what have jws got against beards ?

by looloo 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nellie
    Nellie

Terry said it all!

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

This is actually one of my main reasons for fading away from that bunch. I grow my beard now and have done so off and on since the early 1990s. One of the elders approached me once and suggested that I trim my moustache more along the lines of how elder so-and-so had his trimmed. I asked him why and he said that I should feel lucky to be able to grow one at all. That only Hispanic and Arabic brothers at beth-HELL are allowed moustaches at all. That set me on my research.

I was looking into the facial hair issue and to this day I hear jw's say that "facial hair is WORLDLY HAIR".... I found scriptures that they use to back up their argument against homosexuals. Not far away there are commands to never cut the sidelocks of the head or the beard. So not only are they hypocritical about beards, but about long hair for men too. I know it says it should not be long like a woman's but my length is not flowing and feminine. especially with my beard.

Anyway, now I am growing out my hair again to about shoulder length and I cur my full beard to what the locals here call a PADLOCK (the wt always shows criminals with your style of beard they say).....I say FU** 'EM!

Oh, and to answer your question, I think Rutherford hated beards because they reminded him that he was once little boy to Russell's man.....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    That only Hispanic and Arabic brothers at beth-HELL are allowed moustaches at all.

I moved into a congregation in a temporary situation. I told them I would be there
    up to 6 months. I was an elder and they said they would "use" me as an elder,
    but the PO was telling me this and he says, "There's only one problem. Our
    congregation doesn't allow mustaches."

I looked around at the other elders and none of them had a mustache. I answered,
    "Perhaps I don't want to be an elder here." I actually felt creepy about what he said.

He busted out laughing. "Just kidding you. I had you going there."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I challenge them to find even one scripture that proved that Jesus did not have a beard, from the King James version or one of the newer updates therein (and not from the New World Translation). It will have to be in context (no snippets taken in a disjointed fashion that would not mean anything).

If I remember right, the Israelites all had those robes and beards. Not once would Jesus be pictured wearing a business suit and tie, carrying a service bag, with no facial hair and his head hair cut short. (That was one they used to use a lot--could you picture Jesus doing...?). And the Nazarites all had to let their hair grow long--they were forbidden from getting a haircut. They were used in special assignment. Why would having a beard or neat long hair on a guy bring shame and reproach on God's name now, when certain people were required to wear those articles as Nazarites? (Not that I give a fxxx about bringing shame and reproach on God's name--I just do it anyways.)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

WT Wizard , they do depict Jesus and the twelve with beards, have done for decades.

Somebody said that bearded men look sexy, Perhaps that is the real reason?

This whole thing is an exercise in control. I do not know how strictly it is enforced these days, I do not see any beard among the local elders but fashions change and I do not know if any body would want one..

In the older days. 1980's say, it was big issue with some M/S coming off the position in protest . Then things eased a little with some conciliatory counsel from the top..Some congo's would allow, some would not. If a public speaker from another cong. had a beard he was turned away and not allowed to speak

Just like any thing with fashion and dress , they want everyone to look similar, they cannot abide individualism

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

In Utah there was an elder who had an allergy to the sun, so he wore a beard. Every time he went out of town to give a talk they would explain to the congregation why he would have a beard, so nobody was offended.

There was a sister who had a band aid on her chin and my dad jokingly asked if she had cut herself shaving. She said yes.

In my last hall here in Tn, they gave a talk about it. They said that for men the first sign of rebellion was the growing of facial hair.

momz

• minimus
    minimus

Hillary Clinton could never be a Jehovah's Witness in "good standing" because she wears pants.

And yes, I agree regarding Russell. They didn't want ANY connection to CTR and his beard was a trademark. Plus Rutherford would never do well with a beard because eventually the alcohol would discolor it and he'd look ridiculous.

• MOG
    MOG

Im going for the JESUS look right now...

I just talked today with my sister a little on this and she said its made up, not really biblically supported and she is a JW and her husband is an elder..

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

He busted out laughing. "Just kidding you. I had you going there."

That is even creepier.....Did you find out if he was really kidding?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

From a circuit overseer's talk:

Do you remember in the 1960s when the Question From Readers asked, "Did Jesus have a beard?" (audience laughter) Remember that one? Boy, did we ever get flak in congregations on that one! One little question from the reader, "Did Jesus have a beard," and it said, "Yes". Then all of our publications that showed Jesus without a beard; he was a clean-shaven man. Then it went on to say that the fragmentary evidence that we had at our disposal that would seem to indicate that Jesus was clean-shaven was "faulty evidence". Its belief in origin was not even a depiction of Jesus Christ at all. That Jesus was a Jew and Hebrew men had beards neatly trimmed, and therefore hereonafter our publications will show Jesus with a beard. Did you know that back in Brother Russell’s day Jesus had a beard? (audience laughter) And then in Brother Rutherford’s day Jesus’ beard came off, and then in the 1960s we put his beard back on? (audience laughter) Huh, how does that make you feel? What sort of organization is this?! Well, I used to tell the brothers, "Look, whether Jesus had a beard or didn’t have a beard, is he the Son of God?" "Yes." "Did he provide a ransom, does his shed blood redeem us from sin and death?" "Yes." "Is he the king of the new order?" "Yes." "Then whether he has a beard or not, does that alter the truth of the Bible?" Not a bit. Bottom line is we go berserk, we run amuck. And are we going to stay in the truth, that’s the question! Will we make the adjustments?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/127834/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit