Wear Your Motorcycle Helmet

by Justitia Themis 106 Replies latest social physical

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Whatever Brent... What about the MILLIONS of people who smoke without insurance? What about the people who live on the street and drink themselves into a stupor and then show up in the ER? Or the kids who speed in their little rice burners carrying 10 and 10 on the insurance? The fact is that if your looking to save money then you should insist that ALL bikers don't wear helmets. I would be willing to bet that the increase in fatalities would result in a net savings. Or how about insisting that everyone admited to the hospital without insurance over age 65 is taken out back and executed?

This argument that 'you should wear a helmet because I think you should' is so unbelievably offensive to bikers...

I mean what do you like? Skiing? Boating? How about if I sit back and start making stupid arbitrary rules for YOUR life just because I feel like it? Unbelievable!

• BrentR
    BrentR

I like boating and I not only have boat insurance but also medical insurance. It's called responsibilty.

BTW, people over 65 are covered by medicare, no need for execution. Bad example. People that smoke in my state are allready paying some hefty taxes to offset the health expenses they rack up from not having insurance.

Your argument is from a philosophic standpoint and mine is from medical experience. If you would have seen what I have after working 15 yrs in emergency medical services you would understand where I am comming from. You at least owe it to yourself to visit your nearest head injury rehabilitation center and experience first hand what a persistant vegetative state is. It's horrible. Feeding tubes, diapers, bed sores, muscle atrophy (shrinkage), it's a long nasty list. You are not really alive but not dead either.

I would never want that to happen to you or anyone else and often times it can be prevented.

Indian Larry, an amazing man, an amazing craftman, artist and mentor to many custom bike builders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIk9Xo8dH6A

Rest in peace, I never missed a single one of your shows.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    If a law requiring a helmet to be used has proven to cut down on death rates (associated with non helmeted motorcyclists), related injuries and cut down on medical expenses, then it makes sense wanting to pass laws requiring helmets be worn.

Yeeeeeaaaaah.... Sure... Well people choke to death eating steak more often then eating mashed potato's so I think we should ban steak! People get killed skiing who wouldn't get hurt at all if they had just sat at home on the couch! So outlaw that too! Where does it end? Living LIFE is dangerous, if your scared then stay the hell home and wrap your family in bubble wrap and let those of us who enjoy life and want to live it do it!

I mean this argument is unbelievably arrogant...

it makes sense wanting to pass laws requiring helmets be worn.

Yeah I'm sorry, this argument is fragile and offensive. Although I do not ride a motorcycle,
    I imagine that wearing a helmet significantly changes the experience. Riding has been described
    as the closest thing to flying without leaving the ground, and I think your hair blowing in the
    wind is a profound part of that feeling of freedom and exhilaration.

You may as well ban sky diving while you are at it, and backcountry snowboarding, and for good
    measure- ban having sex without a condom.

For many perfectly normal people, danger and pleasure are closely linked.

This is a undeniable part of being human, and unless you are going to hurt someone else
    who did NOT sign up for the risk, the government has no right to ruin your choice to burn
    out rather than fade away.

[inkling]

You both seem to be more theoretical when it comes to your thoughts/opinions on the matter. I look at the facts and base my opinion on that- we don't think the same way which is fine, but calling my opinion (that I based on fact) "arrogant, a fragile argument (and) offensive" surprises me. You've both stated helmets shouldn't be required based on your personal perception, because you feel it takes away from the motorcycle experience, and various other opinions based on feeling. To me that's an incredibly weak argument to make.

This argument that 'you should wear a helmet because I think you should' is so unbelievably offensive to bikers...

Now that's an arrogant comment- I know motorcyclists as a whole don't hold this opinion.

• PEC
    PEC

I wore a seatbelt before there were seatbelt laws and I would ware a helmet law or no law. Suicide is illegal along with the other two, where I live and in many other places.

Philip

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

I wear a helmet because it's more comfy to me. A friggin june hitting you at 60mph will leave a nice mark.

http://www.yatesfamily.com/tonsilcancer/gotta_ride.htm

Can someone make this clickable?

• AudeSapere
  • BrentR
    BrentR

It takes more balls then brains to ride without a helmet and odds are high you will end up losing the function of both.

I wear a helmet when I ride outside of my neighborhood, but resent the fact that wearing a helmet is imposed upon me as a matter of law instead it being a matter of choice. Nevertheless, even if the law did not require it, I'd wear my helmet. This spring, my face shield has required cleaning after every ride due to bug splatters. Also, I've been hit many times by rocks kicking up on the freeway at 80 + mph. One of those rocks striking an unprotected face would not be pleasant.

However, in my neighborhood, police are rarely present, and I frequently ride without a helmet there (at slow speeds). It feels good to feel the wind and to not look like "Kazoo" from the Flintstones.

• BrentR
    BrentR

The first time I dumped my bike I was only going around 15 MPH. I still smacked my head real bad on the pavement and remember how bad it hurt even with a helmet. That was the same day I got the helmet and I remember how pissed I was that my $250 Shoei had a huge scratch on it. But all my riding friends were quick to point out that could have been my head. My head hurt for over week after that spill and I could not help but keep thinking what would have happened if I was going 30,40 or 60 MPH and was not wearing a helmet. Sobering.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    Your argument is from a philosophic standpoint and mine is from medical experience. If you would have seen what I have after working 15 yrs in emergency medical services you would understand where I am coming from.

Hey great job on not reading any other post until the last page... As I've already stated I've been an EMT since 96. I've worked as a fireman on rescue and been in the medical field on and off for most of my adult life... Good job on jumping into an argument thats already five pages long and assuming you know the whole situation.

You at least owe it to yourself to visit your nearest head injury rehabilitation center and experience first hand what a persistent vegetative state is. It's horrible. Feeding tubes, diapers, bed sores, muscle atrophy (shrinkage), it's a long nasty list. You are not really alive but not dead either.
    You both seem to be more theoretical when it comes to your thoughts/opinions on the matter.

Hey guess what YOUR arguments are NOT from a medical EITHER both of you are arguing from a philosophical prospective.

How so? Because no one is questioning the FACT that if you get in an accident with a helmet on your going to come out a lot better off. Since no one is QUESTIONING it then you stating a bunch of facts in support of that proves NOTHING because NO ONE IS ARGUING THAT POINT! What we ARE arguing is that the FACT that accident injury and increased damage some how give you the RIGHT to make us wear helmets. That is a philosophical argument ONLY! The FACT that if I get in an accident I might be hurt worse because I'm not wearing a helmet does not give you the right to force me to do anything.

Your argument is based on ignorance (non inclusion of ALL dangerous sports or activities just singling out ONE) and arrogance (assuming that you have the right to tell me another ADULT what to do... FYI you DON'T).

It takes more balls then brains to ride without a helmet and odds are high you will end up losing the function of both.

Wow... They said you were stupid but you sure proved THEM... I guess this is another example of your 'medical arguments?'

The first time I dumped my bike I was only going around 15 MPH.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe your just a shit rider? FYI helmets are rated for ONE impact. Your chastizing me while you ride around with a helmet that is worthless... Anther job well done there adolph...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit