If you could travel anywhere in the world.

by reneeisorym 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Ozziepost =Vietnam?? I prefer to holiday somewhere I don't have to worry about waking up and someone stole my kidney..or bringing back souviners like hepatitis........Australian beaches are the best in the world the weather is great and we speak english.....because of our multi-cultured society we have a huge array of resturants...we have many thousands of tourists visit from Asia, Europe and America...and yes Australians are friendly and easy going. There is so much to do here!

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Spitsbergen (Arctic circle)

it's really impressive.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I prefer to holiday somewhere I don't have to worry about waking up and someone stole my kidney..or bringing back souviners like hepatitis

Racist overtones? Tut, tut.

Rest assured you'll be quite safe, in fact, I've spent many, many trips to Viet Nam and feel safer there than I would at night in Sydney!

• oompa
    oompa
    rennee: I like culture -- I like to see how people live differently than I do.

This is a VERY important tip! Out with sports stuff, but in with nature and people and willing to walk. This almost begs a trip to Europe, as there is nowhere you can see so many countries and cultures in two weeks. The Eurail pass is fantastic, and if you book right, you can sleep on board at night and wake up in a new country every day or two. Rent scooters...more fun than walking and you see more and walk when you want.

However, I never tire cultures and walking and biking or scooters n NYC! God I love it there, and you can see many many cultures, like mini-countries in just a few miles.....same with San Franscico, followed buy Chicago.......good luck and have a blast

PS...plus you can tour Bethel facilities!!!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Country Woman,

How are you? I'm sorry we've been a little quiet lately, Mrs ozzie and I have health problems.

Spitsbergen (Arctic circle)

it's really impressive.

Oh yes! How we'd love to visit that part of the world again! We found it rather expensive with the exchange rate but still a magnificent part of the world. Mrs Ozzie woul like to visit in mid-winter next time! Brave, eh?

Of course the Netherlands have many attractions too!

Cheers, Ozzie

• llbh
    llbh

I like culture -- I like to see how people live differently than I do.

Neither of us are into athletic activities -- Though walking to see things is totally fine. I would just rule out biking and skiing for example.

Edited to add: I also like seeing history as long as we see it quickly (That short attention span again

This is as you say a no brainer London is your city. Lots of culture and history. Plus it has a vibrancy of its own.

I went to an exhibition of French and Russian paintings last week and was entranced

London has these sort of things all the time

Regards

David

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Ozziepost....Im not racist just logical...If you research "Vietnam Travel Warnings" you find that you should NEVER drink water or ice in Vietnam as hygeine is poor also they have many desease's the west doesn't {like bird flu many cases} so you need vaccinations. Tourists are targeted by thieves so it is recommended to check which areas are safe. There are other issues to consider if going to Vietnam.

• Smiles_Smiles
    Smiles_Smiles

Cool! I definitely have not been everywhere but ... my 2 cents...

... most Americans who dont travel out of the states much like a European trip I think. (I'm not a fan of London though) You can hit at least 3 good countries in 2 weeks and feel ok about your safety and English. It wont be their main language but they are use to English. I lived in Hamburg for a bit. And going country to contry can be as easy as traveling state to state here. If that doesn't float your boat because of the Euro exchange rate..

If you want a fantastic exchange rate try Thailand. Phuket is known for it's hospitality and great deals. We are planning on going there next year. Of course you have to be willing to spend all of that time on the Airplane.

My Sweetie has gone to Shanghai and Tokyo on business several times. He doesn't recommend it for a vacation. We dont like crowded pushiness.

We wanted to go to the Maldives this year (the bungalows on stilts in the water w/ glass bottom floors) but decided on Bora Bora instead because we can get the same bungalows without spending as much time on a plane. It is expensive but WOW!

I hear good things about New Zealand. And eventually we want to do South Africa. Upon research South Africa was surprizingly less expensive then I thought it would be.

Hawaii is also awesome (Kauia less tourist-E ~ Maui medium tourists)

PS ~ if you are on myspace I have pics of the places I have been in the last couple of years. www.myspace.com/smiles_mr_smiles

Enjoy the process of exploring the possibilities ...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Jamaica and Caimen Islands counts big time. You have been somewhere.

Anyway, Hawaii is gorgeous. Alaska in the Summer is a real treat. Honolulu would
    probably be cheaper than Alaska. Mauai has great nightlife and watersports. China or
    Japan would be quite an adventure. Europe would be wonderful, too. Don't worry
    about exchange rates when considering a vacation. Worry about costs, but don't
    let them be number one. It seems that everything is expensive and you spend more
    than intended. The Caribbean and Mexico are cheaper than most other trips.

For English speakers who have not travelled extensively, I have some options.
    Australia and New Zealand are great. A travel agent could get you a nice package.
    Ireland or Britain would be more economical from the states, and no real language barrier.
    You could also consider a European cruise. You would see different places that
    speak diff. languages, but always go back to the ship where they speak English
    and pamper you. You would know what kind of meals you were getting on a cruise,
    instead of all the local fare. A cruise to the far Pacific would be great, too, but more
    costly on airfare to get there and back.

It depends on what you want. If you love beaches, how can we recommend Alaska?
    If you love skiing, how could we recommend a cruise. Time is a factor, also. If you
    have two weeks, it's plenty in one place or on a cruise, but long flights eat up time
    for anything less. I have been on 13 hour flights before. Some people hate them.

Get your passport in order now before you finalize plans. Maybe you can find a
    decent local travel agent and share your favorite stuff with them. Although I book
    most of my stuff on the internet (bargain shopping) travel agents do not cost you
    anything and they usually save you money- plus they are your agent if anything
    goes awry.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The husband likes nature.

I like culture -- I like to see how people live differently than I do.

Neither of us are into athletic activities -- Though walking to see things is totally fine. I would just rule out biking and skiing for example.

I missed this before. Nature and culture: Alaska, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand.
    Walking to see things: A cruise or a prearranged land tour from a hotel. Most prearranged
    tours really miss out on nature. A cruise would let you choose excursions that include
    both nature and culture- best bets for a cruise of that sort would be Alaska or Europe.

Moneywise, go to Ireland and England. You will get plenty of walking choices or catch
    a cab if you are tired. You can choose nature or culture, or a bit of both. Try to stay in
    London for the culture, then out away from things for the nature. You could also visit
    Paris for culture and romance if that were in your budget. You will find that most places
    have people that speak English.

Adventurewise, try Australia. I will let the Ozzies sell you on that trip.
    Hawaii is so American that you won't get much of a culture lesson but you can learn history
    there- Pearl Harbor and King Kamaha maha.

Places like China or Japan might be culture shock for novice travellers, but really awesome
    adventure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit