JWs: Biggest Turnover Rate of Members! "Masked churn" rate of 2/3rds!!

by Seeker4 78 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Are you kidding? You do realize that this is a survey?

(survey: A gathering of a sample of data or opinions considered to be representative of a whole.)

Yes, it is a sample, but the data it yields can provide a reasonably accurate snapshot of religious affiliation because these kinds of samples are representative of population demographics. They usually have a margin of error of plus or minus a few percentage points.

• steve2
    steve2

The comment made earlier about JWs being one of the fastest growing religions only makes sense when you consider the growth in third world countries. In most Western countries such as New Zealand, Australia and the United States, the active publisher numbers have not increased much at all in the past 10 years.

• Warlock
    Warlock

So they polled ALL who were raised J.W.'s?

Funny, they never contacted my neices, nephews, or my daughter.

Are you kidding? You do realize that this is a survey ?

(survey: A gathering of a sample of data or opinions considered to be representative of a whole.)

No, I'm not kidding.

THINK about it.

Warlock

• Scully
    Scully

I think this is one of the reasons why the WTS is so terrified of the Internet. They have absolutely no control over information anymore. Kids know more about computers than their parents do in many JW households - the parents have no use for them because the WTS tells them they don't. The kids come online and open Pandora's Box... and eventually they want to quit the JWs.

People who are contacted in the Door-To-Door Work™ are more willing to investigate the JWs because they have ready access to the information, and they can actually avoid getting sucked into the JWs.

It's only a matter of time before this cult is on the brink of extinction. The oldtimer JWs will die off, with less and less replacements for them. The young people aren't as willing to Wait On Jehovah™ to deliver on the so-called promises they've been hearing all their lives - the so-called promises that their parents (and maybe grandparents) waited for until they died. They are not going to follow their parents' examples and piss their lives away on something that will never happen in their own lifetime.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

So they polled ALL who were raised J.W.'s? Funny, they never contacted my neices, nephews, or my daughter. Warlock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>REPLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> That's the stupidest thing I've heard all day. Don't make a fool out of yourself.

• sir82
    sir82

Geez, not another one who is completely ignorant of how statistical sampling works!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Warlock, you ought to look into how studies like this are done. They actually used a huge cross section compared to some polls. Polling is actually a science, and the results can be remarkably accurate.

If you use the figure that for every three Witnesses, two leave, then that indicates there could be as many as 12,000,000 inactive and ex-JWs. I would have guessed that there were at least as many ex-JWs as active ones,or around 6,000,000 or so. This poll indicates that I was way underestimating.

S4

• steve2
    steve2

Are you kidding? You do realize that this is a survey?

Bizzy bee, I recommend you go to your local library and seek out an introductory book on how statistical surveys are conducted. Your comments suggest that you may not realise what scientific survey sampling involves - unless you were just joking?

• sir82
    sir82
    If you use the figure that for every three Witnesses, two leave, then that indicates there could be as many as 12,000,000 inactive and ex-JWs. I would have guessed that there were at least as many ex-JWs as active ones,or around 6,000,000 or so. This poll indicates that I was way underestimating.

Unfortunately the poll only covered the US.

I suspect the stats would look much different in other areas of the world. For example, the internet is obviously having a significant effect in the US (which is why it is mentioned in literally every assembly and in every 3rd or 4th Watchtower), but it wouldn't have as much of an effect in, say, Zambia or Haiti.

• besty
    besty

I believe the 37% retention figure relates to those RAISED as JW's, not all JW's.

In other words 63% of those born a JW leave.

In countries with high immigrant conversion rates (the Western world) this is masking the 63% loss, hence 'masked churn'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit