what have jws got against beards ?

by looloo 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• JAVA
    JAVA
    It is stated (as a theory as far as I am concerned, but sounds true) that
    Joseph Rutherford decided that the beard was OUT, based highly on the
    fact that C.T. Russell had a beard.

OTWO's above comments sums it up fairly well. Russell had a full beard, and many Bible Students wore one, too. After Russell died, Rutherford forced his way into the number one spot, and he let it be known he didn't like beards. I guess anyone looking like Russell made Rutherford feel uncomfortable, and for good reason. Rutherford was not the person Russell picked for the job. I think Russell knew Rutherford was a snake-in-the-grass that was needed as a lawyer, but nothing more.

I'm sure Rutherford knew this but he used legal means to become the second president of the Bible Students. Seeing others that reminded him of Russell became a demon Rutherford didn't like. That was the start of the No Beard Policy, and it's continued from that long-forgotten demon which bugged Rutherford from the very start.

I can't help wondering if Rutherford wasn't able to grow a full beard. That might have played a part in this, too.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I think we should all imitate Jesus by growing beards, putting on our bathrobes, and going to the memorialâ„¢ for some wine and crackers this year.

W

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I think the point is why did they make an attempt to instill this doctrinal law in the first place ?

What was the behind the motivating factor ?

My apparent guess was this was introduced as a dress guideline for the door to door preaching work, very much in the way a typical salesman

generally has dress codes to follow in a company, publishers in the WTS eyes are their manipulated controlled salespeople.

Outward presentation to the general public is very important to the WTS as they are marketing their literature to the public. The orchestrated illusion of this organization being God's solemn

earthly kingdom is constantly being promoted and marketed as such.

So just as the publishers are being controlled on what to say at the door, they are also being controlled on dress and appearance.

Is it spiritually based no not at all, in a matter of fact you would think that since God created man to have beards you'd think they would instill a doctrine that stipulates

that men should not cut off their beards as to not dishonor God out of respect.

The WTS is a man made publishing company whether you disagree or not, follow the guidelines or you'll be fired.

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It

I've heard from my dad that there are a few more elders at the training sessions who have facial hair. his BOE doesn't disparage based on facial hair but the are probably a LOT more that do. in any case this was a big turn off to me. I guess in a way it did symbolize rebellion for me. but it also got me thinking about many of the other contradictions as well. too much free thinking will be the death of them. not anytime soon I think but eventually.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

A funny thought just passed my mind , when I was a young teenager in the 70's I was called to the back of the hall by a couple of elders who wanted to discuss my hair length,

I grew my hair about an inch over my ears and I was told that unless I got a hair cut I was not going to be allowed to give any more talks or go out in service.

They said it was conduct unbecoming of a Christian, I sorted agreed and proceeded to go home, on my way back It had accrued to me that during the WT study that morning

there was a picture of Jesus sitting on a rock preaching with a full beard and shoulder length hair, it was things like this that started my doubts about everything.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    The Watch Tower predicted and raised expectations about the end of the world and the appearance of the princes in 1925. In place of the princes, however, appeared Judge Rutherford in Magdeburg, Germany. With American dollars in hand from contributions for books, he bought land, buildings and machines. The director of the German branch asked Rutherford for another rotary press. The Judge replied, "I will buy you the press if you take that thing off," pointing to the director's beard. Anything reminiscent of Charles Russell had to go! The director shaved his beard, saying that he preferred the rotary press to his beard so as to advance kingdom interests.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/136750/3.ashx

• jacethespace
  • jacethespace
  • Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

momzcrazy wrote:

In Utah there was an elder who had an allergy to the sun, so he wore a beard. Every time he went out of town to give a talk they would explain to the congregation why he would have a beard, so nobody was offended.

Heh heh. I totally remember that guy!! He gave a Sunday talk at our hall. I was utterly & completely stumbled.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

jace...Could you delete the first link? It throws the page's margins completely out of whack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit