what have jws got against beards ?

by looloo 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I was once hauled to the back room because my brown belt didn't match my black shoes! I said "I don't know much about fashon, but I've never heard of that rule". The elder said - "well it's a well known rule - are you going to wear a belt that matches your shoes next time?". I laughed and walked out.

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

I started growing facial hair the moment I stopped attending. Now I have a big, full beard, and its truly lovely for midwestern winters, and the sub-zero days. Plus my girlfriend LOVES the "manly" look, I love no shaving, just a trim once a week or so.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

The watchtower May 1/68 pg 288 gives the discussion on this, Although I think there might be a later one in the early 80's. I recall a talk about this at a

circuit assembly and the next day a lot of brothers had shaved their mustaches off back at there hotel rooms the previous night.

I'm not having much success attaching the scan I did.

Hope4Others

• Cold Creek Swimmer
    Cold Creek Swimmer

It's a stupid man-made rule. My mom started to tell me that my son looked like a girl from the back because of his long hair. I told her that Jesus must have looked like a girl too. She never said another word.

CCS

• loosie
    loosie

sacolton the beard is ok but can you do something about those eyebrows of yours? lol JJ

I'm a sucker for a goatee. My hubby wore one for awhile. I loved it. he stopped wearing one because he works at a food processign plant and he didn't want to have to wear a hairnet on his chin.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I think it's just another way to keep the girls from lusting after the men...

A neat, trim beard or just the right amount of stubble is incredibly sexy!!!

• babygirl75
    babygirl75
    I'm a sucker for a goatee

ME TOO!!!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Chucky Russel had one and they tried to distance themselves from it

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Nobody really answered this way:

It is stated (as a theory as far as I am concerned, but sounds true) that
    Joseph Rutherford decided that the beard was OUT, based highly on the
    fact that C.T. Russell had a beard. A bunch of "rebellious look" garbage
    was created to support his desire.

WTS grooming rules are stuck in the 40's or so. Women should not wear
    pants, skirts should not rise above the knee, etc. They are very uptight
    about dress and grooming.

• Terry
    Terry

Control.

Cults=Control.

Leverage on small issues.

Command/Obey.

Simply ask innocently, "Oh, I didn't know that was in the bible! Where did Jesus say that?"

Aren't we supposed to imitate Jesus?

To non Witnesses the behavior of JW's is extreme and cult-like on issues like flag salute, holiday avoidance, birthdays, voting, blood, and military service. How could wearing a mustache make it any worse in the eyes of the householder??

Answer: it doesn't.

It isn't about right or wrong.

It is only about non-thinking compliance.

It is only about enforced behavior.

There are no INDIVIDUALS allowed inside a Kingdom Hall. Why?

Individuals are unique in thinking for themselves.

If you look different than everybody else; you might actually be an individual!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit