Mr. Flipper Talks with Bethel Legal Service Desk Rep About JW Child Abuse

by flipper 103 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• flipper
    flipper

Well - I had been wanting to do this for a long time , to question a legal department representative at Bethel about the child abuse settlements and JW child abuse, since last year when the news came out about it. Especially since my dad , an elder for years was never aware of it and has on his own taken steps to see that families with children are informed if a former pedophile is in their congregation. I was curious as to what the current views and policies in place are . Plus I had questions I wanted answers to. You know, inquiring minds want to know !

So on the phone to Bethel I was transferred to the legal desk or department. I acted as an interested relative whose dad was an elder. I talked with a representative who had been in the organization 40 years - ( he made sure to let me know ) . Immediately I cut to the chase , I asked , " My dad, an elder in your church was never informed of the Watchtower child abuse settlements , as the rest of your people weren't - may I ask what the reason was they were not informed ? He heard about it like everyone else, the NBC news report. " The rep said, " Well, we here at Bethel didn't know it was going to be broadcast till the day before ! We at Bethel weren't too upset about it because the media slanted it " bigger than it was " and we figured there was no reason to inform congregations as they'd see the news reports and we felt the elders didn't need to hear about it. "

I said, " Well, I feel felony child abuse going on in your church is a pretty important thing to inform at least your elders about ! Your website says your organization, " hates and deplores child abuse ", but from what I saw in the news reports with the victims being silenced , it does not seem to me that the Watchtower was too concerned about the victims , but more on saving their reputation in the eyes of the public with an out of court settlement , which they did not inform members of ! " I continued , " I talked with another elder who said the elders had been informed to " not discourage " congregation members from going to the police if they knew of child abuse happening. " So I asked the rep, " What is the societies official policy on elders reporting it ? " The rep said, " When we get reports of child abuse we tell elders to immediately report it to our legal department so we can advise them if they are in a reporting state , or non- reporting state as required by law. Then we get details as to where the pedophile lives, what congregation they are in , and any other pertinent information. "

I said , " Shouldn't you report it to the police first ? What happens if the child gets molested again in your lag time between the elders communicating with your legal department ? " He said, " Well, in legally required states we'd report it , but even still, some families don't want to go to the police with the child abuse allegations out of embarrassment . " I stood my ground, continuing" But still , there is a crime being committed here and your elders have a moral obligation to protect these children they are supposed to look after as shepherds " . Then he stated, " Well, the reason some states don't have mandatory reporting laws is because those states don't have as many cases of child abuse. " Typical JW evasion of the issues at hand. He continued, " We get calls all the time from someone who was molested 30 years ago by a grandfather in some remote congregation , and the grandfather would just as soon not talk about it ". This statement floored me ! I told him, " Well, pedophiles use fear to intimidate their victims ! Sometimes victims won't come forward because their lives were threatened or told they would be physically harmed . That is why many stay silent ! Fear of reprisal ! " He sheepishly agreed .

Then he started bragging about the witnesses track record in dealing with child abuse - compared to other religions ! He stated, " Most churches don't do half the things we do to prevent child abuse ! We disfellowship child abusers and some are sent to jail ! " I told him, " I disagree, the Catholics at least openly apologized to the victims last summer publicly after settling the $ 600,000,000 lawsuits with them. At least they acknowledged their liability. I have seen no such remorse from the Watchtower society. Your religion tried to hide it by settling out of court ! " He said, " There was no hint the victims felt compelled to settle ! They were not victimized again ! " I said, " Well, they probably didn't have the financial means to continue going at it in the courts like you did with your Watchtower attorneys ! And, what child abuse victims want to keep bringing the acts up over and over again for years in court ? I'd want to settle too, just to get it done with ! "

So, I left him with the statement, " I feel the Watchtower society has NOT informed your elders or your people enough information about these child abuse cases. You keep them under " information control". I would have a really hard time trusting your organization because you keep too many facts secret that elders and others need to know. I'll talk with my dad and let him know what you told me today . " He told me I could write a letter to the society , but I said, " Thanks . I think you've let me know enough ! " So, I invite your thoughts and comments here. Always look forward to your input ! Same story , different day , they are concerned about appearance, not the victims of child abuse. Sorry this was long, but thanks for reading ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• dinah
    dinah

You go, boy! I'll bet they dread calls like that. You did well.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I can't get over the "sure, we report when required by law". Any excuse to not report is a cop out. The victim doens't want to move forward? Fine, their choice - but a paper trail has been started for other victims, and for when the reluctant victim finally gets off their arse to do the right thing.

And the way they report even when they do - anonymous from an anonymous number! Authorities can't even make a report based on that.

Weasels and hypocrites.

• cognac
    cognac
    When we get reports of child abuse we tell elders to immediately report it to our legal department

- Your response to that was great...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I agree, by falling back on "what's required by the individual states requirements" they basically are using Ceaser's law to define moral issues. Not the Bible

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Geeze, does this guy think about what he says first? This floored me too Mr Flipper

We get calls all the time from someone who was molested 30 years ago by a grandfather in some remote congregation , and the grandfather would just as soon not talk about it ". This statement floored me ! I told him, " Well, pedophiles use fear to intimidate their victims ! Sometimes victims won't come forward because their lives were threatened or told they would be physically harmed . That is why many stay silent ! Fear of reprisal ! " He sheepishly agreed .

There they go, protecting th molester again! Oh boo hoo hoo, the grandfather doesn't want to talk about it, ok, let's not make him talk about it, the victim doesn't need any justice! Gggrrrrrrr makes me soooo mad! And that first sentance "We get calls all the time"???? If they get calls all the time, and they are saying there is not a problem in the WT, something isn't adding up here!

When we get reports of child abuse we tell elders to immediately report it to our legal department so we can advise them if they are in a reporting state , or non- reporting state as required by law. Then we get details as to where the pedophile lives, what congregation they are in , and any other pertinent information. "

Should it really matter if the state requires it to be reported? A crime has been committed against a child, no if ands or buts!

and we figured there was no reason to inform congregations as they'd see the news reports and we felt the elders didn't need to hear about it. "

So, no need to inform the congregations or elders eh? So these poor elders are left to deal with the fallout all on their own with no advance warning, nice, really nice. Leave them high and dry. You guys run a real class act at the Bethel!

BB

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Yes, the fact they only advise it to be reported in states where they absolutely must, tells me that they do not agree with that law or direction.

Otherwise they would advise that it be reported regardless of what state you happen to live in.

This group continues to baffle me. I am trying to decide whether it is simply ineptitude or if they are actually evil.

The Oracle

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Gosh, isn't the spiritual paradise beautiful. Just look really, really far away, but don't look down and notice that you're standing in a steaming pile of crap.

Nice exposure of 'da troof' Flipper !

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Thanks for doing the dirty work. We've got to make another call and have it recorded.

• avishai
    avishai

>>>>Then he started bragging about the witnesses track record in dealing with child abuse - compared to other religions ! He stated, " Most churches don't do half the things we do to prevent child abuse ! We disfellowship child abusers and some are sent to jail !<<<<

This is horseshit. They only df them if they deem them "non-repentant", or the media gets ahold of it. They usually only end up in jail IN SPITE of the society's efforts to cover it up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit