What was it that "clicked" w/ you that this wasn't the "true religion"?

by cognac 47 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

For me, it was not being able to prove that people were going to be resurrected to earth... I'm still not sure of the answer, but for some reason that just started this huge, fast snowball of different things that I couldn't prove...

This lightbulb just went off in my head...

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Mine was the corruption...then I read Franz and it really clicked!

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

The utter hypocrisy is what sealed the deal for me. I was also in the position where I saw first hand the corruption.

• cognac
    cognac
    I was also in the position where I saw first hand the corruption.

What was the corruption that you saw? Just curious...

Burger -

Were you nervous to read CofC?

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

For me it was the JW's beginnings. I read Apocolypse Delayed by James Penton, and came to realize that the whole thing started out in a way that there is no possibility that it had God's blessing.

Kwin

• dawg
    dawg

Went to a "special" talk one Thursday, where there was to be a "special announcment"... I always read the paper, that week I had read where non-profits would no longer be allowed to ask for a price for the things they sell. THe special announcement ended up being that they would no longer ask for a price for the items they were selling... they said, they felt the end was near and Jehovah had directed them to do this... I'm sure many of you know of this as the announcemtn was made all across the US...

I told dad they were lying in the car that night, he came unglued, then I knew it was all a sham... my research proved it.

• 5go
    5go

I honestly say it wasn't any one thing. It was so many things altogether and being forced to admit to them that finally drove me out, at least mentally.

• dFromTheD
    dFromTheD

For me, i became REALLY bored of going to the hall. I had drive an hour home, get ready, break my neck to eat a bite and then be late and have to deal with 'concerned' people. Quite some time later I started reading science websites and started seeing pictures of how big the universe really is. Got to the point where I questioned why would god make a universe this big just for a tiny planet? It didnt make sense why he would be so concerned with things like blood and weather or not I was allowed to wear a goatee that it started looking silly. Finally I stumbled in to this website and found more reasons why JWs are outright silly in nature.

Its just easier being atheist. Less questions. :)

• sacolton
    sacolton

The numerous false prophecies was a huge red flag for me. Noone should take those lightly. Then I researched

more into the history of Charles ("The Jellyfish") Russell and Judge ("Boozer") Rutherford and it was like a house

of cards.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The utter lack of love that mimicked what Jesus said.

I 'knew' it for a while, before I could really put it together. Then Ray's book put the whole sham to light - and whoosh - my last 45 years of belief evaporated.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit