I have a HUGE dilemma and I need your help/advice

by Bumble Bee 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Ok I posted a couple weeks ago that my uncle was dying. I just found out today that he passed away on February 28th (yeah I know, I'm always the last to know these things).

Ok, here's the problem - his funeral is scheduled for March 15th. They couldn't have it this Saturday, apparently there is something going on at Gillead and people that would be attending the funeral will be there instead.

I have plans on the 15th - a St Patrick's day party with my apostate friends. Sweetface is coming up from DC and we have a room booked for the weekend.

Have I mentioned that I really don't want to go to the funeral? I was not close to him, said my goodbye at the hospital already, and really don't feel a part of this side of my family, and never will because they are ALL super dubs.

Soooooo, do I forego the funeral and stick with the plans I already have, or do my familial duty and attend the funeral? (As a side note, none of my counsins came to my fathers funeral, not that that should be a deciding factor in the matter.)

I would feel this way about not wanting to go even if I didn't have the plans I do.

HELP!

BB

• pmouse
    pmouse

Send flowers and your condolences and then go ahead and follow through on your plans.

Paula

• Satanus
    Satanus

"do I forego the funeral"

"I really don't want to go to the funeral"

Seems simple, to me.

S

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Unless you have some idea that you attending would make a good impression on them, then I wouldnt go if i were you.

#1 you weren't even that close.

#2 They never had the decency to inform you of his death.

The big question is ---Would your uncle even care that you came, would he have wanted you to be there, and not just for the opportunity for you to get a JW preaching at the funeral either?

• oompa
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Do what you want to do instead of what you think some people that you have nothing to do with might want you to do.

Your uncle will not care one way or another, may he RIP.

In fact, he'd probably prefer that you enjoy yourself with your friends instead of simply complying with protocol.

• free2think
    free2think
    Send flowers and your condolences and then go ahead and follow through on your plans.

My thoughts exactly, especially as you've already said your goodbyes and you don't want to go.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Although I'm not Christian, I think these words attributed to Jesus say it best: "Let the dead bury their dead."

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    so really you have already answered the question! just make sure you book at least a king for you me and sweetface.........oompa

Sorry oompa - Uzzah and memario beat you to it! lol

Would your uncle even care that you came, would he have wanted you to be there, and not just for the opportunity for you to get a JW preaching at the funeral either?

Well, according to his beliefs, he won't know that I'm not there now will he JG. Honestly I don't know the answer to that question. I was surprised to get the call that he wanted to see me when he found out he was dying, and did seem pleased/happy that I was there.

BB

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Funerals do change people's plans. It depends on many factors.
    You did say your goodbye and show your respect at the hospital.
    You did say that you really don't want to go to the funeral.
    You did say that you were not close to the uncle, and really "don't
    feel a part of this side of my family, and never will because they
    are ALL super dubs."

Funerals are not FOR the dead person's feelings. They are for the
    feelings of the living. If you will feel ultra-uncomfortable and unwelcome,
    you can feel free to skip comforting your living relatives.

But if you feel a duty toward even one of the relatives that will be
    greiving heavily and would be comforted by your presence, you might
    consider going, because you can't unring the bell. If you are pretty sure
    that this is not the case, then go to the St. Patty thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit