If you could travel anywhere in the world.

by reneeisorym 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Russia

Go to Moscow first. Walkon the Red Square and go inside the St Basil's Cathedral (you will be amazed at how small it is on the inside).

Then visit the Kremlin and ofcourse Lenin's Tombe.

Take the train to Sergiev Posad, the most holy place in Russia. Lots of fascinating historical things have happened here, e.g. In this place Tsar Peter the Great took refuge when his army rebelled against him.

After this, go to St Petersburg. This is a whole other world. Moscow is ancient and a culture shock, whereas St. Petersburg is more European. Walk along the Nevsky Prospect, the main street with beautiful shops, hotels, dining places and still have views of historical buildings.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Egypt!

Recommend in any time. The culture is fantastic, lots to see and do in Luxor with regards to the valley of the kings, Karnak Temple, etc.

Then move on to Sharm el sheik, on the Red Sea. Your husband will love the coral reefs, where you can snorkel or dive.

Recommend B&B as eating out is cheap, a full three course meal and drinks comes to less than £10 sterling.

People are extremely friendly, although many are put off by the scare stories, i felt extremely safe when i went.

Paul

• Roski
    Roski

Vietnam - I find it to be a great place but it depends very much on what sort of 'traveller' you are. Food is very good and cheap, as is accomodation etc., but the best planned holiday can go wrong very easily. As with other Asian countries, 'yes' doesn't always mean 'yes' , and you can be left with a product/service that is far from what you thought you may be getting. Air travel between cities is fine but bus/train can be daunting if you don't like rough roads or you worry about cleanliness. Some people also find the constant requests from street vendors a bit off-putting at times. Tourism found its way to VN in a bit of a hurry and everyone connected with it is not necessarily all that professional. I think tourism is (to a degree) looked at more as an opportunity to make money than as an industry. Laos is like VN was some time ago - little less rushed - if you like out of the way places. Australian beaches are better. It's an interesting place with an interesting history and well worth a visit - if it's your type of thing. Good shopping.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Hi Renee

Come to South Africa... You have the best of all mixtures... Ocean, Mountains, Bush, Animals, Culture. And most speak English

Cape Town is truly one of my favourite cities, but Joburg is cool too!

Also the exchange rate is really good if you coming from the USA!!!

Love

Daisy Boo

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I like culture -- I like to see how people live differently than I do.

Then renee, you need to come to Africa - we have an absolutely wonderful country to tour. You can go shark diving, game viewing (real lions and cheatah), horse back riding, zulu dancing, mountain climbing, scuba diving - you name it we have it.

I live in what is known as South Africas' playground - Durban - it's on the East coast of South Africa - awesome place.

Exchange rate is so in your favour - at the moment for every dollah you get nearly 8 of our rands. Btw I work for a fantastic magazine called - South African Country Life - If you'd like a copy send me a PM and I'll send you one - so you can have a squiz.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

oh a personal level - there are SO many places I want to go to.

Russia - is on my list - the culture there - fabulous. Let's not forget the vodka

Egypt - I just have to go - the land calls to my soul.

Israel - so diverse, so complicated

Antartica - would be mind blowing.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I just met someone from Johanesburg Saturday. His accent was just lovely. He has me wanting to go there too.

But I will first go to London. Then you can pick any other European country to visit. They are easy to get to from London.

momz

PS I know I killed the spelling, sorry!

• Raphael
    Raphael

I spent a number of years living in South Africa and it is a stunningly beautiful country , despite it's many socio-economic and politcal problems. I had to do my community service in Durban as I was still an active JW at the time and with compulsory millitary conscription the only alternative to prison was community service . I spent 4 years working as a youth counsellor - loved travelling all over Kwa-Zulu Natal into remote countryside meeting amazing young people and visiting some beautiful places - fond memories and would give it a thumbs up for any adventurous travellers.

Living in Europe now and one of my favourite places is the south coast of France, Nice is an excellent base with easy access to Monaco and the beautiful towns of Antibe and Cannes, and if visiting London first only a 2 hour flight away.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Different cultures do not scare me as long as it isn't crowded. I don't like "croweded pushiness" either.

I think Europe, Australia/New Zealand, or South Africa sounds the best.

I haven't ever been attracted to Australia -- I'd love for some of you Australians to sell me on it! My husband is dieing to go and I can't figure out what for (sorry!...I just don't know much about it other than dessert and kangaroos!) The idea of going somewhere with snow when I just left a 95 degree summer is really interesting to me! How is the weather in the winter there? I would love to see snow -- does that mean I have to go to New Zealand or do you have snow in Australia too? What time of the year would be the best to avoid crowds and see some snow? Do the animals hide in the winter? My husband would like to see nature for sure if we go there.

Europe sounds nice but I have no idea which countries. Athens, Rome, Paris, Berlin, and London all sound fun... Adding a former soviet country to the mix sounds enticing as well.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I'd like to go around the UK some day... but I just as soon hit all the jackpot ropings in the Southwest for 90 days next year.

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit