros": "..an upright pale, stake or pole; in plu. a palisade. II. the Cross. (p. 648). Although this lexicon seems to give "the Cross" as a meaning for "stauros" it seems rather as a reference than a meaning ("the Cross" rather than "a cross") and to that of Jesus Christ. Hence definition II is somewhat 'suspect' and may only reflect the lexicons belief that the stauros in the NT was cross-shaped or it may be giving it as a reference, that is, that when we read in the English Bibles "cross" this is from the Greek stauros and no indication it was actually cross-shaped. In its definition 1 though there is no doubt the meaning of stauros and anything other than that stauros meant more than one piece of wood, whether it was a "pale, stake or pole" is not mentioned and certainly none of which were 'cross-shaped.' This is its meaning in all the Greek classics such as Homer. There is no evidence that the from or shape of the stauros in Jesus Christ's case was any different.

They just quote a snippit from the lexicon and the rest is their comment.

Sirona

• jgnat
    jgnat

Welcome, phivu. You have some great insights on what freedom really means. My guess is that you are going to really enjoy America.

• berylblue
    berylblue

Welcome, Phivu. We have our problems in the US as well, and even though I know you will miss your homeland, you will like it here, I'm sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit