Mr. Flipper Talks with Bethel Legal Service Desk Rep About JW Child Abuse

by flipper 103 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Murray Smith
    Murray Smith

Thanks for the bump flipper . . . haven't seen this one before. Put me alongside the most disgusted poster here.

The last post by XPETERX, on searching criminal records reminds me of an incident down here in Auckland NZ.

We had a case where a fringing bible student with JW family (I think his wife was JW) was finally nabbed for rape. Turned out he was guilty of multiple rapes in the city (around 30) over seven or so years. By far the most notorious rape crime in this country . . . ever. And this guy for years attended meetings etc., as well as JW social gatherings. And oh yeah, he had already done time for sexual assault. His family kept that quiet.

Makes me shudder.

Luvonyall - MS

• flipper
    flipper

MURRAY SMITH- You make a good point about how dangerous these child molesters are. Just one pedophile may have raped 30 children like you stated. I've heard of some who have molested more than one hundred children. So it's an extremely urgent matter which needs to be made a mandated rule in Jehovah's Witnesses to have elders inform parents with children if a known registered sex offender or pedophile moves into the congregations. Otherwise how would the WT society avoid liability if they KNOW a pedophile mves into a congregation - but the elders are told NOT to inform parents ? It has liability and lawsuit written all over it if a child gets raped. the WT society's policies are STILL lacking much in spite of their claimed " progress "

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

iThank you for being appropriately forceful yet respectful of the position. I'd start screeching at them. As a lawyer, I have a lot of questions about their legal advice. So much seems against my gut and I did defense work. Their legal stance vs. acknowledged best practices of defense lawyers would make an interesting scholarly article.

I must admit that I am not well informed about these cases. It tugs at my heart so much I find it hard to cope so I skim the articles. I've been out for decades. The reverence for arbitrary authority, like that in the Roman Catholic Church, must lead to astoninishing pedophile rates. I was raised that children were vermin. The Society and its agents are always right. My saving grace was that my mom's family was very well placed so, unlike the vast majority of JWs, i Knew all the Bethel scandals. Whenever we were taught some Witness doctrine, my mother would qualify it. I wanted us to be in or out. Today I am grateful for her action. My personal crisis occurred when I felt I was blaspheming against the Holy Spirit when I realized functionally illiterate brothers could not read on a 5th grade level. I was certain Jehovah would strike me dead.

Can someone tell me if these were class action suits? I don't understand why the victim's lawyers did not insist on a Watchtower public apology and letter in the Watchtower admitting their lack of action, actively harboring pedophiles, and actions to prevent future abuse. It is not the pedophilic act itself that is so odious. Misfits will always exist. It is "responsible" authority not protecting children and actively moving to protect abusers. Such a statement is a key component of the Roman Catholic settlements. Last night I watched a PBS Frontline that revealed shocking conditions in Alaska. The bishop was not overly sappy but as part of the settlement, he travelled to the remote villages and made individual apologies. The victims, now much older, were in tears. The Watchtower present policy shows they are not serious. Your conversation shows how dense they are.

How can anyone not support pedophile victims? The Society needs new lawyers. I understand their not admitting a crime. As lawyers, they should worry about the larger picture with their client. In many ways, the past is the past. What are they doing to protect the Society from future allegations? Not much.

I confess to being agitated now. My father was extremely abusive. The former Bethelite ruled us with a very violent and emotionally scarring iron fist and kicked me all over the place. The entire congregation witnessed his abuse. No one said anything. Shortly before he died, he trapped in the bathroom and said I was so bad I was killing him. Therefore, I would watch him die as my due punishment. He had heart disease. His body was lodged against the door. I never screeched so hard in my entire life. My female body could not move his bodyguard frame. Finally, a solitary neighbor called 911. When he heard the ambulance, he popped a nitro pill and ran down the stairs at break neck speed. The siren sounded so magnificent. Imagine if he died. When the social welfare agency heard this latest tale, a rape monitoring system was put in place. Indeed, if I were raped, he would have killed me.

My memories are full of utter terror. My father could have a disturbed criminal without the JWs in his life. They helped him so much in countless ways. Maybe it is not their intent. But is the result of their practices. Authority can be respectfully confronted and questioned. No one is condoning anarchy. I truly respect the ability to stay calm when dealing with them. My recourse was to order a gun at school. I went from totally deferential to place your hand on me one more time and you will never breathe again. My life and the lives of those victims here should have been full of loving parents, planning picnics, enjoying great music, dancing to music, reading literary classic and trashy romance novels. Life can be wonderful in the midst of pain.My memories are exquisitely painful. The difference now is the members here are a community. Many times I think I must be flawed with the bad memories. When i come here, my experiences are validated.

• flipper
    flipper

BAND ON THE RUN- Sorry in the delay on my response here. Didn't realize this thread had been bumped up 22 days ago again. You asked about why the WT society didn't apologize publicly to these victims. This was not a class action suit I don't believe but an out of court settlement that required a gag order to be observed by the JW victims where they could not talk about it publicly. As regards the Wt society themselves they put out a statement on their website saying they were glad the victims got settlements and basically stated that the WT society abhors child abuse to cover their media a$$ to the public. They claimed that only " 11 elders had committed child abuse in over a hundred years in the organization " - so I guess they looked at this as some sort of success rate ! Ridiculous. Even ONE elder offending is too many.

I'm so sorry you were raised by an abusive father. The WT society and JW cult fosters patriarchal attitudes towards women and children which fan the flames of abusive situations occuring. The men in the organization have a " don't question my authority " outlook on life and this permeates into many JW lives and homes. It's awful. WT society is mainly concerned about the outward appearance to the media and their own members - so they bury child abuse and don't want it openly discussed OR acknowledged that it's happening all over inside the organization.

I do hope your life is going smoother now and you have gained some happiness my friend. Take care. Hang in there

• flipper
    flipper

After reading Newly Enlightened's youtube experience and hearing how WT reps lied to her- thought I'd bump this up from several years ago when WT reps lied to me about child abuse. No youtube, but a written version of my conversation with the WT rep lying about WT stand on child abuse. Lies are part of the WT Society organization protection plan, you know - kind of like corporate insurance. Responses welcome

• flipper
    flipper

For newer members or lurking JW's - here is a thread in which about 6 years ago or so I had a conversation with a WT Society rep at Bethel on the telephone asking him about the WT Society's child abuse policy. Considering the CNN program is being aired tomorrow- I thought some of you lurking JW's or others might be interested in reading this conversation had. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Excellent thread. Thanks for your efforts Flipper.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Thanks for bringing this back, Flipper. Many new ones or lurkers are still not aware of the extent of the child abuse coverup by jws. This story cannot be repeated enough!

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Thank you Flipper for standing up for the innocents against the WT/JW.org.

LL

• flipper
    flipper

NEWYORK 44M- Thanks, I feel lots of people speaking out CAN and WILL make a difference regarding JW child abuse awareness with non-Witnesses and Witnesses.

CULTBGONE- With the CNN child abuse in JW show comig on Sunday night- I thought it was a good time to bump this up for sure.

LOIS LANE LOOKING for SUPERMAN- Thanks. I feel we all have a responsibility to stand up for abused people of the WT Society and JW cult

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit