What was it that "clicked" w/ you that this wasn't the "true religion"?

by cognac 47 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Finding out that if you're not one of the 144,000 then Jesus is not your mediator - WTH?

This lead to further research which revealed that the WTBTS had changed the bible to back up their 'unique' doctrine.

Other issues than then put the nail in the coffin: illogical stance on blood, child abuse settlements, 607 blatantly not the date for the fall of Jerusalem, the UN fiasco.

Then finally when I mentioned 'things' to friends and they decided to abandon me in a heart beat without reasoning on the issues, I knew that this was not the truth because truth stands up to examination.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

When I was in bethel one of my married bethelite friends was appointed an elder, apparently under direction of holy spirit. It turned out he had been having an affair for 7 years, and had even had sex with the woman in bethel. It was then that I realised that holy spirit does not direct the organization. I reasoned for a few more years that at least JWs have the most accurate understanding of the Bible, but eventually the doubts led me to research other points of view and realise that there are many religions that are equally sincere and Scripturally supported in their points of view.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

It wasn't a particular thing - I used to be a full on strong dubby girl that did her personal study, did research, answered, gave talks, did mostly 10+ hours. I just woke up one morning and asked myself ""is this it???"" ""is this really the so called truth, because then there are billions that are going to die"" ........ and that was it - I started digging and digging

• JK666
    JK666

Finding out about the Watchtower's ten year association with the United Nations.

JK

• MMae
    MMae

I remember the first assembly where the baptism was done in the name of the Father, the Son, and (how the H do they word that?) in the name of God's Spirit-driven organization??!

It didn't cinch it for me, but it was a REALLY big flag. I remember thinking how glad I was that I had been baptised prior to this change, because I didn't think I could have answered "Yes!" to that!

It was just wrong.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

The utter lack of love that mimicked what Jesus said.

I 'knew' it for a while, before I could really put it together. Then Ray's book put the whole sham to light - and whoosh - my last 45 years of belief evaporated.

Jeff

Wow Jeff, that's my story too. I kept on say to my hubby "There's something wrong with us, where is the love?" I got c of c and the rest is history.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

You know JK - that hasn't even made any waves here - I doubt the south african jdubs even know about the connection.

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

For me, it was the arrogance. The way the Elders would petulantly demand their double honor even when they were supposed to be giving talks about how Elders should treat the flock. When the magazines even started sounding like that to me, I plummeted down the dark side. And I'm glad I did.

IsaacJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit