what have jws got against beards ?

by looloo 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• looloo
    looloo

and it really used to annoy me that jesus and john the baptist both had such neat and well trimmed beards in the watchtower literature , how unlikley would that be in reality ? also they never wore a suit so why do "true christians "have to wear one , is all about appearences by any chance and giving a false impression ?

• sacolton
    sacolton

Beards make the men look rebellious.

I'm growing one now.

• looloo
    looloo

is that really true ? was jesus and john the baptist rebellious ?

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

You're right. Out of all their weird little rules, this one is the one that really, and I mean really, doesn't matter. Their stuck on beards being bad, like Harley's stuck on making shaky old V-twins. What asses.

I think they can't change for fear of losing their identity, but the only ones that really know about it are them. I recently told a friend who is a member of Christian church in Wichita Falls, Texas, about this rule. He, and his pastor, a graduate of a seminary in Dallas, weren't aware of this rule. How pathetic.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Yeah, the WTBTS wants all men to be clean shaven because their appearances would be more favorable in public.
    There's absolutely NO SCRIPTURE to enforce this and they tend to look away if a Brother attempts to challenge
    this rule, but that Brother would get a "talk" in the back room to "straighten him out".

I agree. Jesus had a beard and aren't we supposed to imitate Him? Oh, only in personality, of course. I once
    worked with a Brother who had a handlebar mustache and he never shaved it. Mustaches are "grey area" though.

Peace!

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Wearing a beard is not uniform behaviour. If you did not notice whilst a JW..the org KNOWS the uniformity breeds unity. For a man to choose not to shave represents his thinking for himself... and that is counter to the WT agenda.

~Hill

• watson
    watson

Unless you look like 1950s corporate IBM employees, you might bring reproach on Jah.

• siy
    siy

its not so much that they dont want brothers to have beards, its the fear that some sisters might take it up!!

lets face it we have all seen a bit of face fuzz on the ODD sister.... ( any one got a Bic)

• Smoky
    Smoky

I have been growing my beard out for 5 months now....and i get a lot of heat from my family and jw friends for it.

They always ask why?, and i ask them, Why Not? but can never really give me a reason.

I tell them: "its just HAIR".

smoky

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I think it is because they didn't want the Men to look like a Beatnik or Hippie. I think that it was sometime during the late 50's/early 60's. Is that also around the time when they started to draw Jesus without a beard?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit