Wear Your Motorcycle Helmet

by Justitia Themis 106 Replies latest social physical

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc
    Would a severe speed limiter (like less that 120 mph) affect the way the bike feels at lower speeds and acceleration

Most new bikes are fuel injected and computer controled, so limiting top-speed could be accomplished electronically. Honestly, this wouldn't affect the handling or acceleration of the machine, and most riders wouldn't get near the top of the limiter anyway.

Personally, I beleive that a tiered liscensing system, like that used in GB and Europe, would be the way to make riders and riding safer.

• TD
    TD

I wasn't there so I obviously can't speak with any authority, but having worked as an EMT when I was younger, several things stand out:

Blunt trauma to the chest

Broken neck

Police / Coroner pictures are taken after the victim is pronounced dead

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

"Yeah I don't think the helmet would have done much for the 120mph impact into the back of the semi truck"

But the lorry was in motion too, so I would suspect it was more like a 60mph impact. Still enough to snap one's neck, given the angle of the impact.

• 5go
    5go
    "we know what's best for you" legislation turns my stomach. Let the flaming begin.

It's called being civilized. If you read the account that man's motorcycle spread debry all over the road on impact at 120 MPH. He was endangering others. If someone wants to do 186 MPH they can go to a track and use a non street legal version and kill and hurt themselves then. There is no earthly reason one should be doing 100+ MPH on a public road. Let the flaming begin.

• 5go
    5go

Before that, I would like a bit more information...

Would a severe speed limiter (like less that 120 mph) affect the way the bike feels at lower speeds and acceleration?

Nope, in fact most cars are limited to 90 MPH. Mainly because the tires they have are rated to 100 MPH.

• inkling
    inkling

ahem:

Inkling, I'm getting the inkling you might need meds.

Yes, I hear that skepticism and the ability to use a search engine ARE indeed
    medically treatable conditions. I will look into that.

Lying? Most sources say that lying involves intent

Indeed. I never said you were lying. I said that you were EITHER lying or
    you passed on extremely implausible and illogical "fact" without even making
    an attempt at fact checking.

Several people made excellent deductions just from looking at the photo
    and hearing the story that it seemed impossible that he lived. Their
    basic reasoning skills served them well it would seem.

If your source was indeed a trustworthy friend with a good track record
    of avoiding groundless rumors, then I do indeed owe you an apology.

In the future, citing you source or at least their credentials
    would be a excellent way of insulating yourself from fault.

Honestly, if a friend of mine who was, say, a police officer or EMT
    personally emailed me that picture and told me that they or a team
    member had been on the scene and SAW him live, I could see myself
    passing that story along as trustworthy.

If this source has never before passed along a sensational story,
    and you trusted him, then the fault lay with your source more that you.

As for the word "peril" I was using the a phrase with slight
    hyperbole. That fact is that this sort of false-fact propagation
    happens all the time on the internet, due to the ease of information
    transfer (so easy to click send/post before thinking) and the lack
    of editors and fact checkers found in the professional media.

Many times this misinformation in banal (like this time) but other
    times the passing along of bad medical of safety advice without
    checking sources can indeed literally kill.

He who has good critical thinking skills in trivial matter has good
    critical thinking skills more serious matters.

May we all take a lesson from this, and I didn't mean any of this
    as rude or hurtful.

[inkling]

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Your right, a person should not be endangering others on the road by riding at an excessive rate of speed, but I don't want the goddamn government telling me so.

sooner7nc

• 5go
    5go

Your right, a person should not be endangering others on the road by riding at an excessive rate of speed, but I don't want the goddamn government telling me so.

sooner7nc

They do anyway who sets the speed limit and enforces them for safety reasons. If anything limiting the speed at the factory would cut down on suicides and homicides by morons that can't understand why a speed limits exist in the first place. They are acting like a children when their parents say don't go play out in the street, they go immediently to play in the street. Only to be caught and dragged back in, or worse hurt or killed. At some point you just got to say no more playing outside then, you are danger to yourself and others.

• inkling
    inkling

What about something like say, the sale of dynamite? We all agree that dynamite is useful. However, we also agree that
    something that is SO DANGEROUS when used by untrained hands should only be handled by professionals with the
    proper licensing.

We accept that a certain range of elite professional tools are too dangerous to be sold to the same citizen who is
    allowed to purchase, say, firecrackers. At this point, we have no problem with the government stepping
    in and banning the sale of dynamite to some guy who just walks in off the street.

It can be argued that professional bikers do indeed have reason (legal and private property racing) to drive
    at speeds in excess of 100mph. However, we can also agree that it is extremely dangerous for non professionals
    to do this, and in fact if done on a public road is illegal.

I don't think the answer is to gimp every bike, I think it is that a bike should not be allowed to be registered
    for use on public roads without a limiter

How is the government overstepping its bounds by refusing to sell 100mph+ bikes to people who have no
    legal use for them?

[inkling]

• TD
    TD

More....

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/tulsacrash.asp

Brandon White was dead on the scene

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit