Wear Your Motorcycle Helmet

by Justitia Themis 106 Replies latest social physical

• 5go
    5go
    I do not want any governmental entity to throttle my legally purchased vehicle, even though I may never, and indeed have no intention of, going at an insane speed while riding it. IS THAT SIMPLE ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND?

Let me tell you like it is. You do not have absolute freedom. If we did you could do what ever you wanted. We live in a civilized world with social contracts. One of which is you must obey safety regulations. We the people allow to purchase a vehicle that can go faster than the speed limit under the understanding you won't do it on public roads. So you may be able to easily do it on a private road ( considered off road ) if you want too. If people can not be trusted to do that and it becomes a big enough problem. Then the people through their representatives will force auto-makers to limit vehicles top speed via a governor. Don't like then move to Afghanistan where there is no functioning government and you and the locals may do what ever they please. Short of pissing the NATO forces in the area off.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

My husband rides a Harley, used to have a crotch rocket. Always wears his helmet and obeys the speed limits. But he had a dog run out in front of him while he was on a curve going under the limit. He laid the bike down. Fortunately cut up his arm, and killed his helmet.

There is no way this man in the pic is alive. Without the verifiable news stories, you can see he is dead. If he was alive the paramedics would be surrounding him. These have to be post mortem police report shots.

momz

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc
    Let me tell you like it is. You do not have absolute freedom. If we did you could do what ever you wanted. We live in a civilized world with social contracts. One of which is you must obey safety regulations. We the people allow to purchase a vehicle that can go faster than the speed limit under the understanding you won't do it on public roads. So you may be able to easily do it on a private road ( considered off road ) if you want too. If people can not be trusted to do that and it becomes a big enough problem. Then the people through their representatives will force auto-makers to limit vehicles top speed via a governor. Don't like then move to Afghanistan where there is no functioning government and you and the locals may do what ever they please. Short of pissing the NATO forces in the area off.

Now 5go, let me tell you how it is. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know. There, 7 "I know"s. I'm quite aware that we don't enjoy absolute freedom here, and that absolute freedom probably wouldn't be as joyous as it sounds. Now, I will once again explain my position so that people who either love to argue, or don't have good reading comprehension, can understand.

I do not want a speed limited motorcycle. I do not want the Govt. to mandate that my motorcycle is speed limited. That being said, some people should not be on fast motorcycles, and because of that, the Govt. will probably mandate some sort of safety measure. When that time comes I'll obey the law, but won't like it, and will probably bitch about it constantly.

• PEC
    PEC
    Nope, in fact most cars are limited to 90 MPH. Mainly because the tires they have are rated to 100 MPH.

Really, name 5. I had a 1986 Honda CRX, it had only 70 hp and had a top speed of over 115 mph. Most vehicles sold today have over 200 hp and have a top speeds well over 115 mph. Notice the categories of tires rated for less than 100 mph are Temporary Spare Tires and Studless & Studdable Winter Tires. I would not put anything below an H rating on any of my vehicles; because, the side walls are not stiff enough for safe collision avoidance. If you want to know how fast, I have driven on a public road, ask Barbie Doll, she loves to tell everyone.

M81 mph130 km/h
    N87 mph140km/hTemporary Spare Tires
    P93 mph150 km/h
    Q99 mph160 km/hStudless & Studdable Winter Tires
    R106 mph170 km/hH.D. Light Truck Tires
    S112 mph180 km/hFamily Sedans & Vans
    T118 mph190 km/hFamily Sedans & Vans
    U124 mph200 km/h
    H130 mph210 km/hSport Sedans & Coupes
    V149 mph240 km/hSport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars
    W168 mph270 km/hExotic Sports Cars
    Y186 mph300 km/hExotic Sports Cars

Philip

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I know. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know. There, 7 "I know"s.

Isn't that heavenly completeness?

• 5go
    5go
    I do not want a speed limited motorcycle. I do not want the Govt. to mandate that my motorcycle is speed limited.

You say you know but then go and prove you don't know.

No one is saying you can buy a 230 MPH motorcycle it just won't be street legal I.E. You can not drive it on the street do to the fact people ( yep this is the glass bottle delima some other moron ruins it for you ) can not be trusted to drive it safely on public roads.

• 5go
    5go
    Really, name 5. I had a 1986 Honda CRX, it had only 70 hp and had a top speed of over 115 mph. Most vehicles sold today have over 200 hp and have a top speeds well over 115 mph. Notice the categories of tires rated for less than 100 mph are Temporary Spare Tires and Studless & Studdable Winter Tires. I would not put anything below an H rating on any of my vehicles; because, the side walls are not stiff enough for safe collision avoidance. If you want to know how fast, I have driven on a public road, ask Barbie Doll, she loves to tell everyone.

90's Buick Century had one limited to 90 MPH

90's Crown Victoria civilian models 89 MPH friends

All Chrysler minivans post 1989 90 MPH

2000 Cavalier Z24 90 MPH Infamous problem with J-Car lovers.

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 90 MPH

Most cars with OBD-2 have the top speed set around 90 MPH. Keywords most cars.

And with a bit more research I found that Mustangs and Camaros without z rated tires are governed at 115-120 MPH.

• Highlander
    Highlander

5go,

I've driven all those cars on your list. I've also driven each of those cars beyond 100 mph.

The OBD-2 computer systems do not limit speeds on the vast majority of vehicles.

Here in Los Angeles, when the freeways are open, many drivers are cruising beyond the 90 mph speed that you state most vehicles are limited to.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Going almost 110 MPH in the Panamint Valley on New Year's Eve.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/01-2007-PanamintValley.jpg

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

You say you know but then go and prove you don't know.

No one is saying you can buy a 230 MPH motorcycle it just won't be street legal I.E. You can not drive it on the street do to the fact people ( yep this is the glass bottle delima some other moron ruins it for you ) can not be trusted to drive it safely on public roads

Say I know what? I said it as plainly as could, and won't say it again, but I will say this 5go. The next time you have thought...just let it go.

BTW stock Camaros with LS or LT motors will go way faster than 120 MPH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit