JWs: Biggest Turnover Rate of Members! "Masked churn" rate of 2/3rds!!

by Seeker4 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Panda
    Panda

I'm in Texas too and in this area (south south Texas) people have very limited income and very few have computers or internet access at home. Most mexicans (aka hispanics but no one really calls themself hispanic) in this are are legal and 3rd 4th 5th generation but they are split between Spanish language Catholic and Mexican language Pentecostal. The largest Catholic population here are Polish (their masses are in Polish and English). They've been here since the 19th century (yeah, really!) We've even got a convent full of Polish Catholic nuns (they run John Paul II nursing home and employ many mexican americans). The young crowd of Mexican Americans almost all go to Pentacostal churches. There are dozens of these small (non-denominational) congregations with the proceeds supporting the preacher and his family. They usually have a band too.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

The points that the figures refer to US Witnesses and those born into the Org are well taken. Certainly they would tend to be higher, as noted by the posters.

Besty, nice link and point. Warlock needs to get a grip.

Still, I think these figures are significant, for sure.

S4

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Thank God there is a flip side to the info. we got a week ago that JWs are the fastest growing religion in N. America! That news just devastated me.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I think that most congregations have a core that has been there for years and will be there till they die. Say 1/5th of the hall and the other 4/5ths churn...

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Honestly I think that would be higher than 63%. I can sort of see where warlock is coming from because polling witnesses would be so difficult. Most would lie. Many who said they were "raised a witness" wouldn't be what we would consider witnesses. Were they publishers? Did their parents study and drug them along to a few meetings? Were they hardcore babtised pioneers? Who knows! Who desides what "raised as a witness" means! Also many who were in and are faded or df'ed but not "apostate" would STILL call themselves witnesses if asked! So the poll would be so inaccurate just due to the nature of the Borg!

For example was Micheal Jackson a witness? Did he leave or was he never really 'in'? We know the levels and situations and WE could sit here and debate about it among ourselves! How about some completely uninitiated pollster calling or writing to find this stuff out?

• JAVA
    JAVA

It's great seeing wide-spread news about the JWs that isn't BS. It's been about 20 years since I was active, but when I think back about how many were in when I started, and how many of them were around when I left, I believe the 2/3 rate loss is what I experienced.

Most of the so-called JW growth in the US is from kids being pressured into the sect. A few years later they're disfellowshipped, followed by Mom and Dad not talking to them. As my stats prof used to say, "Facts don't lie, but liars figure." This comes to mind when hearing about the wonderful JW growth.

Thanks for posting all of the links--very interesting!!!

• Warlock
    Warlock

An extensive new survey by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life details the religious affiliation of the American public and explores the shifts taking place in the U.S. religious landscape. Based on interviews with more than 35,000 Americans age 18 and older, the U.S. Religious Landscape Survey finds that religious affiliation in the U.S. is both very diverse and extremely fluid.

More than one-quarter of American adults (28%) have left the faith in which they were raised in favor of another religion - or no religion at all. If change in affiliation from one type of Protestantism to another is included, 44% of adults have either switched religious affiliation, moved from being unaffiliated with any religion to being affiliated with a particular faith, or dropped any connection to a specific religious tradition altogether.

The first two paragraphs refer to the "American public" and "American adults".

A survey was taken of 35,000 Americans, NOT the American public.

So 700 per state accurately represent the American public?

Talk about needing to 'get a grip'.

You must learn to read, and also to listen, very carefully.

As for trying to 'save face', I think you have me confused with someone else.

Warlock

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Warlock, you are right and wrong at the same time.

If you suppose that surveys (and the statistics gathered from them) in any field are done by asking the entire population, I think you'll be surprised.

Basically, yes - that's the general idea, although I shouldn't comment on this particular poll and how it was conducted as I haven't looked into it.

It won't be as perfectly accurate as if you'd asked every single American citizen, but I think you can agree that that would be a rather overwhelming task. So those people who work with these matters have agreed on a general polling sample size/percentage in order to get a fairly accurate picture of what's going on. There is of course a margin of error involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_poll

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_survey

• still_in74
    still_in74

A survey was taken of 35,000 Americans, NOT the American public.

Talk about needing to 'get a grip'.

ok, I am just getting weirded out by this now................

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Some Americans are not part of the American Public???..LOL!!..Are they Private Americans??..Or..Americans that don`t go out in Public?.....................Warlock..That is some funny stuff!..........................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit