Atheist in U.S. poll 4% ------ Atheist on JWD 90 % ?

by caliber 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I heard that kind of thing when I was with JW's, and I don't believe such things any more.

Oh, that was a joke about the angels at your bed. You were supposed to laugh. Monica and Tess were fictional TV characters.

I never heard God loved me from the JW's. I heard that he was just ready to kill me, for any little infraction. I was never going to make him happy. They aren't big on telling about God's love. They are very big on telling of God's hate. I find that irritating. The only thing at all that bothers me about atheism is that sometimes atheists can be as condescending as fundy christians.

I don't think it's important that you believe, Gopher.

• inrainbows
    inrainbows

Funny stat.

I think you'd find that ex-cultists know 86% more about religion and belief in god than non-ex-cultists.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

fundamentalism is faith in it's purest form. fundies build their lives upon their faith. every single move is faith-oriented. a bible-under-the-arm-christian who goes by the letter might be viewed as fundamentalist by liberal jesus-loves-you-christians but in the end the former is more honest, more true to his belief.

now if someone, who knows religion in it's purest form - which usually coincides with it's most horrible form - finds out that it's all full of rubbish - and this is far from being a rapid process, it may take years and decades full of doubt, anger, depression and sleepless nights to come to this conclusion - you can't just sell that someone your next best religious flavour.

if you think, the bible is true to the letter, you can't love god. the bible's paints a monster of a god. you can't possible like, less worship such a god - a mass-murdering, anger-laden, nationalist, unjust, completely insane maniac.

if you think, the bible should not be taken literally, well... what's left for your christian faith? what's the base? if you just pick some verses about love, you might as well take some humanist literature and drop the bible and it's sick superhero.

if you read the bible, you can't believe in it anymore. if you drop the bible, you can invent your own god, but you know it's just invented. which makes you pretty much anything between a deist and an agnostic. once you turned agnostic you might as well call yourself an atheist. because if you can't know anything about a god, why would you believe in one?

the USA have a high religious tendency as of lately. i heard it's not allways good to declare yourself an atheist publicly (and why would one do that anyway). and stats always lie.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey! If our moderator team is any indication, I'd say the board is more likely 60/40, 60% athiest/agnostic. Why the higher proportion than the general population? I'd say after a lifetime of being indoctrinated with the flaws of all other religions, followed by a catastrophic revelation that the Witnesses are no better... is it any wonder?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

My personal experience (which means nothing I know) indicates to me that there are many more atheists than this poll indicates.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    if you read the bible, you can't believe in it anymore. if you drop the bible, you can invent your own god, but you know it's just invented. which makes you pretty much anything between a deist and an agnostic.

There's a third option you didn't mention. Some of the largest denominations today, recognize that the Bible is not all inspired. They recogize that men wrote it and that not all of it is what God said. The violent things attributed to God? Some guy said so. That doesn't make it so.

An agnostic is not an atheist.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

> There's a third option you didn't mention.
    you are right, there are still other options, that have nothing to do with the bible at all.

> Some of the largest denominations today, recognize that the Bible is not all inspired. They recogize that men wrote it and that not all of it is what God said. The violent things attributed to God? Some guy said so. That doesn't make it so.
    that's exactly what i mean. a self-service buffet for many tastes. this way the bible becomes irrelevant and random. so the bible says god is violent? so what. so the bible says jesus lived? so what...

> An agnostic is not an atheist.
    most atheists are agnostic and most agnostics are atheist. it's pretty much the same thing, different angle. of course an agnostic can also be a theist or deist, but that's rather the exception.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

> Some of the largest denominations today, recognize that the Bible is not all inspired. They recogize that men wrote it and that not all of it is what God said. The violent things attributed to God? Some guy said so. That doesn't make it so. that's exactly what i mean. a self-service buffet for many tastes. this way the bible becomes irrelevant and random. so the bible says god is violent? so what. so the bible says jesus lived? so what...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/158392/2909138/post.ashx#2909138

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/158392/2909197/post.ashx#2909197

BTS

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

burn, i've read your comments (and we've debated earlier), but it's clear that "mainstream" christianity only until "recently" - which surprisingly pretty much coincides with it's loss of power - narrowed it's dependency on "the bible". which makes it hard to believe, that this is an "authentic" view of things.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    burn, i've read your comments (and we've debated earlier), but it's clear that "mainstream" christianity only until "recently" - which surprisingly pretty much coincides with it's loss of power - narrowed it's dependency on "the bible". which makes it hard to believe, that this is an "authentic" view of things.

It isn't recent. It has always been so with apostolic Christianity. Historic Christianity does not depend on the Bible alone. It never has. During it's first four centuries there wasn't even a book you could call the "Bible"! The Bible is a deposit of the Christian faith. But it is not alone. BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit