Atheist in U.S. poll 4% ------ Atheist on JWD 90 % ?

by caliber 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• caliber
    caliber

Can this really be so ? ( One recent post indicated this 90% figure)

I don't wish to debate the pro's and con's of atheism, just help me understand your personal

reasonings for this huge difference in figures. I'm here to listen and learn not to speak.

Thankyou

Caliber

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Where's your stats from, may I ask?

INQ

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

The survey shows actually

1.6 athesist

2.4 agnostic

to arrive at your 4% http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

hope

• penny2
    penny2

We are not exactly representative of the population at large. Mostly, we have left a religion which taught us to distrust all other religions.

• caliber
    caliber

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2007-10-13-atheists-convention_N.htm

Green said the number of people who do not worship is slowly growing but the exact number of atheists in America is unknown because many people are reluctant to identify themselves that way. About 4% of people in Pew's latest survey said they were atheist or agnostic and an additional 10% said they followed no religion.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/154260/1.ashx

comments by regular board members

Caliber

• yesidid
    yesidid
    One recent post indicated this 90% figure

I must say I am impressed at the scientific way you arrived at the % of atheists on the board.

yesidid

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I am not sure that the percentage of athiests here would be 90%. Remember that just because a person does not join another religion does not make them an athiest. There is quite a mix of Deists, pantheists, agnostics, Pagans , Christians not associated with other any religious institution, and people that have joined other Christian religions ... and so forth.

• caliber
    caliber

I must say I am impressed at the scientific way you arrived at the % of atheists on the board.

If you noticed at the end of the sentence it is what they call a question mark; therefore this is not a statement.

It was meant to promote discussion and I believe I have accomplished this purpose.

Can this really be so ? ( One recent post indicated this 90% figure)

Caliber

• Warlock
    Warlock

In the world, not believing in God is not a big deal.

Here, people view not believing in God with higher intelligence. That is because they really feel inadequate to deal with life out of the WTS.

Warlock

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I personally feel (no science involved!) that it's about 50/50 on this board. And I feel that figure of Atheists would be much higher than the general population because to have been a witless and now not be requires determination, intelligence and a very questioning mind. This leads a lot to reason there is no god.

Personally I have followed the typical route of Christian - Agnostic and now I'm leaning towards Atheism, but also quite like the Deism belief, Which accepts 'God' may have started things off, but now has no interest in what goes on here.

Poppy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit